Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jun 2013 (Monday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bride cancels then reschedules

joellelee
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 03, 2013 11:43 |  #1

SO, bride calls me to cancel three weeks before her wedding and I schedule another wedding only to have her call me back a week later to say the wedding is back on! She agreed initially that the deposit is nonrefundable. Now they want a refund since the wedding is back on. They brought up the fact that they did not cancel in writing.

What should I do?

sponsored links
Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2013 11:48 |  #2

Oh boy, you are in a pickle now!
Do you have a e-mail from her saying that the wedding is cancelled?
Anything?

If not, than my advice would be find someone to shoot her wedding no matter who, just get someone!

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 03, 2013 11:50 |  #3

No, just her calling me...this has never happened to me before. I could give her the money back, I suppose.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,235 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 03, 2013 11:52 |  #4

The purpose of a nonrefundable deposit is so that you dont lose income from the lost day. Since you rescheduled another job on that day you probably should refund the deposit. If the job you replaced it with will result in a smaller fee than the cancelled event you would be justified in keeping the difference between the two.

tomj
633 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 03, 2013 11:54 |  #5

Am I reading this right, that her issue is the deposit return, not that you can't shoot the wedding?

Since you have been able to book another wedding on her original date, you don't really have a loss, the right thing to do is refund the deposit. (Even though you contract may say otherwise there's room for descretion here.)

Flickr (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,388 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 03, 2013 11:55 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

+1 to what Gonzo said.

Except that I would wait three weeks to see if the wedding really is back on.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 03, 2013 11:57 as a reply to  @ joellelee's post |  #7

I would refund the money... if I was you. Being that you booked another wedding, you aren't out any income. The last thing you need is an angry bride stewing over a deposit. Let this be a lesson though, always get contractual agreements in writing.

Also, I find it a bit odd that brides are changing dates, booking photographers weeks before their wedding. Business is business though :)

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 03, 2013 11:57 |  #8

I agree - and in fact my contracts states that I will only refund if a similar wedding is able to be booked to replace the cancelled one.

You could technically go to court as their verbal cancellation of the event is good enough. Your word vs. theirs. I'd see if I can find some snip from Facebook or something where someone else mentions they are glad it's back on or worked out or something if you really cared to keep the deposit.

Gear List

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2013 11:58 |  #9

joellelee wrote in post #15995084 (external link)
No, just her calling me...this has never happened to me before. I could give her the money back, I suppose.

Did you sign a contract with the bride and groom?
And what does your contract say?

It all depends on the contract, it is hard to say who is in right now. I agree that it is very rude and untaught full from her behalf to let you go trough this, but if you don't have anything in writing that they have cancelled, then it is your responsibility to cover the wedding.

Simply refunding the money would not work in this case, legally. But again it all depends on your contract.

2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

joellelee
THREAD ­ STARTER
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 03, 2013 12:06 |  #10

Sorry I wasn't more clear, its more complicated. The new wedding I'm shooting is for my cousin. I initially said I couldn't do it, but then I said I could now. She cancelled her other cheapo photographer in favor of me now....so, I cannot leave family hanging. Its no charge to mycousin...so returning the brides deposit back would screw me. She signed an initial contract with me that says no deposit returned upon cancellation...but when she cancelled I didn't think about having her sign anything...ugh.

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2013 12:09 |  #11

Here's my question to all of you: If you were in this situation, would you deal with either bride or the groom ever again for anything? (whether it be another wedding date, engagement shoot, newborn shoot, referrals, etc.)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,235 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 03, 2013 12:10 |  #12

You cant have your cake and eat it too. You took the deposit to hold the date. Then it got cancelled so you get the deposit, but you resheduled a free event (not the same as a paying gig) now the original wedding is back and you refuse to shoot it and still want to keep the deposit. Thats not fair. Essentially you want her to pay you to shoot your cousin's wedding.

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2013 12:13 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #15995174 (external link)
You cant have your cake and eat it too. You took the deposit to hold the date. Then it got cancelled so you get the deposit, but you resheduled a free event (not the same as a paying gig) now the original wedding is back and you refuse to shoot it and still want to keep the deposit. Thats not fair. Essentially you want her to pay you to shoot your cousin's wedding.

I agree with this. End of the day, you booked yourself with another event. Whether you do it for free or for a fee, well that's your call and your loss.

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2013 12:16 |  #14

joellelee wrote in post #15995159 (external link)
Sorry I wasn't more clear, its more complicated. The new wedding I'm shooting is for my cousin. I initially said I couldn't do it, but then I said I could now. She cancelled her other cheapo photographer in favor of me now....so, I cannot leave family hanging. Its no charge to mycousin...so returning the brides deposit back would screw me. She signed an initial contract with me that says no deposit returned upon cancellation...but when she cancelled I didn't think about having her sign anything...ugh.

I would try to find a photographer for the wedding! In my contract it states, in case of illness, act of God I would do anything possible to find replacement.

Do you know anyone, do you have good photographer friends who could jump in for you?
If you do it right, the bride will recommend you because you saved the day, but if you leave her hanging than the word will spread quick about your services.

Be professional and find a replacement, even if you loose some money ;)

This time it will be a pain, I am sure, but the future is more important than a pinch now.

Don't miss this opportunity ;)

jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 03, 2013 12:39 |  #15

What does the bride want?
You to shoot her wedding? or
You to refund her deposit?

Is it common practice for wedding photographers to get cancellations in writing?

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

sponsored links

7,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bride cancels then reschedules
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.