Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Jun 2013 (Monday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens choice for graduation events

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 03, 2013 17:05 |  #1

Hi everyon, I come to seek suggestions on lens selection. I am invited to a friend's PhD. graduation ceremony. I want to take some photos for him. Question is I have no idea what will happen during the event and how far apart my friend and I would be. Has any of you attended such event? Which lenses should I bring? I have a FF camera. I'll definitely mount a 24-105, then should I bring a 70-200 2.8 or 100-400 for telephoto? I am reluctant to take both. Or you have some other suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 03, 2013 17:22 |  #2

Make sure photography is allowed. The university I attend does not allow any (which doesn't sit well with photo majors LOL).

The 70-200 would be my pick if photography is allowed.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

skycolt
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 03, 2013 17:45 |  #3

Ha, I'll make sure to check that.

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 03, 2013 18:02 |  #4

Be prepared for a dark venue... Ph.D. hooding ceremonies seem to always be dark. Mine was. Perhaps the coordinators think that it gives it a "mood" or something. Just be prepared for the dark.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 04, 2013 08:52 |  #5

skycolt wrote in post #15996148 (external link)
Hi everyon, I come to seek suggestions on lens selection. I am invited to a friend's PhD. graduation ceremony. I want to take some photos for him. Question is I have no idea what will happen during the event and how far apart my friend and I would be. Has any of you attended such event? Which lenses should I bring? I have a FF camera. I'll definitely mount a 24-105, then should I bring a 70-200 2.8 or 100-400 for telephoto? I am reluctant to take both. Or you have some other suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance

depends if it's indoors or out but the best graduation pics I've taken were after the ceremony where you can set up for a good "cap and gown with diploma" shot

stevensondrive
33 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 04, 2013 09:21 |  #6

24-105 and 100-400

Canon 6D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L, 100L Macro, 50 1.8, 430EXii

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 04, 2013 09:34 |  #7

The fastest, longest, lens you have.

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,726 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 04, 2013 10:03 |  #8

I just shot a graduation in a very dark theater, the 70 to 200 f2.8 IS II was great. If he gets too far way I would suggest cropping.

Also bring a flash, if photography is allowed there will be a lot of point and shoots with little flashes.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

sponsored links

1,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens choice for graduation events
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.