Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 29 May 2013 (Wednesday) 22:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what's wrong with my S100?

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 29, 2013 22:19 |  #1

the colors seem a little flat/washed out, and skin tones make the people look like plastic dolls. i know flash doesnt help, but similar pics from this event with an S95 did not seem to suffer from this oversaturation/plastic look

for your consideration.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0295 (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0282 (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_0280 (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_0274 (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_0271 (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 03, 2013 13:46 |  #2

bump

noone?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 03, 2013 13:52 |  #3

looks fine for a point and shoot to me. exposures seem higher on some of the pictures based on either flash/ambient light/ other photographer's flash.

welcome to the limitations of a point and shoot.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 03, 2013 21:34 |  #4

Overly aggressive noise reduction?

What are your settings? What mode are you shooting in?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 03, 2013 22:39 |  #5

These were all shot in P mode i believe. Exif shows ISO400 for all but the last one which was ISO800, and these are all either f/2, 2.2, or 2.5....this was obviously set by the camera in P mode (another quirk, why does it always try to shoot wide open in P or auto)

I didnt really do any NR in Lr3, this is mostly sooc. Just strange that colors look so flat and plastic.

C2thew, i tempered my expectations for the PnS, didnt want to bring my SLR with me, but even a friend's S95 seemed to have done a better job! Thats what the most frustrating thing is....

Thanks for the replies so far. Im trying to find pics of night events indoors in the sample pic thread but no dice :/

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 04, 2013 03:30 |  #6

What's your camera's NR set at? Usually in-camera NRs give way worse (more plastic-y) results than PP NR.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 04, 2013 06:30 |  #7

it looks like the camera handled the scenes relatively well, however my theory is that since you were shooting wide open or close to that with flash and ambient; the end result is less definition to the skin. This has happened to me with my dslr when overexposing the flash in a similar situation. If you try shooting with flash and want more detail at the cost of ambient light, stop down to f/5.6 and you'll be able to bring back more detail.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 04, 2013 18:29 |  #8

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15997678 (external link)
What's your camera's NR set at? Usually in-camera NRs give way worse (more plastic-y) results than PP NR.

probably standard. i dont think i ever touched that setting.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 12, 2013 18:55 |  #9

There are several important unknowns here.

Did you shoot RAW or JPG?
If RAW, what program did you initially process the RAW with? If not DPP, try that. I use DPP for my S100 and don't feel like my images look this saturated, by default.

If JPG, what picture style settings?
What was your white balance set to?

sponsored links

1,297 views & 0 likes for this thread
what's wrong with my S100?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.