Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 02, 2013 19:21 |  #3061

MakisM1 wrote in post #15991524 (external link)
Sirrith,

Thank you for the post/review,

Do they have a guideline on how to estimate the corrections based on shooting some target?

i.e. Shooting at a distance of 0.4 m I determine I have a front-focus of 4 mm. How do they propose to translate this to Sigma Dock correction units?

I'm not sure. I'd guess it is the same way you do it with in-body MA. Trial and error. The manual seems to suggest this is the way to do it too.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,547 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 02, 2013 20:16 |  #3062

Sirrith wrote in post #15992989 (external link)
I'm not sure. I'd guess it is the same way you do it with in-body MA. Trial and error. The manual seems to suggest this is the way to do it too.

Thank you Tom.

Trial and error for one point is ok... for 2 points (one at either end of a zoom) is reasonable. 4 distances/FL will drive you do distraction... I suspect that it is not entirely linear. By pinning one point, you affect they neighboring ones...

Well, anyway, I will not be buying another lens anytime soon :rolleyes:

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 03, 2013 08:16 |  #3063

Someone posted a while back that they sent their lens in to Sigma for calibration because they were having inconsistent focusing issues. Sigma took a bit longer because they were waiting for the new firmware before sending it back.

The user initially reported that the lens was working great once they received it back. I don't know if that was just a honeymoon phase though.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 03, 2013 08:16 |  #3064

Looks like my Dock is about to be shipped by BH, I hoped to get it by today as I'm leaving for San Diego tomorrow, oh well.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

sharad.medhavi
531 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 04, 2013 08:23 |  #3065

I finally got this lens. Settled down on an MA of +2/+3 on my 5D III . It seems to work fine in all light situations.
I used it quite a bit for a family outing for 4 days, along with my 135L and 17-40L. It works extremely well wide open. It retains better color, contrast and sharpness at f/1.4 than my Canon 50mm f/1.4.
So I guess I won the lottery ;)

Sharad Medhavi
Facebook (external link), Flickr stream (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III | 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4, 17-40mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/4 L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, Rokinon 14 2.8

mariosworld343
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 04, 2013 12:51 |  #3066

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/8950022707_ff0ffb1205_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/16848360@N02/8​950022707/  (external link)
merging (external link) by mariosworld343 (external link), on Flickr

Nikon D850
14-24mm, 50mm Opera, 60g macro, 105g, 200mm f/2 vr2

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 04, 2013 20:56 as a reply to  @ mariosworld343's post |  #3067
bannedPermanent ban

B&H is shipping the dock now ...

Dave

TheLensGuy
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 04, 2013 21:24 |  #3068
bannedPermanent ban

Focusing, focusing, focusing. You guys need to read up on how MA works. The micro adjustment you make heavily depends on the focus distance. That means of the million possible focus points in the universe, when you adjust the lens +2 and +3 for the distance X, it will still be out of focus for X+100 and X-250. You will sit there and spend hours pulling your hair out trying to get the perfect focus and you will think that you got it, then you will go out and take 10 pictures and see 9 of them will be out of focus.

I have spent so much time and money on so many Sigma lenses (because I actually used to think it was a waste of money to buy L lenses at first and how Sigma was "good enough"). I forgot to exact count, but I tried at least 4 50mm and 3 85mm Sigma lenses on my 5D III as well as 3 of the 30mm on my crop. After so many returns and so many shipping fees and twice sending my body in for calibration, I realized there is just no way to make this work.

You can make yourself believe that your MA is good enough, but I guarantee you that's simply because you are either not looking good enough or you are not using the lens in different settings in different apertures. Anyways, I finally gave up and sold all my Sigma lenses and moved to Canon's L glass and could not be happier. Now I buy a lens, put it on, and it works. Tack sharp focus in every focus distance.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,547 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 04, 2013 21:29 |  #3069

Great idea!:D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 04, 2013 21:30 |  #3070

TheLensGuy wrote in post #16000628 (external link)
Focusing, focusing, focusing. You guys need to read up on how MA works. The micro adjustment you make heavily depends on the focus distance. That means of the million possible focus points in the universe, when you adjust the lens +2 and +3 for the distance X, it will still be out of focus for X+100 and X-250. You will sit there and spend hours pulling your hair out trying to get the perfect focus and you will think that you got it, then you will go out and take 10 pictures and see 9 of them will be out of focus.

I have spent so much time and money on so many Sigma lenses (because I actually used to think it was a waste of money to buy L lenses at first and how Sigma was "good enough"). I forgot to exact count, but I tried at least 4 50mm and 3 85mm Sigma lenses on my 5D III as well as 3 of the 30mm on my crop. After so many returns and so many shipping fees and twice sending my body in for calibration, I realized there is just no way to make this work.

You can make yourself believe that your MA is good enough, but I guarantee you that's simply because you are either not looking good enough or you are not using the lens in different settings in different apertures. Anyways, I finally gave up and sold all my Sigma lenses and moved to Canon's L glass and could not be happier. Now I buy a lens, put it on, and it works. Tack sharp focus in every focus distance.

Yes, because no Canon lenses ever require MA.

Neil

drzenitram
824 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 04, 2013 21:30 |  #3071

It's funny how opposite our experiences are.

My sigmas are the best lenses I've ever owned.

Out of the 12 Canon lenses I have owned, 6 had focusing issues. Of those 6, 4 were L lenses. Out of the 5 sigma lenses I have owned, only one had an issue and it was fixed within 1 week at no cost to me.

| Bodies - 5D Mark II, T2i | Lenses - Helios 44-2, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, Tamron SP AF 1.4x TC | Lights - 430ex ii x2, Random 3rd party strobes

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 04, 2013 21:34 |  #3072

My Canon 50/1.2L required MA of -15. My Sigma 35 is as sharp as a tack and requires no MA. I also have a 40/2.8, but it's so new that I haven't tested it yet. But given that 100% of my Canon L lenses needed pretty big MA, I am not optimistic. I might have to stick with Sigma. (this is in jest, but it does reflect my experience) ;)

I am Sean Lancaster on Flickr (external link)
Sony A7, Contax G 90/2.8, Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II, & FE Zeiss 55/1.8 (<-most used)
Sony NEX 5N and many lenses including many Canon FD

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 04, 2013 21:39 |  #3073
bannedPermanent ban

That's Hilarious!

Dave

mariosworld343
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 04, 2013 22:27 |  #3074

MakisM1 wrote in post #16000634 (external link)
Great idea!:D

Lol thank you. :cool:

Nikon D850
14-24mm, 50mm Opera, 60g macro, 105g, 200mm f/2 vr2

Quiexo
297 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 05, 2013 21:26 |  #3075

I believe the Sigma USB dock allows different MA values at different distances, though I can't say for sure, not 100% certain what to make of their blurb...keen to play around with it once I get my hands on one of those docks...

FROM SIGMA SITE:
The Sigma USB dock works in conjunction with Sigma Optimization Pro software in order to connect a photographers lens to their personal computer to update firmware and other parameters such as focus, and for the Sports category: Autofocus speeds, focus limiters, and optical stabilization functionality. Updating the firmware can be done via the internet. Sigma Photo Pro is available for Mac and PC computers.

Focus Settings:
4 Categories of customization for fixed focal length.
16 Categories of customization for zoom lenses (4 options for focal length) x (4 options for shooting distance).

Sports Line:
AF Speed: 3 adjustment modes.
Focus Limiter: Customize auto focus range.

1D MkIII, 5D3, Sigma 24mm f1.8 + 35mm f1.4, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake + 85mm f/1.8 + 100mm f/2.8 macro, Ricoh GR

sponsored links

660,497 views & 2 likes for this thread
New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM DG
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.