Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FINALLY! A simple shutter count program for (many) EOS cameras

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 04, 2013 09:26 |  #616

cwood wrote in post #15996906 (external link)
I've helped run many sites over the years - and I think it is super cheesy to allow that type of advertising on a PAID site. It is not completely out of his control - it is something he chooses to allow on his site. The revenue stream from the ads will be very small except for the people who are fooled into clicking on them (i.e. false download buttons). And if the ad is well designed - it should be easy to fool people so you can't really blame those who are tricked.

Wrong!

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links
alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 04, 2013 09:40 |  #617

sergeyv wrote in post #15997130 (external link)
Hi Alan,
a camera paid for unlimited readings will work with either the Windows or Mac clients, but only if its serial number is unique. Cameras that can't be identified uniquely can only work with the Windows client. For Canon 5D Mark III, the latest firmware (1.2.1) restores the proper serial number. After firmware upgrade, connect once to the Windows client (having logged in) in order for the Mac client to recognize the paid camera with its "new" serial number.

Thanks! It now works great. By the way I have had absolutely no problems with ads from this site.

My FLickrPage (external link)

boldcolor
32 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 04, 2013 11:14 |  #618

Thank god

cwood
363 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 04, 2013 11:28 |  #619

I've helped run many sites over the years - and I think it is super cheesy to allow that type of advertising on a PAID site. It is not completely out of his control - it is something he chooses to allow on his site. The revenue stream from the ads will be very small except for the people who are fooled into clicking on them (i.e. false download buttons). And if the ad is well designed - it should be easy to fool people so you can't really blame those who are tricked.

WaltA wrote in post #15998336 (external link)
Wrong!

Not according to Sergeyv

sergeyv wrote in post #15997095 (external link)
Ads help lower reading prices. There are people complaining about the paid nature of the site (however small the price is) and wanting more ads!

I actually think that the ultimate responsibility with using any product relies on the user. If a user chooses not to read the instructions, then they should accept responsibility for unintended consequences (you can't save everyone from themselves).

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

Richard ­ N
125 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 04, 2013 12:56 |  #620

The control seems to be working just fine for me when connecting my T1i, however I do not see the link to PayPal anywhere.

I never use IE so I don't have any blockers installed, and if IE is allowing the Active-X control I should see the link correct?

I've tried a reboot of both browser and laptop but nothing has changed. Is it necessary to register before seeing the link?

flickr (external link) - (Coming Soon)
My Gear List
Marketplace Feedback

sergeyv
75 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 04, 2013 22:11 |  #621

I've helped run many sites over the years - and I think it is super cheesy to allow that type of advertising on a PAID site. It is not completely out of his control - it is something he chooses to allow on his site.

cwood wrote in post #15998726 (external link)
Not according to Sergeyv

Actually, what I was saying was that I don't have (enough) control over the content of the ads that are served. I do have control over the binary decision whether to allow or block all the ads. So for "I think it is super cheesy to allow that type of advertising on a PAID site" - I don't choose the type of advertising; it's Google that chooses that. I've blocked all individual ads with bad reputation and all publisher accounts that seem to serve them.

You have to realize that bad ads are a minority, despite the impression you might get from this thread. Users write about bad ads only, even if there are 1-2% of those. It is an overkill to block all the ads, if most of them are helpful and non-invasive.

As soon as I've learned about inappropriate ads from people on this thread, I went ahead and blocked them in all ways that I could figure out and think of.

sergeyv
75 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 04, 2013 22:14 |  #622

Richard N wrote in post #15999026 (external link)
The control seems to be working just fine for me when connecting my T1i, however I do not see the link to PayPal anywhere.

I never use IE so I don't have any blockers installed, and if IE is allowing the Active-X control I should see the link correct?

I've tried a reboot of both browser and laptop but nothing has changed. Is it necessary to register before seeing the link?

Hi Richard,
sometimes an antivirus or a security program disables all ActiveX options or tightens security too much from system defaults. If you have one, I would temporarily disable it and see if that helps. The link to PayPal is actually controlled by the scripting option that is described in the last FAQ item (external link).

teaco
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 15, 2013 20:08 |  #623

I just used this one, which is free (although paypal donations can be given)

http://www.shutteractu​ations.com (external link)

you run it from your computer, but nothing is installed. Works a treat. I'm almost 25% through my camera (5d2) at 35,000 photos to date.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2013 00:39 |  #624

teaco wrote in post #16034614 (external link)

you run it from your computer, but nothing is installed. Works a treat. I'm almost 25% through my camera (5d2) at 35,000 photos to date.

That site seems to work by evaluating an uploaded jpeg???
Can anyone confirm that it is accurate? I can't see how the jpeg file can give shutter count info (and not just the shutter count since the last time battery was removed and replaced).

Edit: Nevermind, the uploading jpeg file seems to be for Nikon cameras. The download for the Canon is an executable.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

teaco
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 16, 2013 01:53 |  #625

solara wrote in post #16035099 (external link)
That site seems to work by evaluating an uploaded jpeg???
Can anyone confirm that it is accurate? I can't see how the jpeg file can give shutter count info (and not just the shutter count since the last time battery was removed and replaced).

Edit: Nevermind, the uploading jpeg file seems to be for Nikon cameras. The download for the Canon is an executable.

oops yes sorry i forgot to say i'm shooting canon. Not sure how the other things work.

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 16, 2013 16:25 |  #626

Just tested it and it works great. Simple stand-alone program and nothing to install. No need for Active-X, flash, JAVA, etc. Doesn't try to dial home or access internet either. Works on my 64-bit Windows 7.

Thanks for the link. Handy program to have for the rare need.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

WylunCustoms
170 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 17, 2013 01:06 |  #627

this is a very interesting program... I literally just bought (rebought) a new canon 60d and i tested this program out.. I literally took 2 shots w/ it.. then I wanted to test out the shutter count........ and it said.. 2....... I dont know if I should be happy because that is a good sign as it is brand new.. but I also always had the idea that there was atleast 1-50 shutter counts already when you buy a new camera b/c of testing? or i could be wrong!

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 17, 2013 02:32 |  #628

I have FoCal, I bought it for adjusting micro focus, but it reads the shutter count also

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 17, 2013 11:14 |  #629

thx! checked this tool against the original thread (EOSCOUNT) and they match.

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmug (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1213134

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 23, 2013 03:19 as a reply to  @ kwando's post |  #630

I have been tackling 'eoscount' for the past 24 hours and have had no luck with it.

I have paid and it has acknowledged I have 'credit' and it has identified my camera.

The problem is its asking for more money to 'Buy now'.

I would really appreciate anyones help.

Thanks

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1274.photobuck​et.com …rd/photo1_zps8f​1782b5.jpg (external link)

http://i1274.photobuck​et.com …rd/photo2_zps06​23f269.jpg (external link)

http://i1274.photobuck​et.com …rd/photo3_zpsdb​9d2f47.jpg (external link)

Trevor

sponsored links

688,149 views & 15 likes for this thread
FINALLY! A simple shutter count program for (many) EOS cameras
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.