Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 08:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon SL1 (EOS 100D)

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 04, 2013 07:50 |  #301

Just got 1 over last week and used it on my baby shower. Everyone loves the small size and my guests are using it to take photos of us, the hosts as well. The small form factor is really good and the touch screen makes taking photo so easy even my old folks knows how to.

Gear Stuffs

sponsored links
crunchie
116 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 04, 2013 09:11 |  #302

Half the comments here go something like "picked this up for the wife" or "the wife saw it and loved it and now took it for herself" - I think Canon designed the SL1 spot on for that group. I just picked one up for my girlfriend because she wants an SLR but thinks the 600D is too big.

6D, 40D, EOS M, and various lenses

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 04, 2013 20:35 |  #303

crunchie wrote in post #15998303 (external link)
Half the comments here go something like "picked this up for the wife" or "the wife saw it and loved it and now took it for herself" - I think Canon designed the SL1 spot on for that group. I just picked one up for my girlfriend because she wants an SLR but thinks the 600D is too big.

Yes, I can see why many wives or girlfriends would like this camera. It fits well in your hand, is a good size and takes great photos. Ironically, my daughter prefers the size of her T3i - says it is too small and my GF actually prefers my EOS-M. I am the one who actually has developed an affinity for the SL1. To me, it is a great response for those outings when I don't want to carry the 5D3 and compares - imho - with the m 4/3 cameras as being great for travel or those times when you want a smaller and lighter package.

The SL1, coupled with the 35 f2 makes a very nice sized camera.

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

Wombat5050
40 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 05, 2013 12:04 as a reply to  @ CaptB412's post |  #304

Just got my SL1 this week and have been testing it with the 40mm f2.8 pancake and 28mm f2.8 IS. As expected, the images are great and the handling and performance is like any other entry level DSLR. I brought the SL1 to complement my motorsport photography work where I use a 5DIII + 300mm f2.8L IS II (or 70-200 f2.8L IS II) for telephoto shots and will use the SL1 + 28mm f2.8 IS (effective focal length ~45mm) for standard lens shots of static images such as the race track environment, people etc. This way I won't have to waste time changing lenses on the 5DIII. Also, I don't want to buy another 5DIII or 7D for this purpose due to weight, size, and cost restirctions.

The SL1 is also a great compliment to my other camera gear since the SL1 is lightweight and takes up minimal space in my bag, while still retaining DSLR features that I like (e.g. optical viewfinder, entry-level performance, form factor).

The SL1 will also be a back-body body since it is compatible with all EF and EF-S Canon lenses. Plan to put my 300mm with 2x extender III onto the SL1 for an effective focal length of 960mm for those really long shots ............., should be interesting!

Finally, for when I just want to have a small camera with me, I'll take the SL1 + 28mm (or 40mm) with me. Recommend giving the SL1 a try, I think you will like it.

http://dlymotorsportim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/dly.motorsportimage​s (external link)
http://500px.com/dlymo​torsportimages (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 05, 2013 12:25 |  #305

The SL1 does confuse me a bit in terms of where Canon is headed in the whole "smaller camera" trend. They didn't seem to believe so much in the mirrorless trend and were late to the party with the EOS M, but now it seems like they want to continue to build out that system.

Meanwhile they developed the SL1. Wouldn't that cannibalize EOS M sales, as I don't see the two as complementary products.

I personally would prefer them pushing the SL1 and developing some smaller EF-S lenses to go with it. A 20mm 2.8 pancake and a power zoom lens of some kind. That with the existing 40mm pancake would make a very nice portable travel package that would rival the mirrorless cameras in size, imo, but have the benefits that come with a DSLR.

Wombat5050
40 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 05, 2013 13:17 |  #306

The Dark Knight wrote in post #16002464 (external link)
The SL1 does confuse me a bit in terms of where Canon is headed in the whole "smaller camera" trend. They didn't seem to believe so much in the mirrorless trend and were late to the party with the EOS M, but now it seems like they want to continue to build out that system.

Meanwhile they developed the SL1. Wouldn't that cannibalize EOS M sales, as I don't see the two as complementary products.

I personally would prefer them pushing the SL1 and developing some smaller EF-S lenses to go with it. A 20mm 2.8 pancake and a power zoom lens of some kind. That with the existing 40mm pancake would make a very nice portable travel package that would rival the mirrorless cameras in size, imo, but have the benefits that come with a DSLR.

I agree, it would be great if Canon developed some more pancake EF-S (or EF) lenses to go with the SL1 like you suggested. The SL1 with these pancake lenses would differentiate this system from mirrorless by retaining the advantages of a DSLR in small form factor. Not really sure what Canon should do with the EOS-M since its not competitive with mirror-less systems from other companies, and as you mentioned the SL1 is an internal competitor for the EOS-M. Guess Canon is testing the "waters" to see what the consumer prefers.

http://dlymotorsportim​ages.com/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/dly.motorsportimage​s (external link)
http://500px.com/dlymo​torsportimages (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 05, 2013 14:04 |  #307

Wombat5050 wrote in post #16002666 (external link)
I agree, it would be great if Canon developed some more pancake EF-S (or EF) lenses to go with the SL1 like you suggested. The SL1 with these pancake lenses would differentiate this system from mirrorless by retaining the advantages of a DSLR in small form factor. Not really sure what Canon should do with the EOS-M since its not competitive with mirror-less systems from other companies, and as you mentioned the SL1 is an internal competitor for the EOS-M. Guess Canon is testing the "waters" to see what the consumer prefers.

Yes. I also think there's another advantage to pushing the SL1, and that's opening up a ton of upgrade paths for the beginning photographer. The SL1 looks to be a really good "first" DSLR. By getting a consumer "in" to the system, you've just gained a potential customer of the many expensive lenses Canon sells, and also the consumer can upgrade bodies without changing systems.

Canon marketing knows that they are doing though, so I agree this might be a way to test the waters. I don't know if it's still the case, but I do remember reading that mirrorless is much more widely accepted overseas, while the DSLR remains the king here in the USA. So maybe Canon wants to cover all bases internationally by having the EOS M system and also the SL1.

As a consumer I don't mind this, but I would really like them to go ahead and push/support the SL1 with some compact lenses.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 05, 2013 14:24 |  #308

The Dark Knight wrote in post #16002820 (external link)
but I would really like them to go ahead and push/support the SL1 with some compact lenses.

I agree. I think it's pretty obvious that the SL1 is a better seller than the M. Creating EF-S or EF lenses like the 40mm and have a small footprint would be a wise decision.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,944 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 08, 2013 07:21 |  #309

Had a photowalk yesterday afternoon with a couple of canonian friends....

here's what i got with the SL1 coupled with my 24-105

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/8986492682_2e0f5e7a55_b.jpg

handheld
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8257/8985298851_6c72a2f34a_b.jpg

Man's gift from God.
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3720/8985299131_131a34a047_b.jpg

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Jamooche
513 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 09, 2013 08:43 as a reply to  @ vinmunoz's post |  #310

I am loving the SL1 combined with the 24mm f/2.8 IS USM:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Rusty Bike (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Peculiar Purple Pieman (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gavin's TJ (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Chris and his Range Rover Classic (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Dropping In (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Brian | Land Rover 101 FC (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Chevy (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Chris climbing the Rainforest Challenge (external link) by jamilabbasy (external link), on Flickr

http://www.jamilabbasy​.com (external link) | flickr (external link)

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 14, 2013 21:41 |  #311

crunchie wrote in post #15998303 (external link)

Yup I wanted to as well but wife prefer a bigger body but the ease of use is the main reason I get it. And technically speaking, this body is for my friends and family to use it on us since they will always be so excited about the smaller form factor and I'll just ask them to take a photo of us. It does solve the issues that all my camera has my family photo except myself while my wife's camera are all photos of me and my family and none of them are together at the end of the day!

CaptB412 wrote in post #16000489 (external link)
Yes, I can see why many wives or girlfriends would like this camera. It fits well in your hand, is a good size and takes great photos. Ironically, my daughter prefers the size of her T3i - says it is too small and my GF actually prefers my EOS-M. I am the one who actually has developed an affinity for the SL1. To me, it is a great response for those outings when I don't want to carry the 5D3 and compares - imho - with the m 4/3 cameras as being great for travel or those times when you want a smaller and lighter package.

The SL1, coupled with the 35 f2 makes a very nice sized camera.

I don't use the grip at all, its way too small and looks kind of funny too on normal adults hands. I use a stick that comes with my Xoom mic and screw it on the tripod socket and use the live view exclusively. I also use a little toy to wrap around the pancake or the kit lens to attract attention from my baby subjects and my family and friends were amazed about it which they affectionately call it the "lollypop" now ;)

Gear Stuffs

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 15, 2013 17:43 |  #312

I did some studio shooting today to try out the Sl1.

Here's one with the 85 1.8.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i71.photobucket​.com …0382-Edit_zps6dec100d.jpg (external link)

-Jim

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 15, 2013 17:52 |  #313

With the kit lens, about a 50% crop of the original file:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i71.photobucket​.com …0395-Edit_zps7caaa70e.jpg (external link)

-Jim

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 17, 2013 21:01 |  #314

The Dark Knight wrote in post #16002820 (external link)
Yes. I also think there's another advantage to pushing the SL1, and that's opening up a ton of upgrade paths for the beginning photographer. The SL1 looks to be a really good "first" DSLR. By getting a consumer "in" to the system, you've just gained a potential customer of the many expensive lenses Canon sells, and also the consumer can upgrade bodies without changing systems.

As a consumer I don't mind this, but I would really like them to go ahead and push/support the SL1 with some compact lenses.

Agreed. I just bought one because my daughter has been bugging me to use my gear. She is still young and I cringe at the risk of her dropping it, so the SL1 will be perfect for her to learn and grow into photography. The SL1 will also be a welcome addition for those times when I don't want to take my gear but prefer something better than a P&S. I think it is a great camera and I can't wait to see what it can do.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

image ­ monster
459 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 18, 2013 03:26 as a reply to  @ LPMM's post |  #315

I'm thinking about pairing up the 18-135mm STM with the SL1 but feel it may be front-heavy. I like the range and it neglects the need to change lenses. Does anyone suggest it is better off to go with the double zooms (18-55mm + 55-250mm) for a more balanced setup?

6D | 5Dc | X100F | 16-35L F4 IS | 50 1.8 STM | 50L | 135L |
Gear

sponsored links

166,279 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon SL1 (EOS 100D)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.