Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 03 Jun 2013 (Monday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backlighting Interior Exterior Study

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 03, 2013 21:34 |  #1

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Link-Share/i-57cRtsz/0/X3/_MG_0087-0005b-X3.jpg

Hi folks.

Here is another experiment in HDR to combat tough lighting conditions. In this case, I thought it would be interesting to see how much detail and color I could preserve in a natural light shot severely backlit. The subjects of the shot also pose their own difficulties - these coffee presses are glass, shiny and a highly saturated color all with fine detail in the press and the screened lettering on the glass. Additionally, the room itself has deep yellow and gold paint, and the placemats are orange, with a weave pattern that has a highly defined, repetitive weave pattern.

I shot at ISO 400 with a 5DII and a Zeiss 15mm at f/8. The shutter speed range was from 1/1000s for the exterior to 1/8s for the shadow detail.

I chose 5 of the exposures and merged them in HDR Expose2 - I used the "Optimized" HDR Expose preset tonemapping to compress the tonal range and get a flat rendering with good basic color and white balance. I white balanced in HDR Expose, using the white balance dropper tool. The ease of white balancing in 32bit land cannot be overstated.

I brought the 16bit TIFF output into Photoshop and finished the image with some curves, local contrast, sharpening, etc. If I were diligent, I would have cleaned up the errors in the anti-ghosting that are evident in the margins of the trees in the background. I decided to go with a highly saturated look to see how far I could push the colors in the merged and tonemapped file, trying to get them to break. They color held up very well actually, but I tried to find a happy, albeit highly saturated, medium ground.

If you are interested in refining your HDR workflow with an extreme example of dynamic range management, try this exercise at home. The dynamic range was not super crazy (about 14EV) but the elements of detail and color presented a challenge.

That's me in the red shirt. :)

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2013 16:08 |  #2

pretty decent. Looking out the window looks off to me. (fake somehow)

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 04, 2013 18:49 |  #3

There's too much tonal compression - it should appear more blown out.

Kirk
---

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 04, 2013 22:05 |  #4

SHould be something more akin to this:

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Link-Share/i-crP9XCX/0/X3/_MG_0087-0005b-desatbright-X3.jpg

kirk

Kirk
---

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,891 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 05, 2013 06:42 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #5

I think the biggest issue with the outside view is that it's out of focus. When we view an object on a table, it's in focus and when we then look out the window, our eyes refocus so that everything is still in focus. So, in our minds eye, everything is in focus at once.

Same thing here with your image, when we shift our focus from the pots to out the window, we naturally expect everything to be in focus there too.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

SmokeySiFy
463 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 05, 2013 09:19 |  #6

HDR focus stacking?

500px Gallery (external link) -- Critique is OK: Feel free to critique any image I post
ChrisMeierPhotograpghy​.com (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,891 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 05, 2013 09:39 |  #7

SmokeySiFy wrote in post #16001841 (external link)
HDR focus stacking?

Sure, why not. Since the camera is locked down, one set could be focused for the outside and then masked in...the window frames should be in focus too of course. Either that or have the windows and beyond much more out of focus and blurred to the point that it isn't a distraction.

This is just my observation though so take that with a grain of salt.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 05, 2013 13:18 |  #8

I'll reshoot at f/4 or so.

kirk

Kirk
---

DanFrank
380 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 06, 2013 16:21 |  #9

Its better. Maybe use the dodge tool or mask in LR and lighten the front jars up a bit. Your jars in the 3rd image (+2) are very bright, but finished product is dark.

Gear "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others"

tmcman
Goldmember
4,401 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 08, 2013 23:20 |  #10

Interesting study. Thanks.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Sony A6000, 16-50, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." A. W. Dow

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 09, 2013 18:03 |  #11

Understand that the scene itself is dark in the foreground and very bright in the background, hence the usefulness of the "study." I am not trying to bring out the coffee presses in a fully lit way, as that was not how they appeared in the scene. Rather, I am trying to recreate the high dynamic range scene in a way that permits one to appreciated the detail in a severely backlit condition. My camera cannot do it, but I can use several exposures to try to capture and create what we as humans can see.

Making the presses even more exposed is not natural to the scene.

Kirk

Kirk
---

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 12, 2013 09:51 |  #12

navydoc wrote in post #16001462 (external link)
I think the biggest issue with the outside view is that it's out of focus. When we view an object on a table, it's in focus and when we then look out the window, our eyes refocus so that everything is still in focus. So, in our minds eye, everything is in focus at once.

Same thing here with your image, when we shift our focus from the pots to out the window, we naturally expect everything to be in focus there too.

I think you've hit something. Landscape HDR with a depth of field never look very good to me. I think I expect an hdr to show detail. And it throws me off when it tries to reproduce bur.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,891 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 12, 2013 11:17 as a reply to  @ bpiper7's post |  #13

Kirk, I hope you don't mind me posting this here and I'll remove it if you'd like. The image below isn't backlit like your shot but I think it does show how having the outside view be in focus "makes more sense" to our eyes...to me at least.

I think the lighting in your scene is right on and how I would expect it to look in reality.

IMAGE: http://genelewis.smugmug.com/Photography/HDR-High-Dynamic-Range-photos/i-F8PZTSL/0/XL/3G5C3155-XL.jpg

sponsored links

1,932 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backlighting Interior Exterior Study
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.