Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 04 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 18:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Android DSLR Controller - LiveView!

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 28, 2013 05:24 |  #91

Doesn't look all that stable, let us know how you get on with it.

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

sponsored links
monty87
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 06, 2013 16:24 |  #92

dman65 wrote in post #15762656 (external link)
Is anyone using the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" or the Kindle Fire HD 7" with this app? I am wanting to use it with a T2i and a 5d mark II and am wanting to use one of these sub $200 tablets if they will work. I am sure a different ROM would have to be installed on the Kindle, but that isn't a problem.

I use it with my Galaxy tab 2.7 and the Galaxy s3 phone. There are tons of new features, but my favorite is the wireless option. I can connect my galaxy s3 to my camera and set the app in wifi pass-through mode. Then I can remotely control the camera using livevew from the galaxy tab 2.7.

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 15, 2013 00:56 |  #93

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15851923 (external link)
I just installed this on my Galaxy Note II after making sure it worked with the free app.

Plugged into my 5D MkIII, this is the BOMB!
My live view screen is now huge, I have access to so much (I only toyed with it on a tripod out the back door)
I can adjust everything, aperture, EC, etc.
The manual focus buttons are very cool. You can blow your view up to 10X then fine tune focus using the buttons,. and get things razor sharp.
I'd imagine this would be very handy for macro shooters, and studio shooters.

Impressive tool indeed.

Just noticed this feature. Gonna try it out and do some testing. The big issue for me using the 500mm lens is that my hand movement while trying to dial in the focus introduces too much shake. I have never had any luck with it. The micro adjustments that can be made though this app are far finer than I could ever do by hand.

May not work in every circumstance, but match it up with a 7" tablet (or even a 5.5 inch galaxy note) and. maybe then add in a 1.4TC and that bear or wolf on a carcass several hundred yards away, might just end up being a keeper shot.

Of course birds-in-flight might be a bit of a challenge :lol:

As for on/tripod mounts for a phone or a tablet. They make several tripod mounts for tablets, then you can buy a hot shoe tripod mount, and combine them. They also make a Cellphone hotshoe holder. These while great for presentation and using the tablet/phone as a monitor, defeat the focus advantages, because your finger vibration would likely translate down the mount and cause shake in the lens.

The other thing that I plan on using this set up for is remote viewing. I am heading off to yellowstone next month, and with the little kids (6 and 10) I have 2 choices on wildlife that is reasonably static and far away.... either set up the tripod on my knees so the kids can also use the magnified view, or hook this dslr controler up, connect to the 7" tablet, and then let them look without the risk of them bumping the tripod and moving the target. (admittedly it is not ideal and not a photo quality setup, but I have very little use for a spotting scope in real life, and figure that the 150-500, combined with either a 1.4tc, a 2.0 tc or both with suffice for the week)

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 15, 2013 01:05 as a reply to  @ boufa's post |  #94

Forgot the link... this is the phone hotshoe mount

http://www.amazon.com …QTY&coliid=I2FE​T9TPCPA1D7 (external link)

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 16, 2013 11:08 as a reply to  @ boufa's post |  #95

Test photos... The light post is about 75-100 yards away. Both were taken using DSLR Controller on a Samsung Note, a 40D @ 400 iso f8. The first one was with the 150-500 sigma, at 500mm.

The second image was taken using a worst case scenario, that I would get laughed off of these forums for using in the real world... Sigma 150-500 (at 500) plus a Kenko 1.4TC stacked with a Quantaray 2.0TC. Total effective focal length 2240mm!

No editing was done... except for a minor amount of dust removal on the second image.

The targeted focus point was the base of the light where the support arm connects to it.

IMAGE: http://www.towpathphoto.com/img/s9/v95/p1604720708-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.towpathphoto.com/img/s8/v84/p1604721422-4.jpg

Ideal? No, but certainly workable in some circumstances. It makes the thought of using the camera as a 30x spotting scope in yellowstone a realistic option. Might even get a few images that could be considered keepers.

The second image would not have been realistically possible using manual focus, without DSLR Controller. The vibraton from touching the lens alone would have killed it.

icacphotography
612 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 16, 2013 11:52 |  #96

That's impressive boufa.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 16, 2013 12:37 |  #97

boufa wrote in post #15933499 (external link)
Forgot the link... this is the phone hotshoe mount

http://www.amazon.com …QTY&coliid=I2FE​T9TPCPA1D7 (external link)

That's kind of cool. Debating how useful that would be for me...

[6D]

rndman
960 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 16, 2013 18:51 |  #98

boufa wrote in post #15937865 (external link)
Test photos... The light post is about 75-100 yards away. Both were taken using DSLR Controller on a Samsung Note, a 40D @ 400 iso f8. The first one was with the 150-500 sigma, at 500mm.

The second image was taken using a worst case scenario, that I would get laughed off of these forums for using in the real world... Sigma 150-500 (at 500) plus a Kenko 1.4TC stacked with a Quantaray 2.0TC. Total effective focal length 2240mm!

No editing was done... except for a minor amount of dust removal on the second image.

The targeted focus point was the base of the light where the support arm connects to it.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Ideal? No, but certainly workable in some circumstances. It makes the thought of using the camera as a 30x spotting scope in yellowstone a realistic option. Might even get a few images that could be considered keepers.

The second image would not have been realistically possible using manual focus, without DSLR Controller. The vibraton from touching the lens alone would have killed it.

Would't EOS utility do the same. Yes it will need a laptop for it to function (no phone/tablet)

Flickr (external link)

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 17, 2013 17:23 |  #99

rndman wrote in post #15939143 (external link)
Would't EOS utility do the same. Yes it will need a laptop for it to function (no phone/tablet)

It might, I also know you can tether with lightroom. Neither of those options are practical in the field, of course.

This program doesn't re-invent a new way to control the camrea, it simply is another interface to use the existing capabilities of the camera. There is nothing new here, except the increased portability.

peteg1
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 22, 2013 06:04 as a reply to  @ boufa's post |  #100

I can't get the controller to work at all, using my 5Diii (w/latest firmware) and a Samsung tab 2 10.1. Ordered the right cables and even tried another app, so far I can't get nothing to work. I'll try some different cables next.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 22, 2013 16:25 |  #101

peteg1 wrote in post #15955811 (external link)
I can't get the controller to work at all, using my 5Diii (w/latest firmware) and a Samsung tab 2 10.1. Ordered the right cables and even tried another app, so far I can't get nothing to work. I'll try some different cables next.

that's the problem with these camera controller apps, they only work on a few phone models

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 27, 2013 22:39 |  #102

watt100 wrote in post #15957695 (external link)
that's the problem with these camera controller apps, they only work on a few phone models

They are mostly home based hobby developers. They don't put out expensive polished apps. Sometimes that gives us access to things that a mainstream developer would not even waste their time with.

Try this thread on the XDA forums. It is a developrs hang out, and both the developers and the uses community provde support. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr​ead.php?t=1202082 (external link)

1herm4matrix
48 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 04, 2013 17:38 as a reply to  @ boufa's post |  #103

Anyone tried this app on the Galaxy S4?

Canon 7d kit lens 28-135mm, 70-200f4, 50mm 1.8, Rokinon 8mm, Tokina 11-16mm, 430 Flash and Zeikos Grip.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 05, 2013 01:15 |  #104

1herm4matrix wrote in post #16000024 (external link)
Anyone tried this app on the Galaxy S4?

Samsung's phones have historically been great with DSLR Controller, as have any maker that allows their customers access to USB host functions. HTC, however, is terribad about this.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 05, 2013 10:04 |  #105

Update for 6D users: Wifi connection works; but is a little unstable. Hoping they get it smoothed out; but the EOS App is still overall more usefull from my testing at this point. (fingers crossed)

[6D]

sponsored links

40,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
Android DSLR Controller - LiveView!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.