Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 05, 2013 11:04 |  #1306

monk3y wrote in post #15981862 (external link)
Hey darosk... you're on the other forum too :lol: :D

So is mr Lowrider, it seems :lol:

Hello all!

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 05, 2013 11:17 |  #1307

LowriderS10 wrote in post #16002147 (external link)
while in theory I like the Sony's controls, in practice it never felt comfortable.

I echo your thoughts about the Sony's. I really wanted to like them, I mean, what's not to like with an APS-C sensor in a (relatively) small body? I tried the 6 and 5's, but they never really seemed to gel with me for some reason. That and the fatty lenses.

Gear

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 05, 2013 17:11 |  #1308
bannedPermanent ban

LowriderS10 wrote in post #16002147 (external link)
Thanks! That purchase was a long time in the making...I've been waiting for someone to do a '70s SLR style camera for a long time (remember the guy who filled an AE-1 Program with Powershot guts?)...then the OM-D was announced. I was ecstatic about it...BUT...I wanted to make sure I got the camera for more than just aesthetic reasons. A year or research later, I ended up with one. The Sony NEX-6 was a very close contender, but their lenses are bigger, I liked the Oly EVF better, and quality control over at the Sony lenses (especially the 10-18) is brutally bad. Plus, the controls of the OM-D fall so naturally to me, that the first time I used it felt like I had been using the camera for years...while in theory I like the Sony's controls, in practice it never felt comfortable.

I can't wait to see what Olympus will bring out next :)

I shoot 5DIII and OM-D, lately more OM-D, my girl has 7D and S95. Every since I got the OM-D, every time we go somewhere she wants to use my OM-D instead of hers 7D. Its lighter, better dynamic range, easier to use, better noise performance, what is not to like.

If it continues that way, I might convince her to sell the 7D and get E-PL5 or E-P5 or maybe she could get my OM-D and I will get the new OM-D EM7.

Ever heard of the saying "get out of the box" it refers to moving out of Auto mode and use more advance settings, I will say "get out of canon\nikon box" there are many other great cameras out there, for years I was shooting Canon only.

eventually I want the S95 replaced by either RX100(or whatever replaces it) or X20.

Gear List

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 05, 2013 17:33 |  #1309

darosk wrote in post #16002178 (external link)
So is mr Lowrider, it seems :lol:

Hello all!

Haha...the whole gang's here! Hi guys! :D

darosk wrote in post #16002216 (external link)
I echo your thoughts about the Sony's. I really wanted to like them, I mean, what's not to like with an APS-C sensor in a (relatively) small body? I tried the 6 and 5's, but they never really seemed to gel with me for some reason. That and the fatty lenses.

Yeah, the APS-C sensor really had me interested, plus in theory I liked their controls, etc...but with the NEX-6 (the body I finally narrowed Sony down to), having to change the settings with the little wheel in the back made me twist my thumb in a really unnatural and uncomfortable way. The dual dials on top of the OM-D are waaaaaaay nicer. Plus, even though the Sony has the grip everyone seems to like (and I thought I would too), with a fat lens mounted (and both of the lenses I was interested in - 50 1.8 and 10-18 are quite fat), there wasn't much room for my fingers, etc...it was one of those things that in theory it looked perfect...but in practice it just wasn't working. Plus, the M4/3 sensor performs every bit as well as far as resolution and noise goes as the APS-C...you lose a stop of DOF for shallow DOF applications, but part of that is remedied by the fact that the 45 1.8 on the OM-D is slightly longer than the 50 1.8 on the Sony, so I'm happy...now I'm just waiting for Oly to release the 45 1.8 in black! :D

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16003397 (external link)
I can't wait to see what Olympus will bring out next :)

I shoot 5DIII and OM-D, lately more OM-D, my girl has 7D and S95. Every since I got the OM-D, every time we go somewhere she wants to use my OM-D instead of hers 7D. Its lighter, better dynamic range, easier to use, better noise performance, what is not to like.

If it continues that way, I might convince her to sell the 7D and E-PL5 or E-P5 or maybe she could get my OM-D and I will get the new OM-D EM7.

Ever heard of the saying "get out of the box" it refers to moving out of Auto mode and use more advance settings, I will say "get out of canon\nikon box" there are many other great cameras out there, for years I was shooting Canon only.

eventually I want the S95 replaced by either RX100(or whatever replaces it) or X20.

I agree! For the past 10 years or so, I've been Canon only, not because I'm a fanboy, but because I truly believe that Canon's been doing some amazing things...or WAS doing. I think up to the 5D Mark II, they were miles ahead of the competition, as was the S90/95/100...but, since then they seem to have been sitting on their laurels and counting their cash, while the rest of the market caught up with them and even passed them. I love my S100, but I'm considering selling it because there are so many compacts that have even faster lenses, better sensors, etc...and as far as the mirrorless goes, I think Canon's entry is nothing short of shameful. I was really hoping for a digital AE-1, instead we got a boring little compact with basic controls and only TWO lenses, neither of which do anything for me.

And yeah, I agree...the more I use the Oly, the less tempted I am to lug the Canon DSLR gear around...in fact, the next time I go back to Canada to visit, I'm going to take my 5D2 + Ls with me and leave it there, and just keep my Olympus here. :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2013 17:42 |  #1310

hahaha :lol: yeap, now what should we do?

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 05, 2013 17:48 |  #1311

monk3y wrote in post #16003487 (external link)
hahaha :lol: yeap, now what should we do?

It's a holiday here, so I'm waiting for my buddies to wake up and we're heading to Busan for a day of shooting and general bumming around! :D

Also...good lord...you have almost 45,000 posts here??!! Damn, son!

-=Gear=-

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2013 17:57 |  #1312

LowriderS10 wrote in post #16003497 (external link)
It's a holiday here, so I'm waiting for my buddies to wake up and we're heading to Busan for a day of shooting and general bumming around! :D

Also...good lord...you have almost 45,000 posts here??!! Damn, son!

Hahaha got nothin better to do the last few years except shoot and spam :)

Nice!! Now you can test your camera properly. :)

btw, I think the black 45mm is already out. :)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2013 18:04 |  #1313

LowriderS10 wrote in post #16003448 (external link)
Haha...the whole gang's here! Hi guys! :D

And yeah, I agree...the more I use the Oly, the less tempted I am to lug the Canon DSLR gear around...in fact, the next time I go back to Canada to visit, I'm going to take my 5D2 + Ls with me and leave it there, and just keep my Olympus here. :)

Hmmm...I think next time you'll sell those L's. ;) haha

Specially if they significantly improve AF-C mode on m43 bodies.:)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 05, 2013 18:13 |  #1314

monk3y wrote in post #16003521 (external link)
Hahaha got nothin better to do the last few years except shoot and spam :)

Nice!! Now you can test your camera properly. :)

btw, I think the black 45mm is already out. :)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it...I shot it a bit last weekend, but during the week I've been too busy to even take it out of the bag.

Nah, the black 45 will get released in about a week and a half...we'll see when we get it in Korea...might be a week or two later. I'm also thinking of picking up the 3D lens just as a toy...and possibly the Pan 100-300 and sell the Tamron 70-300 VC USD I have for the 5D2...would make more sense to have the long lens for the body that turns it into a 600mm lens. ;)

monk3y wrote in post #16003540 (external link)
Hmmm...I think next time you'll sell those L's. ;) haha

Specially if they significantly improve AF-C mode on m43 bodies.:)

Haha...we'll see...I don't need the money and the Canon gear's paid for, plus the 135L on FF is magic...and the jump in image quality is still fairly decent (especially at high ISOs) from the OM-D to the 5D2...but all I'm doing these days is travelling, and for that the OM-D is the clear winner. Basically, I'm going to see how much I use the 5D2 when I move home in a year or two...if it turns out I don't use it much, I'll sell the Canon gear.

The AF-C mode doesn't really concern me (thankfully!!!), as I generally shoot landscapes, architecture, etc...for me, the new OM-D would have to be a pretty big improvement over the current one to make me upgrade...I'm pretty happy with the body and the images that come out of it.

-=Gear=-

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2013 18:38 |  #1315

I used to generally shoot landscape myself but now I almost have no time and not at the right place to do that as well. :lol: So I need a good all purpose camera now. Performance wise I think that's the only thing lacking that I really need/want from an m43 camera right now.

Yes, I agree about the significant differences in IQ. Even at base ISO in low light the E-M5's files are not as clean as from my previous D700. Specially during long exposures.

But as m43 cameras improve, it might at least lessen the gap on IQ. :) The lenses are definitely good enough for me.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 05, 2013 18:44 |  #1316
bannedPermanent ban

LowriderS10 wrote in post #16003448 (external link)
I agree! For the past 10 years or so, I've been Canon only, not because I'm a fanboy, but because I truly believe that Canon's been doing some amazing things...or WAS doing. I think up to the 5D Mark II, they were miles ahead of the competition, as was the S90/95/100...but, since then they seem to have been sitting on their laurels and counting their cash, while the rest of the market caught up with them and even passed them. I love my S100, but I'm considering selling it because there are so many compacts that have even faster lenses, better sensors, etc...and as far as the mirrorless goes, I think Canon's entry is nothing short of shameful. I was really hoping for a digital AE-1, instead we got a boring little compact with basic controls and only TWO lenses, neither of which do anything for me.

i agree, as formal owner of EOS M, Canon should be ashamed

Gear List

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2013 18:55 |  #1317

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16003656 (external link)
i agree, as formal owner of EOS M, Canon should be ashamed

Haha bw!

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 05, 2013 19:56 |  #1318

The glass is definitely good - I like what panny/oly have been doing - creating a healthy range of lenses for the little format. AF and sensor tech has been much improved since the early days, despite the noise performance, I am still genuinely surprised by the OM-D's sensor.

Gear

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 05, 2013 20:20 |  #1319

Yeah, the noise performance is about on par with what I was expecting (I'd say more or less even with APS-C), however, the dynamic range is brilliant...in harshly-lit situations, I always shoot for highlights then bump the shadows in post...I've done that a few times with the OM-D and wow...you can really bring out a tremendous amount of detail from the shadows while still having a picture that looks completely natural!

-=Gear=-

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 10, 2013 09:17 |  #1320

There are times I miss my 5d, but those tend to be the times I'm not lugging it around chasing this guy. The OM-D is so great for crawling around after a kiddo.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5324/9001797737_f96b919caf_c.jpg

sponsored links

306,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.