Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

REMOTE that works for self-portraits

Nellas
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2013 10:52 |  #1

Hi all! I have a question that is a bit different. I do a lot of self-portraits and have a Canon 60D. I purchased a cheapo wireless remote ($3.99) and unfortunately it is not working for what I need.

I need the remote to focus the lens for me. Meaning if I am standing 8 feet away, I need the button to not just trigger the shutter, but actually focus for me as well. Currently I have to set up a lamp or some other item to pre-focus on, then try to get in the same spot which is hard when working with a 1.8 aperture. If I could focus while standing and not have to move to trigger it off, that would be fabulous!

Are there any wireless ones that would do this, or does it require wired? Thank you heaps for the help!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,666 posts
Gallery: 462 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 05, 2013 10:58 |  #2

What you need is to prefocus on something where you will be, then turn the autofocus off. Any remote should do that. At 1.8 you have no idea what the camera is focusing on if you arent behind the viewfinder. At that shallow DOF hitting your nose instead of your eye can make a huge difference. You are asking too much of your technique.

Nellas
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 05, 2013 11:14 |  #3

What you need is to prefocus on something where you will be, then turn the autofocus off. Any remote should do that. At 1.8 you have no idea what the camera is focusing on if you arent behind the viewfinder. At that shallow DOF hitting your nose instead of your eye can make a huge difference. You are asking too much of your technique.

That is exactly what I have been doing actually. I bring along a milk jug on a tripod as an imaginary head, but in the past I had a 20D with a remote that would be a half press to focus, and a full press to fire it off. That is more of what I am needing.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,666 posts
Gallery: 462 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 05, 2013 11:17 |  #4

Nellas wrote in post #16002210 (external link)
That is exactly what I have been doing actually. I bring along a milk jug on a tripod as an imaginary head, but in the past I had a 20D with a remote that would be a half press to focus, and a full press to fire it off. That is more of what I am needing.

But it wont work because your DOF is at mere inches (if that) at 1.8. Unless you have a tehtered PC with a remote viewing screen you cant see what you are focusing on. Try your technique at f4 and you see if you dont get better results.

pixelhack
205 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 05, 2013 11:22 |  #5

http://www.ebay.com …ories&hash=item​256714163e (external link)

TLN
284 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 05, 2013 12:57 |  #6

Buy a Youngnuo 603C.
You can use it as a trigger, it'd focus, as you want it, and then take a shot. It's asso a flash trigger - so It's more useful than just a trigger ;)

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 05, 2013 14:02 |  #7

vello wireless shutterboss will do you great, but its $100.

it focuses for you if you want it to.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 05, 2013 19:00 |  #8

pdrober2 wrote in post #16002814 (external link)
vello wireless shutterboss will do you great, but its $100.

it focuses for you if you want it to.

There are plenty of remotes that do what he's asking for much less. Of course they do much less, too. But if he doesn't need the features of the Shutterboss (which are awesome, I have one), then no need to spend that kinda money.

Yongnuo RF-603c will do the trick and is cheap enough.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,951 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 05, 2013 19:27 |  #9

What remote are you using and how does it connect to the camera? IR beam? or does it have a receiver that plugs in to the release port on the side of the camera?

If it's the latter, are you using Back Button AF? If so, just set AF back to the shutter button and the remote should run focus just fine for you.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (R5, RF 800 f/11, Canon 16-35 F/4 MkII, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

windpig
Chopped liver
15,712 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 05, 2013 19:30 |  #10

What are you intending on shooting? The reason I ask, is that you won't really know where/what it's going to focus on. Prefocusing works by far the best for me. I have a remote that will focus with a half press of the button, but I never use that feature.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 05, 2013 19:34 |  #11

Any cheap wired remote should do the trick. At least, both of mine have on both my cameras. I have one Yongnuo and one Pixel.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 06, 2013 15:43 |  #12

You could get one of those intervalometer remotes. Many/most will half-press (focus). See this thread as an example, and his was $13.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 07, 2013 11:29 |  #13

Just tossing out alternatives, long USB cable + DSLR Remote on an Android phone? Remote live view. There are a few other tools that would let you connect wireless via cell phone.

[6D]

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 07, 2013 13:56 |  #14

I've got a Phottix Cleon wireless remote:

http://www.phottix.com …es/phottixr-cleon-ii.html (external link)

It does allow focusing, but as mentioned, it will be difficult to know what exactly the focus point is locked onto...

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links

1,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
REMOTE that works for self-portraits
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.