Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jun 2013 (Monday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bride cancels then reschedules

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 03, 2013 13:46 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #15995174 (external link)
You cant have your cake and eat it too. You took the deposit to hold the date. Then it got cancelled so you get the deposit, but you resheduled a free event (not the same as a paying gig) now the original wedding is back and you refuse to shoot it and still want to keep the deposit. Thats not fair. Essentially you want her to pay you to shoot your cousin's wedding.

I agree...the deposit is for the purpose of holding the date and to cover you on that day in case of a cancellation. IMO, you shouldn't keep the deposit and not hold the date.....I think you have 2 options, either shoot the wedding as initially intended (and I assume that you're under contract to do so) or see if she would accept a refund.

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 03, 2013 14:40 |  #17

if I rebook, I always refund the deposit but not until that 2nd wedding has been paid in full!

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 03, 2013 21:18 |  #18

protege wrote in post #15995185 (external link)
I agree with this. End of the day, you booked yourself with another event. Whether you do it for free or for a fee, well that's your call and your loss.

I disagree.

He was ready to shoot the wedding, after the cancellation he has a window of time where he's free to make other plans and make commitments.

Why should his relative get stuck with no photographer on short notice?

What if he booked a plane for a vacation on that weekend? He's not being paid, but he's committed and has investment regarding his plans.

OP's promise to shoot her cousin's wedding is a commitment.

Essentially you want her to pay you to shoot your cousin's wedding.

No. It's not what she wants and it can't be framed that way.

All she wants is to honor her commitmen to her cousin. OP had no obligation to the bride when she booked her cousin's wedding.

When bride comes back changing her mind, it's a new contract because the old one is void.

Nobody gets wedding cancellations in writing.

They brought up the fact that they did not cancel in writing.

They're bullies. Giving into bullies demands to feel good leads to more problems down the road.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,606 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 03, 2013 22:57 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #19

Given the updated info from the OP....

The OP booked a replacement wedding. The fact that it is unpaid is the OPs choice and as such any loss incurred is the OPs. If they had tried to get a paid gig and were unable to, then keeping the money would be reasonable. As they have instead rebooked the deposit should be returned.

This all pre-supposes that the original wedding really is back on and that the bride isn't claiming it is back on as a way of getting their cancellation refund back.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 03, 2013 23:30 |  #20

Dan Marchant wrote in post #15997182 (external link)
Given the updated info from the OP....

The OP booked a replacement wedding. The fact that it is unpaid is the OPs choice and as such any loss incurred is the OPs. If they had tried to get a paid gig and were unable to, then keeping the money would be reasonable. As they have instead rebooked the deposit should be returned.

This all pre-supposes that the original wedding really is back on and that the bride isn't claiming it is back on as a way of getting their cancellation refund back.

So, what's the purpose of having a non-refundable deposit if you refund it when bride cancels?

If you buy an airline ticket and then cancel, and then change my mind and call back... would the airline be in the wrong to sell the ticket to somebody else and keep my money?

The way I see it - tough luck for the bride, unless your contract states refund is possible if another paid job was booked. But even then, doesn't the OP deserve to be compensated for the meet and greet time? Or is that just charity?

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 03, 2013 23:31 |  #21

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15997267 (external link)
So, what's the purpose of having a non-refundable deposit if you refund it when bride cancels?

If you buy an airline ticket and then cancel, and then change my mind and call back... would the airline be in the wrong to sell the ticket to somebody else and keep my money?

Very well said!

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 04, 2013 07:29 |  #22

If you buy an airline ticket, you can change your mind on whether you fly or not....but that ticket would still be valid for that flight. You could decide not to fly and then change your mind and decide to fly again as many times as you would like up until the date of the ticket.
Another consideration, I'm not sure how the OP's contract is written but he may be under legal obligation to photograph the wedding. Although the bride did cancel verbally and then changed her mind, generally, it's what's in writing that's far more important from a legal standpoint.

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 04, 2013 08:56 |  #23

The way I see it - tough luck for the bride, unless your contract states refund is possible if another paid job was booked. But even then, doesn't the OP deserve to be compensated for the meet and greet time? Or is that just charity?

This. The bride is jacking the OP around. I figure it doesn't matter whether the gig that is being substituted is paid or not. When the OP took the deposit it was to hold that date and not book anything else. If the original party cancels I feel the OP should keep the deposit. Refunding it would simply show that hey this photographer can be taken advantage of. Best I'd do is try to find a replacement. Given that if I were the OP given how I shoot I've probably blown off other paid business that day because I thought I had a wedding. Regardless of how I fill my time that day if I gave up other paid jobs to shoot a wedding and then get jacked around like this I'd simply tell the bride sorry but you cancelled my services I have since found another venue for the same date your deposit is non refundable.

TL;DR OP should keep the deposit as per the contract the bride in this case is in the wrong and if she's stuck without a photog that's not the OP's problem.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 04, 2013 10:00 |  #24

Airlines sell tickets for seats. Yes, if you cancel, they can sell your seat to someone else.

That said, I've had to cancel flights before and each time the airline has reserved my ticket price (e.g. voucher) which I could use anytime within a a year from the date of purchase. Certainly a different circumstance...

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 05, 2013 21:08 as a reply to  @ drvnbysound's post |  #25

Airline tickets aside :) , yes, sometimes the clients can be over excited or difficult to deal with but lets be honest, you piss the Bride off who is going to suffer?

We all know the answer!

It is always better not to have a wedding and no income from it than a wedding, income and mad clients who will make sure you get a bad name and there for less bookings!

2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 05, 2013 22:07 |  #26

Armans Photography wrote in post #16004004 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;16004004]A​irline tickets aside :) , yes, sometimes the clients can be over excited or difficult to deal with but lets be honest, you piss the Bride off who is going to suffer?

We all know the answer!

It is always better not to have a wedding and no income from it than a wedding, income and mad clients who will make sure you get a bad name and there for less bookings!

I wasn't saying it's the right thing for the business in the long term. I was merely replying to someone who framed the OP as being at fault.

This makes me curious about the pricing bracket. Usually people say that if you raise your prices, the clients seem to give you less trouble like this.

And playing devil's advocate, if her friends are like her, I'm not sure I'd want clients like this:

I'll sue you because I didn't cancel in writing

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 06, 2013 09:51 |  #27

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16004133 (external link)
I wasn't saying it's the right thing for the business in the long term. I was merely replying to someone who framed the OP as being at fault.

This makes me curious about the pricing bracket. Usually people say that if you raise your prices, the clients seem to give you less trouble like this.

And playing devil's advocate, if her friends are like her, I'm not sure I'd want clients like this:

Well, yes, no one wants to go trough this problem.
But the fact is that the OP did not get the cancellation in writing!
This is common sense to most wedding photographers or business owners that any booking or cancellation has to be signed,or at least e-mailed, verbal agreement is worthless!

In legal aspect the Bride is right! She is not the nicest or brightest lady in the World but she is right legally and therefore she can sue OP if she wants.

Photographing weddings is a business and every photographer has to see it that way, pro or not, you have a legal obligation!

That is what separates pro's and no's, I may sound harsh here but this is my reality too!

I had to pay a lawyer to put my contract together, I have backup gear, insurance and many things that a pro photographer has to have to operate his business.

A verbal cancellation is just a proof of those glitches that can happen when not being careful.

We all make mistakes and therefore my first respond and advise to the OP was get someone to cover this girls wedding! Even if you loose the money!!!

Take the Life with least resistance ;)

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 06, 2013 10:36 |  #28

Armans Photography wrote in post #16005415 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;16005415]I​n legal aspect the Bride is right! She is not the nicest or brightest lady in the World but she is right legally and therefore she can sue OP if she wants.

Actually, she's not right. She did indeed cancel. A verbal cancellation would have all the same weight as a written one, IF the original contract does not demand a written cancellation AND it can be proven that the conversation actually took place. In this particular case, she admitted that it took place when she said that she didn't cancel in writing, thus acknowledging the fact that the verbal conversation happened.

Her own mouth was her undoing.

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 06, 2013 10:55 |  #29

CraigPatterson wrote in post #16005568 (external link)
Actually, she's not right. She did indeed cancel. A verbal cancellation would have all the same weight as a written one, IF the original contract does not demand a written cancellation AND it can be proven that the conversation actually took place. In this particular case, she admitted that it took place when she said that she didn't cancel in writing, thus acknowledging the fact that the verbal conversation happened.

Her own mouth was her undoing.

I agree. and regarding Doc's analogy of a plane ticket and people's response that they get vouchers... the OP can issue a "voucher" for the amount of the deposit for other photographic services if they wish to be gracious.

BUT

Like others have noted I would wait till after the wedding date (or make some note of it on the "voucher") to be sure this isn't some kind of ploy by the bride to go around getting her deposits back.

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 06, 2013 10:59 as a reply to  @ thebishopp's post |  #30

I would ask everyone here:

Would you rather go to the court and proof you are right or simply find a damn replacement?

sponsored links

8,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bride cancels then reschedules
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.