Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgraded your 7d to a 6d? Please help :)

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 08, 2013 21:43 |  #31

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16010772 (external link)
You revived a 2 month dead thread to jab at the 6D? :rolleyes:

Lol. Can't say I had noticed that part. It raised some discussion so meh.

7D is faster in several important ways, better AF and the body is better. It's a more versatile camera by a lot. Better in all but the sensor and some gimmicks that make me meh. It's a 5 year old camera that's still being compared to the new stuff,speaks volumes about how good the 7 D is and how.... The new stuff is. Truthfully I expected the 5D3 to be more ahead of the 7D than it is.

Plus, my response to Internet questions that ask "should I buy X?" Is always no. If you don't know you need it you don't need it. Especially in camera bodies.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2013 21:52 |  #32

Talley wrote in post #16012491 (external link)
Uhhhh. His is a direct comparison of 6d vs 7d at ISo 3200. There is more than a 1/3 stop difference.

The message I was responding to was referring to the 5D (classic), not the 6D.

The 6D is better than the 7D by about 2 stops from everything I've seen.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 08, 2013 22:36 |  #33

ions wrote in post #16012783 (external link)

7D is faster in several important ways, better AF and the body is better. It's a more versatile camera by a lot. Better in all but the sensor and some gimmicks that make me meh. It's a 5 year old camera that's still being compared to the new stuff,speaks volumes about how good the 7 D is and how.... The new stuff is. Truthfully I expected the 5D3 to be more ahead of the 7D than it is.

Plus, my response to Internet questions that ask "should I buy X?" Is always no. If you don't know you need it you don't need it. Especially in camera bodies.

How is the body "better"? Because it's larger and heavier? The 6D body has all the same buttons just configured differently, it does all the same things and imo more comfortably. I had a 20D back in the day and was never a fan of dual purpose buttons. It's also made from the same materials and by the same people, so I'm failing to see how the 7D has a "better" body.

More versatile is completely subjective. I don't shoot sports, I shoot portraits, landscapes, street photography and low light events, for every single one of those the 7D would be a huge downgrade for me.

As for the "gimmicks", I (as well as most other 6D owners) have found the WiFi to be extremely useful. I use it a lot more than I expected to and plan to use it a lot more in the future. The GPS while not useful to me since I really don't care if people know where my shots are taken, is extremely useful to people who travel a lot, have blogs, or just want to streamline their workflow.

As for the "old stuff" vs "new stuff". You're right, I'd take a 5Dc over a 7D or 60D anyday and those are both newer than it ;)

I do agree generally though that if someone has to ask if they should upgrade, the answer is no.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

1xSHOT
357 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 08, 2013 23:01 |  #34

ions wrote in post #16012783 (external link)

fwiw/imho:

I'm glad you are happy with the 7D platform, its a great camera. Seems to suite "Your" needs. But, honestly you have to consider that not everyone will be pleased with a 7D.

- Sensor is a MAJOR part of digital camera technology/advancement​s . . .of course along with processor and AF power. Most posts are about the engine of the camera, the sensor and how it performs. If you need the AF than yeah the 6D loses, but if you don't the 6D outperforms. Why wouldnt it, its the latest Full Frame DSLR with the Latest Processor from Canon.

Again, I'd compare the 6D to the 5D Mark II and the 7D more in line with the 1D Mark III.

re: Past Tech.: People still bring up the 5D Classic/Mark 1. These cameras are brought up because they have a place and are great cameras. Having had a 7D, it wasn't the end all & not really what I wanted or needed. Yes, it is a great camera, but times change and so does tech.

- 5D Mark III, I'd say pretty awesome with what it offers. Not sure what you mean by not that much "ahead" of the 7D. Compare it side by side, imho: Pretty Big Difference, and of course Pretty Big Price Difference. You pay to play

"To each their own" :D

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16012868 (external link)
More versatile is completely subjective. I don't shoot sports, I shoot portraits, landscapes, street photography and low light events, for every single one of those the 7D would be a huge downgrade for me.

As for the "old stuff" vs "new stuff". You're right, I'd take a 5Dc over a 7D or 60D anyday and those are both newer than it ;)

+1 AGREE ;)
- I would say the 6D fits perfect with what "You" want out of a DSLR . . . same reasons "I" went with one as well :)

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 09, 2013 00:16 |  #35

kcbrown wrote in post #16012794 (external link)
The message I was responding to was referring to the 5D (classic), not the 6D.

The 6D is better than the 7D by about 2 stops from everything I've seen.

I'd say that's accurate. 3200 on 7D = 12800 on 6D, judging by my results.

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgraded your 7d to a 6d? Please help :)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.