Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 04:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod for hiking ~ $200

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 07, 2013 13:32 |  #16

Carpe Lux wrote in post #16008010 (external link)
I'd go with the Mefoto or a similar one from (not on your list), the Sirui T-005.
Pluses:
-- Inexpensive, both under $150
-- Kept short (don't use the 5th leg extension) with a hanging weight I think they'll be better than handheld, especially at exposures longer than 1/4 sec.
-- They could double as a makeshift monopod
Minuses (compromises):
-- They are pretty lightweight for your load & will require careful attention...I wouldn't walk away from it in any sort of wind.
-- Both the Mefoto nor the T-005 have columns permanently extended, making them even less steady.
==============
If you had the bucks I'd recommend the Feisol 3441S without any reservation...I have one and it handles my 5D Mk III with 70-200 2.8 just fine. But the price doesn't fit your criteria....so......

I wanted something even smaller and lighter than my Feisol so I just did the same research you did...and ended up ordering the Sirui T-025X for $250. The carbon fiber absorbs a bit more vibration and the column can be removed. The Feisol was light at 4 lbs, the Sirui will be even lighter at around 2 lbs. Can't wait to try it out.

Even if you graduate to a better tripod later you may end up keeping the super tiny one for backpacking, so you won't be wasting your money.

Good luck

I did the same thing, my T-025X should be here tomorrow.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

sponsored links
georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 08, 2013 00:04 |  #17

I"m debating the same thing. I have a 30 year old Bogen (Manfrotto) tripod with a Flashpoint F3 ball head which I love. However, I can't take this on an airplane and it's a pain to hike with it. I'm leaning toward the MeFoto Backpacker. I played with one in a Camera shop today. It seems like it will handle my 7d and 70-200 f4L okay as long as it isn't fully extended. It's not perfect but it should work out okay as long as I'm careful and don't extend the legs out too far. Good luck in making your decision.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 08, 2013 04:28 |  #18

Let's not forget that if your budget is tight, you can pick up a good used tripod.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 09, 2013 00:29 |  #19

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #16010987 (external link)
Let's not forget that if your budget is tight, you can pick up a good used tripod.

Very good advice!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 11, 2013 23:42 |  #20

Dear TANCHISTU,

You’ve a very methodical approach to your product research and your presentation was refreshing.

F.Y.I. - I have the new SIRUI T-025X tripod introduced in 2013, you were wanting feedback on.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_carbon_fiber_t​ripod.html (external link)
It holds my 5DmkII, 5DmkIII or 1DmkIII with a mounted 70-200f.28 IS mkII.
Obviously, like many things in life it is a tradeoff of compactness & lightweight vs stability; but the stability is acceptable for me (and I am particular & cautious with photography gear), given its very compact folded length described at 11.8” (I measured it’s folded LOA which is actually 13” to top of the included C-10 Head quick release plate).
[It isn’t as stable as my Gitzo GT1542T http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …6&N=4075788741+​4291757678 (external link)
which I originally bought for travel but find (its Gitzo folded LOA of 16.7”+ head = folded total LOA approx 20”) too long for convenient air-travel use, hence my SIRUI T-025X purchase].

I agree totally with CARPE LUX’s great post/comments. Whether the SURUI T-025X is worth the extra $ over say the nice SIRUI T-005X http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …luminum_tripod_​black.html (external link)
(which would be adequate) is an individual value-equation decision.

The SIRUI T-025X is a nifty little travel/hiking addition.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mary

MARY

Icecreamstar
26 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 12, 2013 02:41 |  #21

Oben is fantastic, I used to have the CT2400, well made , sturdy and solid

sponsored links

10,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod for hiking ~ $200
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.