Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FD to EF-S

photocyan
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 09, 2013 11:26 |  #1

Hello,
i have read a lot of putting an FD lens on an EOS camera, so i know, for infinity focusing there has to be a glass element in the adaptor (because FD glass need 42mm from the film plane and EF needs more).

BUT (now it comes) EF-S lenses are little different from EF lenses. They need less space - even less than 42mm - from the chip. Theoreticaly there should be some FD to EF-S adaptor possible to manufacture.
Do you have any experience with this? I found a lots of articels/webs sites/answers related to FD-EF, but none for FD-EFS.
I would like to put my FD 55/1,2 onto EOS 60D
thank you
P.

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 09, 2013 12:55 |  #2

The dimension between the face of the mount and the film/sensor plane is identical for EF and EF-S mount lenses. If they were different, then you couldn't use EF-mount lenses on Canon's APS-C format cameras.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 09, 2013 13:00 |  #3

Google Ed Mika. I'm pretty sure he makes a mount swap kit specifically for the FD 55 1.2.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 09, 2013 13:02 |  #4

http://www.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​2a1e68a841 (external link)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

hcbph
92 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 09, 2013 14:22 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #5

I have a T4I and some FD mount lenses (including Sigma and Tamron plus Canon) that I want to experiment with. I don't want to modify them because I still plan to shoot with them on my A-1 but I'd like to see how different lengths work out on my T4I. I picked up a FD-EOS adapter that I plan to use in testing out the various combinations. I don't expect perfect results but I like to experiment also.

Unfortunately other than a couple of test shots, I've had rain here every weekend for the last month so it's not been cooperating with a more extensive test. I can do a close comparable in focal length (400mm) FD vs a telezoom at 400 mm EOS mount - both Sigma's.

If I ever get the weather to cooperate I'll try to post some results for comparison.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 09, 2013 14:54 |  #6

hcbph wrote in post #16014381 (external link)
I have a T4I and some FD mount lenses (including Sigma and Tamron plus Canon) that I want to experiment with. I don't want to modify them because I still plan to shoot with them on my A-1 but I'd like to see how different lengths work out on my T4I. I picked up a FD-EOS adapter that I plan to use in testing out the various combinations. I don't expect perfect results but I like to experiment also.

Unfortunately other than a couple of test shots, I've had rain here every weekend for the last month so it's not been cooperating with a more extensive test. I can do a close comparable in focal length (400mm) FD vs a telezoom at 400 mm EOS mount - both Sigma's.

If I ever get the weather to cooperate I'll try to post some results for comparison.

You're not going to get an accurate comparison if you bought an inexpensive adapter with a glass element. Mainly because the glass elements tend to be of low quality and therefore have a detrimental (sometimes severely) effect on image quality. The glass elements also act as a mild teleconverter, so the effective focal lengths aren't the same. Also, they will cause the same kind of light loss you can expect with a standard teleconverter, as well as some serious vignetting, which may or may not be visible on an APS-C sensor.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,230 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 09, 2013 18:48 |  #7

The only way to use a glassless adapter and achieve full focus range with an FD lens on an EOS camera is to buy an EOS M, otherwise you have to modify the FD lens mount. Which lens(s) do you have that you're wanting to adapt/convert?

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

hcbph
92 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 09, 2013 19:01 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #8

You're making more out of it than needs to be. This isn't permanent, this isn't archive quality, this isn't anything other than an experiment - pure and simple. If I wanted something fantastic I'd go out and blow around $10K on a 1Dx along with $20-$30K on a bunch of high end EOS lenses. Not everyone has a bunch of L lenses, not $150+ to throw down on converting a bunch of lenses you don't want to convert, nor a bunch of cash to burn on a hobby that is not generating one cent of income. I may also have a chance to borrow some lenses from a friend that still has a F-1 in addition to a 5D3, he may let me borrow a lens or two but I'm betting he'd beat me senseless if I modified them without his permission. Any testing has to be non-destructive. I happen to have a A-1, a AE-1 Program along with a Yashica TL Super I shoot with at times. I have lenses I use on them but a differing focal lengths than the kit lenses that came with the T4I. I want to know the 'what if' I try something.

I AM DOING SOME EXPERIMENTATION - that's it. I have a bunch of lenses with FD mounts that are different lengths that the ones I have with DG and EF-s mounts I'd like to play with. I do more landscapes than anything else, so I have the luxury of time to play while working through focus and settings.

I'll blow you even more: I have a number of El-Nikkor lenses on an Omega D5V enlarger. If I could figure out a way to mount them to the camera body, I'd love to see what they'd do. I recently saw a YouTube where someone mounted a 100 yr old lens on a digital body.

If you want to convert some FD lenses to work - go for it. I'm not going to knock you. Want to spend $5K on a lens, if you have the cash then go for it. Nothing will ever progress unless people try new things. I'm trying something new. Try a Minolta on a Canon - worth a shot. What about a Zeiss on something - if it fits then why not try it? It's all about seeing what's possible or not.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,207 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 09, 2013 19:06 |  #9

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16014191 (external link)
Google Ed Mika. I'm pretty sure he makes a mount swap kit specifically for the FD 55 1.2

EdMika has two different conversion kits for the FD 55mm 1.2 (he also has one for the FL 55mm 1.2)

FD 55mm 1.2
FD 55mm 1.2 S.C.C.

http://www.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​2a1bd3d3d0 (external link)

or

FD 55mm 1.2 AL
FD 55mm 1.2 S.C.C. AL
FD 55mm 1.2 S.C.C. Aspherical

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 09, 2013 19:34 |  #10

hcbph wrote in post #16015058 (external link)
You're making more out of it than needs to be. This isn't permanent, this isn't archive quality, this isn't anything other than an experiment - pure and simple. If I wanted something fantastic I'd go out and blow around $10K on a 1Dx along with $20-$30K on a bunch of high end EOS lenses. Not everyone has a bunch of L lenses, not $150+ to throw down on converting a bunch of lenses you don't want to convert, nor a bunch of cash to burn on a hobby that is not generating one cent of income. I may also have a chance to borrow some lenses from a friend that still has a F-1 in addition to a 5D3, he may let me borrow a lens or two but I'm betting he'd beat me senseless if I modified them without his permission. Any testing has to be non-destructive. I happen to have a A-1, a AE-1 Program along with a Yashica TL Super I shoot with at times. I have lenses I use on them but a differing focal lengths than the kit lenses that came with the T4I. I want to know the 'what if' I try something.

I AM DOING SOME EXPERIMENTATION - that's it. I have a bunch of lenses with FD mounts that are different lengths that the ones I have with DG and EF-s mounts I'd like to play with. I do more landscapes than anything else, so I have the luxury of time to play while working through focus and settings.

I'll blow you even more: I have a number of El-Nikkor lenses on an Omega D5V enlarger. If I could figure out a way to mount them to the camera body, I'd love to see what they'd do. I recently saw a YouTube where someone mounted a 100 yr old lens on a digital body.

If you want to convert some FD lenses to work - go for it. I'm not going to knock you. Want to spend $5K on a lens, if you have the cash then go for it. Nothing will ever progress when people try new things. I'm trying something new. Try a Minolta on a Canon - worth a shot. What about a Zeiss on something - if it fits then why not try it? It's all about seeing what's possible or not.

Unbunch your panties there Nancy. I was just telling you that if you have an adapter with a glass element in it that it wouldn't be a straight comparison. I have one, it's far from stellar and makes using the lenses a disheartening experience. Fd lenses can be quite sharp with great micro-contrast. You won't be able to appreciate that through a cheap adapter.
BTW, if you want to know what your Nikkor large format lenses will do on a modern camera, just pick up a cheap 4x5 camera from e-bay and mount your camera on the back, you'll be surprised at just how sharp they are. I know, I have a Nikkor 105 and a Nikkor 210 for my Cambo that I use with my 5D2 mounted on the back.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

hcbph
92 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 09, 2013 20:09 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #11

My shorts aren't bunched up, but I will say today if you don't use Ralph's adapter or Mildred's software then it's no good apparently to many today. Well 40 years ago when I got into photography people experimented. They took camera body A, added some method of adapter and whether it was a lens, a filter set or film etc - they wanted to know what would happen. That layed the groundwork for many changes over the years, some good while others weren't so good.

I would bet even someone like Ed Mika did some experimentation over the years. You need a starting point and something you want to achieve, then try to find a path between them. Well maybe something I or someone else will do one day may inspire someone else to do something different.

I've designed and built a few things over the years, nothing special to many but useful to others. I designed a better safety guard for a saw, it was a result of experimentation.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,533 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 09, 2013 21:56 |  #12

The issue here though is that EF and EFS lenses combined with DSLRs have been around for over a decade. If there was a simple FD to EF or EFS adapter that was cheap, simple to attach, and worked quite well, it would have been designed and many here would own it. There is nothing wrong with trying out some ideas though, but chances are it has all been tried out already, and this is simple physics, so again quite difficult to think that something that will work hasn't been tried.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

hcbph
92 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 13, 2013 05:47 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #13

I tried to get a couple of shots last night, one with a FD mount lens and the other with a EOS mount lens. Nothing scientific, just tried to get a couple of shots between the rain falls. Both were of a building about 1/2 block away, guessed on the f stops to see how they compared. Two with the FD and 3 or 4 with the other that looked the closest to how the FD image came out. Given time to figure out the best settings, I think both could be better but then again this was just a quick experiment.
http://s162.photobucke​t.com …al_3_zps3867281​e.jpg.html (external link)

http://s162.photobucke​t.com …00_3_zps16a66f6​d.jpg.html (external link)

Obviously the EOS lens was easier to deal with and likely would be better overall but if you only have one option to grab a shot, the FD with adapter is possible to get that one shot IMO.

sponsored links

1,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
FD to EF-S
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.