Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 09 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C100 vs 1DX

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 09, 2013 16:21 |  #1

I know this seems like an apples to oranges comparison, but I'm in the market for a new camera and am considering both of these beasts. I shoot 80% video and 20% stills. My wife shoots only stills and makes a little money off her photography. Stills ability is also nice for incorporating time-lapse into my projects.

Right now we shoot with 3 5dmkii's and a 60d.

I know, I know, these are completely different cameras designed to do completely different jobs. Well, I'm still considering them both mainly because they are in the same price range. I've also watched amazing looking footage from the 1DX (ie-Olly Nights by Phillip Bloom) as well as the C100 (ie-Joe Simon's work). Help me decide which one!!! Or tell me screw both of them and buy XYZ camera!!!

1DX Pros:
-Small and light
-Rumored to have hardware capable of 4K (just like the 1D C)--so the ML folks may develop a usable 4K hack
-Image appears to be much better than the specs indicate
-Killer stills camera
-Full frame

1DX Cons:
-More expensive
-Lacking built in video features (ND filters/XLR inputs)
-No articulating LCD

C100 Pros:
-Cheaper
-Better image quality (debatable?)
-Dedicated video camera with all the features you expect (ND filters/XLR inputs/Grip)

C100 Cons:
-1.5 x crop sensor
-Less friendly codec
-No stills capability

sponsored links
charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 09, 2013 17:52 |  #2

Is this to replace the 3 5Ds or supplement them? What kind of video you shoot?

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2013 19:50 |  #3

First- I can't swallow spending $6K on a 2011 camera when a 5DmkIII with ML RAW video is only $2800. Second - its also really hard to spend $6.5 on a crop camera that kills WA lenses. The C100 is a step up for image sharpness, XLR/headphones, ND, flexible LCD monitor, and ergonomics but you could by 2 matching 5DIIIs for the same price. To me your shooting style, distance to subject, and audio recording needs have to be the deciding factor.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 09, 2013 20:34 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #4

This will replace two of the 5D's. I'll keep one so I can have the full frame look (if I go with the C100) and RAW capability.

I see your point on the 5D3, but I'm looking for a considerable image quality upgrade and I don't think the difference between the 5D2 and 5D3 will do the job. RAW output via ML will help, but based on the preliminary test results I'm seeing online, the RAW video out of a 5D is still inferior to the C100/C300 and 1DX. Also, if ML can get RAW out of a 50d, I don't think it will be more than a year before they can get RAW and/or 4K out of the 1DX.

My shooting style is run and gun. Last year my workload consisted of 80% weddings, 10% live event work, and 10% small commercial productions. Audio is sometimes recorded separately via a field recorder, but not always. During wedding ceremonies we attach our wireless G3 receivers onto the hot-shoe and run the feed directly into the camera.

$6K seems like a huge price tag, but considering I'll get $2,500 for my current 5D's when I sell them, I'm looking at roughly $3,500 to upgrade to a C100 or a used 1DX. Given my current workload and the investment I already have in glass, $3,500 seems like a reasonable price if it will significantly improve my product.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 09, 2013 21:03 |  #5

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #16015312 (external link)
This will replace two of the 5D's. I'll keep one so I can have the full frame look (if I go with the C100) and RAW capability.

I see your point on the 5D3, but I'm looking for a considerable image quality upgrade and I don't think the difference between the 5D2 and 5D3 will do the job. RAW output via ML will help, but based on the preliminary test results I'm seeing online, the RAW video out of a 5D is still inferior to the C100/C300 and 1DX. Also, if ML can get RAW out of a 50d, I don't think it will be more than a year before they can get RAW and/or 4K out of the 1DX.

My shooting style is run and gun. Last year my workload consisted of 80% weddings, 10% live event work, and 10% small commercial productions. Audio is sometimes recorded separately via a field recorder, but not always. During wedding ceremonies we attach our wireless G3 receivers onto the hot-shoe and run the feed directly into the camera.

$6K seems like a huge price tag, but considering I'll get $2,500 for my current 5D's when I sell them, I'm looking at roughly $3,500 to upgrade to a C100 or a used 1DX. Given my current workload and the investment I already have in glass, $3,500 seems like a reasonable price if it will significantly improve my product.

Hm. With all of that considered I'd be tempted to go with the 1DX. For wedding work (at least the way I do it) the small, familiar form factor is a huge plus. Not to mention retaining the full frame "aesthetic" AND having a flagship stills camera when the opportunity or need arises. Just don't count on ML to put out anything for the 1DX/C - I think Canon has pretty much promised the legal equivalent of an agressive prostate exam for anyone who hacks into the camera.

grains of salt, etc

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 09, 2013 22:38 |  #6

charro callado wrote in post #16015381 (external link)
Just don't count on ML to put out anything for the 1DX/C - I think Canon has pretty much promised the legal equivalent of an agressive prostate exam for anyone who hacks into the camera.

grains of salt, etc

Interesting. What real legal action can Canon take against ML? If there was a case to be made, wouldn't Canon have already pursued the ML posse?

I was assuming the only reason ML isn't available on the 1DX is due to the small market. They seem to focus on the bigger prosumer user base found in the 5d/xxd/rebel lines.

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 09, 2013 23:42 |  #7

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #16015569 (external link)
Interesting. What real legal action can Canon take against ML? If there was a case to be made, wouldn't Canon have already pursued the ML posse?

I was assuming the only reason ML isn't available on the 1DX is due to the small market. They seem to focus on the bigger prosumer user base found in the 5d/xxd/rebel lines.

I've wondered this too. It is not as if they are in any way infringing on Canon patents by producing the firmware. reverse engineering something and adding your own features last time i checked as this would be covered under the recent supreme court ruling that consumers have the right to modify electronic devices they own and it is NOT against copyright laws to do so. I'm a big fan of Canon but on this I hope ML tells them to screw off. With that said I think you're right in that they focus on the broader market. The ration of 1DX owners to 5D/5D2/5D3/xxD/rebel owners is quite a small one and I'l admit trying out raw video on my 50D it's a monster. Just a thought but why not grab a few 50D's on the used market and ML them and then you have raw video monsters for cheaper?

EDIT nvm just noticed you think a 1.5x crop is a con so I guess a crop sensor camera body is out.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 10, 2013 07:57 |  #8

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #16015569 (external link)

Who knows. But rumors about potential blowback abound: http://www.eoshd.com …ackers-with-legal-trouble (external link)

Anyway - the after having re-read and re-digested what you're looking for - "a considerable image quality upgrade," a "[Significant improvement to] my product," etc - I think you're either going to have to adjust your expectations or your price range. Going from a 5DII to either the 1DX or C100 will be a noticeable improvement, but it may not be the significant improvement you're looking for. Considering the magnitude of the investment, renting and testing is not a bad idea. That's how I ended up with my BMCC - renting confirmed for me that my threshold for "significant" improvement from my 5DII was never going to be met by 8 bit, h264/avchd, low DR anything.

sponsored links

3,863 views & 0 likes for this thread
C100 vs 1DX
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.