Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 10 Sep 2012 (Monday) 16:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what binoculars do you use

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 13, 2012 17:35 |  #16

Vanguard Endeavor ED 8.5 x 45
They also come in a 8x version for the same price.

Very, very, good binoculars for the price. Currently they have a $50 mail in rebate for CONUS.

To me, they compare with $600 that my birding friends have (and they agree). The only exception is there is slightly more chromatic aberrations on the edges (but only high contrast subjects in bright light). However, the center is perfect with no CA at all. The open bridge design is also very steady and comfortable to hold. Extremely sharp image with little to no fall off on the edges. Very little distortion. All around a very solid pair of binocs.

--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 13, 2012 17:42 |  #17

Stellarvue 20x85mm, which are actually 100mm stopped down to 85mm to remove CA. Also a pair of Nikon Action 10x50mm Lookout IV, which are pretty decent.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

lmans
196 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 30, 2013 16:12 |  #18

Just like camera + lens....the more you put into your glass, the more you get out of it...

Swaro 8 x 42 SLC and Zeiss 10 x 42

Canon 7D
Canon 400mm F5.6L/Canon 200mm 2.8L/Leica M3/Nikon P310/Swarovski 80ATM HD
http://lmans66.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 30, 2013 18:22 |  #19

Manon 16-50 binocs. Bought in SEA

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

Alpinebully
117 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2013 18:58 |  #20

Leica Ultravid 10x32HD.

Use them for Sambar deer stalking in the high country. Beautiful bino's and a very compact size.

Travis.

Body; Canon 5D2. Lenses; Canon 50F1.4, 85F1.8, 24-105L, 100-400L. Speedlights; Yongnuo YN560ii x3 & RF603 x4.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2013 02:05 |  #21

lmans wrote in post #15983641 (external link)
Just like camera + lens....the more you put into your glass, the more you get out of it...

Swaro 8 x 42 SLC and Zeiss 10 x 42

Couldn't agree more. What's very strange is that a lot of photographers seem to forget anything they know about optics when it comes to bins. So people who would never contemplate using a 500mm f16 lens are quite happy with 10x32 bins.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,003 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 31, 2013 13:30 |  #22

hollis_f wrote in post #14984843 (external link)
Swarovski 8.5 x 42. A great compromise of magnification, field of view, weight and image brightness; all at the expense of cost.

Nice,.

I'm making do with a set of Nikon, they are very good, apparently pre China, but I would never pretend they compare to the ones I'd really like to have!

I got them at REI about 7 years ago, when they were on clearance as the new models were in. I paid about 75.00 for a pair that was normally around $225.00

It would be a bit ironic of those new models priced triple what I paid for the clearance (unopened new clearance BTW) were the not as good ones!

I've had my eyes on a serious pair of German glasses since I was a young boy. Never bit the bullet though, Leica, Zeiss, Steiner or Swarovski would be very nice indeed.

When the Japanese optics companies really got into the field, it was a god send though, prior to Nikon and Pentax, the gap between the best and the worst was huge, with little in the middle.

It's the same with field scope for birding. There were the fine German brands, and some serious crap. The Pentax came along and their scopes are amazingly good, for a lot less than the best German ones. Are they as good? No, but they are at least "good" and not just plain bad.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 31, 2013 17:31 |  #23

hollis_f wrote in post #15985056 (external link)
Couldn't agree more. What's very strange is that a lot of photographers seem to forget anything they know about optics when it comes to bins. So people who would never contemplate using a 500mm f16 lens are quite happy with 10x32 bins.

+1, you can get good bins cheap, great bins cost!
Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL are what I use - I waited quite a while but it was worth it!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

larrycumba
311 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 01, 2013 15:54 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #24

Nikon 10X50. Tolerable but, since I'm shakey I don't use them much. Had a chance to try a pair of the Canons with IS. What a difference.

dioladetus
657 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 06, 2013 15:12 |  #25

Last year I bought the steiner discovery 10x44, man I love them, they are fantastic!

www.phodiography.com (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 06, 2013 15:18 |  #26

txcanon wrote in post #14975341 (external link)
I have Nikon Monarch 8X42 binoculars. I've had them now for about 5 years and are great binoculars.

This in previous ATB version.

If I could pixel peep them, I'd upgrade, but I've compared them to an older trinovid from mid 90s and nikon actually flared less.

Plus all of the "upgrades" weigh extra half a pound which I don't want to carry on me.

EDIT: Mine was made in china, but I've had it for 4-5 years now. Never had detaching problems, but the lens caps attach to rubber armour and if you take them off carelessly you could hit the lens.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 06, 2013 23:40 |  #27

I've got a set of Simmons 10x50 Porros that are bulky but preform decently well (and they only cost $20 ~8years ago), for a long time they were my default general viewing Binos. I then picked up a set of Bushnell 7-15x26 Reverse porros that are small light reasonably sharp but have some CA up at 15x, with their size and weight, and 7-12x being plenty sufficient for daylight use, having binos available wins out.
FedEx currently has a set of Nikon 10x46 Prostaff 7s coming from B&H, couldn't really justify the Monarchs as it seemed from all my reading the difference was aluminum vs silver coatings and focus speed, and I figured if I hate them, while I've never used it first hand, B&H seems to have a reputation for a good return policy and pony up for the Monarchs.

While I see the reasoning, I don't think Binos to camera lenses is necessarily a fair comparison, as with camera lenses there is pixel peeping and price usually correlates to aperture. Binos tend to have the same general specs across the board in pricing, and it's in the finer things that make the prices go up, the coatings materials, sealing for weather, etc. So those differences are more subtle and the image is there only while the viewers eyes are, and not encapsulated in film or in a computer or printed forever. And to that effect I think it's the usage that determines the necessity to go to a higher quality bino, spending all day looking through them, hours on end at a shot, you're going to have a much different appreciation for the more subtle improvements, than someone with an occasional glance for an ID. And when it comes to birding, I'm usually spending my time with the eye down the camera lens; though I could easily see others spending all their time looking through binoculars and grabbing the camera for a few quick moments at a time.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 10, 2013 13:05 |  #28

I've been using a pair of Simmons 12x50's for about half a year after my Simmons 10x42's decided not to focus in one eye. The 12x50's are pretty good for being under $100.

Then about a month ago, I won 2nd place in the BirdsEye photo contest and won a pair of Eagle Optics Ranger 8x42's (retail $300). There is a world of difference between the Simmons and the Eagle Optics. They are lightweight (I usually laugh when people talk about how heavy binoculars are since I handhold the Canon 500mm) and let a great amount of light in. If I ever need a new pair of binoculars, I'll be getting Eagle Optics in the future.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 10, 2013 13:45 |  #29

badams wrote in post #16017361 (external link)
and let a great amount of light in. If I ever need a new pair of binoculars, I'll be getting Eagle Optics in the future.

Well, a lot of the difference will be the extra aperture. 12x magnification with a 50mm front end will give a much darker image than 8x mag with 42mm on the front.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 10, 2013 17:56 |  #30

badams wrote in post #16017361 (external link)
I usually laugh when people talk about how heavy binoculars are since I handhold the Canon 500mm

It's usually about being able to have everything in your backpack you need to live and be able to cover distance... not the ability to handhold it. :lol:

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

6,859 views & 0 likes for this thread
what binoculars do you use
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.