Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jun 2013 (Monday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disable auto download images to computer in EOS Utility.

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2013 17:46 |  #1

Can anyone help me disable auto download images to computer in EOS Utility?

I am obviously missing something. Because of this stupid stupid "feature" I missed out on a great set of hummingbird photos just now because the camera 'locked up' as it was (and still is) transferring images to the laptop.

Not only is this killing the battery, but making the camera unusable!
I'm using Wifi tethering on the 6D.

Please help! Thank you!

Still can't believe I missed that set of images :(

EDIT: And missed more as we speak :(

flickr photostream (external link)
DP2 Merrill | 6D | TS-E24LII | EF24-105L | Fuji X-M1 | XC 16-50

sponsored links
oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,224 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 10, 2013 18:11 |  #2

Start EOS utility without the camera connected. At the bottom of the main window, click Preferences. Under Basic Settings, you can specify the startup action.

powerslave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2013 18:29 |  #3

Hey I think that option only disables it from beginning to download images when I first connect the camera and start-up the software. I tried that earlier.

My issue is that it doesn't save images on the card while remote shooting, but instead chooses to download everything to the computer after each (few) shots. This takes a really long time and the camera is locked in the meantime, preventing me from shooting any more for atleast 5-10 minutes after that.

Thanks, I do appreciate your help.

I'm missing more and more shots as we speak. :(

powerslave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2013 19:26 |  #4

Man I'm kinda bummed out. I'm missing shot after shot. If anyone knows how to fix this, PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I shall be eternally grateful!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,200 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 10, 2013 20:42 |  #5

Are you kind of looking for the transfer of an image to automatically occur as soon as it is taken? What version of the utility are you using? A new relesse came out April 1st.

PaulSoebekti
152 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 10, 2013 20:43 |  #6

In Preferences, checked the Save on Camera's Memory Card window (with the camera connected).
Hope this helps.

powerslave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2013 22:42 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #16018816 (external link)
Are you kind of looking for the transfer of an image to automatically occur as soon as it is taken? What version of the utility are you using? A new relesse came out April 1st.

Hey John, I actually want the opposite functionality to occur. I want the photo transfer to NOT occur as soon as the photo is taken.

I'm using the latest one (I checked today on Canon Software downloads)

PaulSoebekti wrote in post #16018817 (external link)
In Preferences, checked the Save on Camera's Memory Card window (with the camera connected).
Hope this helps.

Hey Paul, it says 'Save on Camera's Memory card Also' which I guess duplicates the photos both on the card and transfer but let me try it and see if it works.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Here are some shots I managed with a 50mm lens.

Heavily cropped

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 11, 2013 06:10 as a reply to  @ powerslave's post |  #8

Turn off wifi tethering? I'm at a loss of why you need to use tethering in the first place.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,876 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 11, 2013 06:13 |  #9

powerslave wrote in post #16018347 (external link)

I am obviously missing something. Because of this stupid stupid "feature" I missed out on a great set of hummingbird photos just now because the camera 'locked up' as it was (and still is) transferring images to the laptop.

Not only is this killing the battery, but making the camera unusable!
I'm using Wifi tethering on the 6D.

Please help! Thank you!

Still can't believe I missed that set of images :(

EDIT: And missed more as we speak :(

One good option is not to depend on EOS Utility to transfer images, and to instead remove the camera's memory card and then use a card reader. This technique unquestionably frees the camera to be used exclusively to take pictures.

powerslave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 11, 2013 08:15 |  #10

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16019814 (external link)
Turn off wifi tethering? I'm at a loss of why you need to use tethering in the first place.

Are you suggesting Wifi tethering your DSLR to your laptop has no use? :lol:

DC Fan wrote in post #16019815 (external link)
One good option is not to depend on EOS Utility to transfer images, and to instead remove the camera's memory card and then use a card reader. This technique unquestionably frees the camera to be used exclusively to take pictures.

I appreciate everyone's responses and attempts to help me, but I don't think I'm making myself clear enough.

1. I tether my 6D to my laptop. The communication between my laptop and the camera is through the Wireless Router at home.

2. I click a picture using the EOS utility (shutter button on my laptop), while the camera is sitting elsewhere.

3. Here is the problem, instead of saving the picture to the card and being ready for the next shot, as DSLRs normally work, it immediately starts transferring the photo to my laptop and LOCKS up the camera from taking any more pictures.

I want to disable this 'transfer as soon as you click' feature so I don't have to wait for the painfully slow transfer of files to the laptop while the bird is flying off!

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 11, 2013 13:21 |  #11

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16019814 (external link)

He's using the computer to remotely operate the camera. During the file transfer subsequent to taking a picture he is losing control of the camera.

He'd like to disable the picture transfer functionality so he can continue shooting.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

automag928
240 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 11, 2013 14:17 |  #12

would it not be better to have it plugged in rather than wifi (if thats an option for you) - I'm guessing the transfer speeds over cable would be faster than your wifi tether with the camera, but I havent played with the wifi tether a whole lot.

Canon 5D4 | Canon 6D | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II | Canon 24-105 f4 L | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 85 f1.8 | Canon 50 f1.8 | 430EXIII

Gear / Feedback

automag928
240 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 11, 2013 14:19 |  #13

oh one other possibility - why not tether it to a phone/ipad using the EOS app, then you wont be transferring images when you take them but still give you the same wireless tethering option you are using, albeit on a smaller screen (phone/tablet vs. laptop)

Canon 5D4 | Canon 6D | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II | Canon 24-105 f4 L | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 85 f1.8 | Canon 50 f1.8 | 430EXIII

Gear / Feedback

WaltA
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 11, 2013 14:25 |  #14

From looking at the EOS utility manual, it seems that it always downloads the image to the PC folder. Saving to the card as well is an option.

It looks like the transfer speed of downloading large images over WiFi are going to stop you from taking shots quickly one after the other.

You might want to look for alternative methods for tethered shooting if this is a problem. Lightroom supports it on some models.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

powerslave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 11, 2013 14:44 |  #15

Thanks for all your suggestions.

As a software engineer, this is a really bummer. What a HUGE HUGE usability fail this is. I still don't believe there's no way to disable this.

The wired tethering is not an option.

There are two solutions, both of which compromise, for now:

1. Use the phone/tablet, compromise on having to use another device in addition to a laptop that I will be using simultaneously to do other things while shooting as well. And reduced preview size.

2. Use RAW + JPEG and select the 'transfer only jpeg' to laptop option, which should be a little quicker on the transfer. Then delete those JPEGs anyway.

I'm not sure if Lightroom supports wifi tethering just yet.

Canon engineers, if you're reading this, for the love of god, please please fix this. It is not just absurd, but outright stupid and a HUGE usability failure.

I still hope I'm wrong and this is one of those Lightrules moments where I'm overlooking something obvious. :lol:

sponsored links

9,362 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disable auto download images to computer in EOS Utility.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.