Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 May 2013 (Tuesday) 23:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon DPP PC vs MAC

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 28, 2013 23:56 |  #1

Hey everyone I am looking for some advice. I am currently running Canon's DPP Software on a PC that I built a while back and am considering my options to speed things up.

My current configuration is the following configuration:

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.30Ghz
4G Memory
Windows 7 64 Bit
Canon DPP 64 Bit 3.11.1.0

I am wondering if going to a current "Mini-MAC" would make a huge difference in the editing process. While my current set up is ok when I load my RAW files it takes a while to apply / paste a current recipe to 50 images at a time and when I do something like load the "Stamp" application it can take upwards of 20 - 30 seconds before I can actually use the tool.

Is there any comparison of speed with the Canon DPP Software on a MAC vs a PC? I am looking for a significant increase in speed / performance but don't want to go insane money wise.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 29, 2013 16:16 |  #2

DPP is cpu-bound, so the better the processor the better the performance. Of course, plenty of RAM and an SSD also help. Where the Mac Mini will excel is if you switch to Aperture. Then it's a photographic workhorse.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 08, 2013 14:06 |  #3

Your needs are easily met. Go with a more powerful video card if afterwards you feel you need it.

$320 - Intel i7-3770K (external link)

$190 - ASUS Maximus V Gene mATX (external link)

$100 - Crucial CT2KIT102464BA1339 16GB (external link)

$90 - CORSAIR 650TX (external link)

$100 Fractal Design Mini (external link)

$200 - Crucial M4 256GB $200 (external link)
-----------
$1,000

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 10, 2013 21:55 |  #4

Tony-S wrote in post #15980261 (external link)
DPP is cpu-bound, so the better the processor the better the performance. Of course, plenty of RAM and an SSD also help. Where the Mac Mini will excel is if you switch to Aperture. Then it's a photographic workhorse.

I bought a Macbook Pro last year to replace my dead laptop PC and I don't regret it a bit. The Mac is amazing! I still process all of my images using my LR2 and CS4 on my PC tower and it drives me nuts. I'm moving everything over to my Macbook Pro. I was waiting for LR5 before making the move. Do you use Aperture and do you like it better the LR and PS?

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 10, 2013 22:01 |  #5

Yes, I use Aperture principally for its speed, but I also prefer its interface. Just more suited to my tastes.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 11, 2013 23:47 |  #6

Thanks Tony. I might wait until I hear how others like LR5 before making the move. Aperture is certainly less expensive than LR5 and Photoshop CS5. I guess It wouldn't hurt to wait a few weeks. I had hoped Aperture 4 would be out. However, it looks like Aperture 3.3 is the latest. Thanks again for the advice.

funhouse69
THREAD ­ STARTER
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 17, 2013 05:21 |  #7

Since I just upgraded to the 5D Mark III I am revisiting this. I've had terrible luck with ASUS Motherboards so how about the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard with the Intel i7-3770K?

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,804 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 17, 2013 07:34 |  #8

Nothing wrong with either Aperture or LR as the main database and post processing tool environment. For either of them...add in Nik Suite and you have relatively inexpensive combo that rocks. With LR5, Nik and PSE.....I will not be purchasing full photoshop again....in or out of a cloud.

Note you can still get LR outside the Adobe fog....I mean cloud.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 17, 2013 09:04 |  #9

funhouse69 wrote in post #16127556 (external link)
Since I just upgraded to the 5D Mark III I am revisiting this. I've had terrible luck with ASUS Motherboards so how about the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard with the Intel i7-3770K?

Should be fine. You won't even need a video card and should be able to run dual displays (24" and 27").

funhouse69
THREAD ­ STARTER
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 17, 2013 14:59 |  #10

How do you run dual displays off this motherboard? Do connect one to the DVI Port and the other to the HDMI Port?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 17, 2013 17:48 |  #11

funhouse69 wrote in post #16129016 (external link)
How do you run dual displays off this motherboard? Do connect one to the DVI Port and the other to the HDMI Port?

If it were me, I'd use the DisplayPort for one (up to 2560x1600) and the DVI port to the other. It's probably only single-link (the specs are not clear) so that would drive 1920x1200, native for most 24" displays.

funhouse69
THREAD ­ STARTER
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 17, 2013 18:51 |  #12

One last question (I hope) Windows 7 or Windows 8? Which one would you go with? I hear windows 8 is "Faster" but that could just be typical hype. I haven't tried it yet but have access to both.

funhouse69
THREAD ­ STARTER
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 18, 2013 00:47 |  #13

So just to give you an idea of how fast this combination is with the Gigabyte Motherboard I mentioned I did some testing. With my old system I wold process 1 to 2 Photos a minute (Converting from RAW to jpeg). With the new system running Windows 8 converting the same exact photos I am getting 5 per minute!

I am not loving windows 8 so I am loading Windows 7 on it to see how it performs.

Interestingly enough I had each Windows 7 and Windows 8 do a "System Rating" and Windows 7 came up with only a 5.8 and Windows 8 came up with a 5.9. Both of them said the Video Card was the lowest rated item.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 21, 2013 23:13 |  #14

MCAsan wrote in post #16127718 (external link)
Nothing wrong with either Aperture or LR as the main database and post processing tool environment. For either of them...add in Nik Suite and you have relatively inexpensive combo that rocks. With LR5, Nik and PSE.....I will not be purchasing full photoshop again....in or out of a cloud.

Note you can still get LR outside the Adobe fog....I mean cloud.

Thanks! I still haven't purchased LR5 or Aperture for my MacBook yet. Hope to do that soon. I plan to try running without Photoshop for a bit. However, I sure will consider the Nik suite/LR or Aperture combo. Thanks for the recommendation.

sponsored links

2,699 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon DPP PC vs MAC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.