Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best strap for heavy zooms + 5D Mark III

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,194 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 11, 2013 23:48 |  #16

auto-clicker wrote in post #16020246 (external link)
I wear a cotton carrier vest for a 2 camera setup, I will have a 1Dx with a tele-zoom or telephoto on the front for action and a 5D3 with a short zoom or standard prime in the side holster.

stock photo showing setup

QUOTED IMAGE

I have the Cotton Carrier that I use with my 1DmkIV and 300 f2.8 It's a great support system. I highly recommend.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

sponsored links
georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 11, 2013 23:56 |  #17

I've been using a BlackRapid for about a year now and I can carry my 50D and 70-200 f4L for hours. Prior to going to the BR, my neck you be killing me after about an hour. The BR makes it a piece of cake; best thing since sliced bread. I highly recommend it.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

Thndr_strck
47 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 12, 2013 12:47 |  #18

I just got my fx-pro from Carry Speed and it is awesome. Very comfortable and sturdy even with my Sig 50-500 and 5d3 connected :-)

Canon 5d3 + G15, Sigma 50-500mm OS, Tamron 28-300mm VC, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8, yungnuo 565 and 568 flashes and yn622c triggers

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 12, 2013 13:06 |  #19

Well, I use the BR dual strap and carry a 1Dx with 500mm f4 and a 5D mk3 with 300f2.8. It distributes the weight beautifully and I've shot events that went past 8 hours with no discomfort.
I do have some mods that I'd recommend if you carry that type of gear...mostly redundant attachment points and such.
Cool thing is the strap can separate into two singles if needed.

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 12, 2013 23:49 as a reply to  @ yipDog Studios's post |  #20

Chalk another one up that recommends the CarrySpeed FS pro. Very comfortable strap for carrying heavier lens setups, and the additional connection really balances the rig well. I use this in conjunction with a Spider Pro belt for a second body and can spend many hours in comfort.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,147 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 13, 2013 09:28 |  #21

msowsun wrote in post #16020365 (external link)
I use the Op-Tech "Utility Strap" with the Utility Strap Swivel connectors. It has a long, wide, stretchy neoprene strap that is very comfortable and makes the weight of my 5D3 and 70-200 II seem much lighter than it is. I wear the strap over one should "messenger" style and let the lens hang down at my side similar to using a BlackRapid style strap. The strap is easily adjustable if I need it to be shorter.

I use the Op/Tech straps on both my 5D3 and 7D, and wear it over the shoulder quite often, too. They are quite comfortable -- much better than those awful straps Canon provides.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,404 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 13, 2013 10:00 |  #22

Mark-B wrote in post #16020981 (external link)
I love the very minimal Leash (external link) from Peak Design for my 5D + 70-200 combo. I would only recommend this for sling style carry. It's very uncomfortable for regular neck strap style carry, but it is versatile enough to use both ways (especially with lighter lenses).

Agreed, here. The thing that the Leash offers, that the others don't, is the ability to have both the camera AND lens connected to the strap, so there's no way for either of them to come loose.

With the BR straps, I've had a couple of instances where the angle that it hangs allowed stuff in my pockets to activate the lens release button and inadvertently have a lens come free while walking. People have rigged up homemade solutions for this on the other straps, but it's effectively built right in to the Leash.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 13, 2013 10:18 |  #23

Snydremark wrote in post #16027229 (external link)
Agreed, here. The thing that the Leash offers, that the others don't, is the ability to have both the camera AND lens connected to the strap, so there's no way for either of them to come loose.

With the BR straps, I've had a couple of instances where the angle that it hangs allowed stuff in my pockets to activate the lens release button and inadvertently have a lens come free while walking. People have rigged up homemade solutions for this on the other straps, but it's effectively built right in to the Leash.

Not nit-picking, but the CarrySpeed Pro FS does this also: http://cdn.shopify.com …s/LONG_1024x102​4.jpg?1008 (external link)
and was the reason I went with it. :)

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,404 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 13, 2013 12:47 |  #24

BigLobowski wrote in post #16027273 (external link)
Not nit-picking, but the CarrySpeed Pro FS does this also: http://cdn.shopify.com …s/LONG_1024x102​4.jpg?1008 (external link)
and was the reason I went with it. :)

That's not nit-picking; that's filling in an info gap :) Good to know for future reference.

Nit-picking would be pointing out that their marketing says it's a "unique" feature :D

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 13, 2013 12:51 |  #25

Snydremark wrote in post #16027779 (external link)
That's not nit-picking; that's filling in an info gap :) Good to know for future reference.

Nit-picking would be pointing out that their marketing says it's a "unique" feature :D

ROFL - well played Sir... :)

- Ken

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,062 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 13, 2013 12:52 |  #26

I have always just used the Canon strap that comes with the camera bodies. I use these straps no matter what lens I am using - the 100-400, the 70-200, or the 24-105. I use them when I am carrying two bodies and lenses, and also when I am just carrying one body.

I have never seen the need to use any other strap, no matter how far I am hiking or how much other gear I am carrying. The "stock" straps meet every need I have.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 13, 2013 14:30 |  #27

Snydremark wrote in post #16027779 (external link)

It would have also been nit-picking is he brought up the other 5 times(I didn't actually count but it's been at least a few) it was already mentioned in this thread.;)

Anyway the second mount to the body could easily be added to any of the other systems. I went with the Carry Speed for the FS mount plate and the Dual(body and lens) mount and more comfy should strap were just icing on the cake.

Arob1000
823 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Jun 13, 2013 16:14 |  #28

Mark-B wrote in post #16020981 (external link)
I love the very minimal Leash (external link) from Peak Design for my 5D + 70-200 combo. I would only recommend this for sling style carry. It's very uncomfortable for regular neck strap style carry, but it is versatile enough to use both ways (especially with lighter lenses).

I agree, the Leash/Cuff are both awesome, plus the Capture isn't bad either! I put one on my backpack shoulder strap to put my camera when I need it out of the way.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,665 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 13, 2013 16:17 |  #29

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16027801 (external link)
I have always just used the Canon strap that comes with the camera bodies. I use these straps no matter what lens I am using - the 100-400, the 70-200, or the 24-105. I use them when I am carrying two bodies and lenses, and also when I am just carrying one body.

I have never seen the need to use any other strap, no matter how far I am hiking or how much other gear I am carrying. The "stock" straps meet every need I have.

Lucky you. Or young. Or both. :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

TheLensGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 13, 2013 17:23 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for the comments, I got the Black Rapid Sport.

sponsored links

8,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best strap for heavy zooms + 5D Mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.