Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 21:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with selective blur in Photoshop CS6.

cjp87
102 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 11, 2013 21:41 |  #1

Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this, otherwise let me know and feel free to move it where appropriate.

I set a field blur gradient on an image of my mom and me walking down the aisle (I was doing the photography for her wedding, though I did have to pass the camera off to someone else for this one), primarily because the back ground was a little distracting with the deeper DoF. I've got a pretty meticulous layer mask in place, but even still, the blurring seems to be creating a halo around the mask. Is there any way to counteract this, or is this method of faking a shallow DoF not the best idea? I'm open to any suggestions, and would enjoy learning something new if necessary.

Here's the mask and a screenshot of the image as-is:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/FpXiA2x.png
IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/ojZMYJ8.jpg

Thanks in advance!

The Norman Cyclographer - Cycling/Photography Project.
http://cyclographer.bl​ogspot.com (external link)

sponsored links
imonkey89
446 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 11, 2013 22:17 |  #2

Filter, lens blur. Apply the mask you made.. That should work? Maybe...

If that doesn't work. Try copying the selection to a new layer, content aware fill the bottom layer (now background layer) and blurring that layer...

Website/Blog: It's Worth a Shot (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,984 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 11, 2013 23:16 |  #3

This should work since you already have the mask. Turn off all layers except Background Layer. Copy the Background Layer. Ctrl-click the mask to load it as a selection. Apply your blur to the Background copy.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 12, 2013 02:38 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #4

Try the lens blur filter and dial down the blurring.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,093 posts
Gallery: 554 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 12, 2013 03:13 |  #5

imonkey89 wrote in post #16022529 (external link)
If that doesn't work. Try copying the selection to a new layer, content aware fill the bottom layer (now background layer) and blurring that layer...

This is what I would try. It looks as if the filter is blurring the whole of the image, including the masked area and then masking the section back out. If you remove the masked area from the layer that is blurred and add some extra background in, even running the clone tool around the edge would probably do it for those still using older PS versions, you will be applying the blur in a way more akin to the way the lens really works. I tried this years ago on an image of my daughter, using Elements 2, and could never get rid of the halo effect. I think though that this is the way to solve many of the situations where you end up with a halo around a layer mask.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 12, 2013 04:58 |  #6

Rather than use the mask on the same layer. Try transferring the masked area to another layer, then remove that part from the background (simply delete it). Now blur the background only.

That should solve the halo issue.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 17, 2013 09:20 |  #7

Lowner wrote in post #16023110 (external link)
That should solve the halo issue.

Yeah, but it will give you a sort of halo of "less blur" around the subjects (since it blurs background with transparent pixels).
If you want this to look somewhat more real, cut out the persons (copy the original layer, use a mask), then clone in background behind the persons, then add blur in whatever way you like.

Like this:

http://fordoing.co.uk …motion-blur-in-photoshop/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 17, 2013 09:24 |  #8

René Damkot wrote in post #16038454 (external link)
Yeah, but it will give you a sort of halo of "less blur" around the subjects (since it blurs background with transparent pixels).
If you want this to look somewhat more real, cut out the persons (copy the original layer, use a mask), then clone in background behind the persons, then add blur in whatever way you like.

Like this:

http://fordoing.co.uk …motion-blur-in-photoshop/ (external link)

Yes, certainly a better way of dealing with it.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with selective blur in Photoshop CS6.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.