Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 21 May 2013 (Tuesday) 15:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mac or PC?

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 29, 2013 16:17 |  #31

keyfox11 wrote in post #15976858 (external link)
I wasn't aware of this. Mind pointing me to a tutorial? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

TonyMac86.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
dexy101
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 03, 2013 13:45 |  #32

I just got my new MacBook pro retina 15" and i have to say I'm converted now, always used windows but wont be for a while, so far so good with the mac, and I will be adding a thunderbolt display to replace my desktop pc and run everything from the mac.

keyfox11
90 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 03, 2013 23:05 |  #33

dexy101 wrote in post #15995477 (external link)
I just got my new MacBook pro retina 15" and i have to say I'm converted now, always used windows but wont be for a while, so far so good with the mac, and I will be adding a thunderbolt display to replace my desktop pc and run everything from the mac.

Join the club, join the club... :D

-Malcolm-
Murphy's law states: 'If you drop your camera, the L will ALWAYS hit first!
I thrive on comments...
Gear List

dexy101
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 06, 2013 06:11 |  #34

And i'm loving this club, so far i've added a cover for it so it wont get scratched or marked, its just too pretty, my magic mouse arrived from amazon this morning and tweaked it to suit my needs, its clear to me I just need to spend a little more time getting my way around it but so far its been brilliant, plus is starts up in seconds, not the 5 minutes of my old laptop.

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 06, 2013 19:51 |  #35

I used to have a macbook pro, but then the logic board died for the second time. It's a nice machine, but a bit overpriced. I can get a lot more equipment for the price of another macbook pro.

I doubt I will purchase another to mac unfortunately. I now use a windows machine, but really I'm an OS agnostic.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,803 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 06, 2013 23:18 |  #36

Join the club, join the club...

Copy that.

dexy101
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 08, 2013 12:49 |  #37

Using windows 8 also swayed my decision.

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 10, 2013 03:49 |  #38

Windows 8 is awesome. See ya later!

Gear

benji25
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 10, 2013 11:46 |  #39

I don't see myself ever using a PC laptop. I currently have:

-2007 white macbook (plastic)
-self built desktop PC
-Mac Mini (newest version)

I do not use the mac mini much. I am thinking about selling it and replacing my old white macbook with a macbook pro. The reason I said I will not use a non-mac laptop is because the aluminum build quality of the Pro's is amazing. Every PC laptop I have used (and also my white macbook) are plastic and I LOATH the plastic feel.

When I find a PC manufacturer that makes solidly built aluminum laptops I will consider switching. For desktops it is hard to beat building your own. So much more cost effective + you can customize it to your specific needs. However iMacs are pretty sexy.,

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 10, 2013 12:03 as a reply to  @ benji25's post |  #40

I had some issues with Dell, and decided a number of years ago to have a company build me a computer to my specs. No company "JUNKWARE" installed, just software I want.

It has been a blessing. The cost is much cheaper than Dell, no bloatware and a great warranty that I actually get to use with 1 day turnaround.
The only issues I have had is the USB 3 cards. Other than that, the speed and size is incredible.
I recently had a new machine built and had to bolt it to the floor it is so fast. :D

The company called me 3 weeks after I had it and mentioned a new type of USB 3 card was available, much better than the one they installed. They installed them for me for free.
Yes they are only 5 miles from my house and it is super convenient and they are open 7 days a week and we have built a great relationship over the last few years. Much better than one of those conglomerates.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,916 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 10, 2013 12:20 as a reply to  @ pbelarge's post |  #41

I'm running both iMac 27 (2009 model) given to by my mom. She said the iMac was over kill for playing Solitaire and her iPad was easier to use. Anyway the one cost difference I have notice between iMac and PC is software upgrades. Upgrade the OS on a PC from say Vista to Windows 7 cost me $147.00 and to upgrade the iMac from the 2009 OS to the most current was only $19.00 and very easy to do also. Have found other software upgrades also lower in cost, upgrading to the latest version of iPhoto11 was $11.00. So there is some cost saving using a Mac computer. Now if I can just figure out how to get into the Port settings I be real happy.:oops::lol: Good thing for me Apple has a good call in support center.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 10, 2013 21:49 |  #42

Great discussion. My PC laptop died last year and my daughter and son-in-law have been encouraging me to move to a Mac. Well, I drank the Koolaid. It was a pretty steep learning curve but now I can't stand the PC anymore. By the way, I still do all of my photo processing on my PC tower but it drives me nuts. I intend to migrate completely over the MacBook Pro and was waiting for LR5 to arrive. I fully intend to move to the Mac for everything. It's not a simple move for a PC user but I think it will be well worth while or me.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

keyfox11
90 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 12, 2013 20:10 |  #43

benji25 wrote in post #16017142 (external link)
I don't see myself ever using a PC laptop. I currently have:

-2007 white macbook (plastic)
-self built desktop PC
-Mac Mini (newest version)

I do not use the mac mini much. I am thinking about selling it and replacing my old white macbook with a macbook pro. The reason I said I will not use a non-mac laptop is because the aluminum build quality of the Pro's is amazing. Every PC laptop I have used (and also my white macbook) are plastic and I LOATH the plastic feel.

When I find a PC manufacturer that makes solidly built aluminum laptops I will consider switching. For desktops it is hard to beat building your own. So much more cost effective + you can customize it to your specific needs. However iMacs are pretty sexy.,

++1 on everything you said! That's almost exactly my opinion of the computer world in general.

georgebowman wrote in post #16019001 (external link)
Great discussion. My PC laptop died last year and my daughter and son-in-law have been encouraging me to move to a Mac. Well, I drank the Koolaid. It was a pretty steep learning curve but now I can't stand the PC anymore. By the way, I still do all of my photo processing on my PC tower but it drives me nuts. I intend to migrate completely over the MacBook Pro and was waiting for LR5 to arrive. I fully intend to move to the Mac for everything. It's not a simple move for a PC user but I think it will be well worth while or me.

Congrats on your MacBook! :D

-Malcolm-
Murphy's law states: 'If you drop your camera, the L will ALWAYS hit first!
I thrive on comments...
Gear List

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 12, 2013 20:13 |  #44

Thanks!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 12, 2013 21:12 |  #45

keyfox11 wrote in post #16025671 (external link)
++1 on everything you said! That's almost exactly my opinion of the computer world in general.

Congrats on your MacBook! :D

Asus makes some very nice solid metal laptops with very nice high gamut IPS screens. You can get Windows laptops that are made just as nicely as Macbooks.

FYI, I'm not anti *insert brand here* we are a Windows and Mac laptop house (Lenovo W520, Surface Pro and 13" MBP retina). Mac, Windows, Linux, Amiga etc.. what-ever floats your boat as far as I'm concerned but you can get quality in any flavor you want IMO :)

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

7,749 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac or PC?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.