Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 12 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 19:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ESPN: making producers shoot their own stuff, terminating some in-house cameramen.

kiapolo
870 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 12, 2013 19:16 |  #1

ESPN just did another round of layoffs and Deadspin (yeah, it's not the NYT) is saying that ESPN released 4-5 in-house cameramen for what their tipster claims is: "Main reason they were let go was bc company made their jobs obsolete by making producers shoot their own stuff with what are called 'bureau kits.'" http://deadspin.com …-at-espn-update-512963162 (external link) (Scroll to the bottom).

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

sponsored links
jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 12, 2013 20:15 |  #2

Well, at least with these cutbacks ESPN can afford to pay off the $15.2 Billion deal they made with the NFL. :(

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,610 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2013 20:24 |  #3

And the NFL sideline photographers will be producers shooting with iPhones.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

kiapolo
THREAD ­ STARTER
870 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 12, 2013 20:54 |  #4

ESPN just announced the 2013 Monday Night Football on-air talent:
Mike Tirico: Play-by-play reporter and north endzone camera operator.
Chris Berman: Play-by-play #2 reporter and sideline B camera operator.
Jon Gruden: Color commentator and sideline parabolic mic operator.
Trent Dilfer: Color commentator #2 and Skycam operator.
Lisa Salters: Sideline reporter and roving sideline steady cam operator.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

gjl711
55,610 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2013 20:59 |  #5

Don't need a skycam, fire the sum-b*tch.. All we need is to duct tape a iPhone into the football. Whalla.. Skycam.

SFtag
35 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 13, 2013 13:38 |  #6

Most of the tech crew that works in the field and at games for ESPN are freelancers so it doesn't really impact that world with the cutbacks they have been going through.

The 5 deadly words in the world of TV - "I can live with it". That is the mentality with cutting back in house shooters. Hopefully soon they realize that the producers cannot provide the quality footage and content that the other men and women could.

Professional Camera Operator
Amateur Photographer

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 14, 2013 13:16 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #16025808 (external link)
Don't need a skycam, fire the sum-b*tch.. All we need is to duct tape a iPhone into the football. Whalla.. Skycam.

Ok, might want to be a little more robust in design than duct tape and an iPhone, but I could see in-game-ball cameras producing some really neat and interesting shots.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

gjl711
55,610 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 14, 2013 14:12 |  #8

Luckless wrote in post #16031019 (external link)
Ok, might want to be a little more robust in design than duct tape and an iPhone, but I could see in-game-ball cameras producing some really neat and interesting shots.

Of course, if they throw a decent spiral, your gonna get dizzy as heck. :)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,328 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 14, 2013 14:40 |  #9

SFtag wrote in post #16027920 (external link)
Most of the tech crew that works in the field and at games for ESPN are freelancers so it doesn't really impact that world with the cutbacks they have been going through.

The 5 deadly words in the world of TV - "I can live with it". That is the mentality with cutting back in house shooters. Hopefully soon they realize that the producers cannot provide the quality footage and content that the other men and women could.

I used to work the the ESPN and Golf Channel productions on our local LPGA stop. As you say, very few of them were actually employees of the networks. Many of the crew that were with the ESPN production came back the next year when the Golf Channel took back the rights.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 14, 2013 14:53 |  #10

gjl711 wrote in post #16031200 (external link)

meh, over sample the source and auto align with a known stable point. Easy enough to turn an otherwise spinning image into a fixed one with the right equipment setup.

Easiest would be tip cams, but you could also do some cool stuff with a dense enough equatorial array. (Kind of how they did those cool shots in the Matrix by sampling from multiple cameras at high speed in different positions)

Totally possible with today's technology. Might be a few more years before we can get things suitable to build the balls in such a way that the players wouldn't want to kill us.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

SFtag
35 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 15, 2013 16:31 |  #11

gonzogolf wrote in post #16031277 (external link)
I used to work the the ESPN and Golf Channel productions on our local LPGA stop. As you say, very few of them were actually employees of the networks. Many of the crew that were with the ESPN production came back the next year when the Golf Channel took back the rights.

I travel with them on NBA and NCAA football games throughout the season and I can say that I would not want to be staff. A lot of us freelancers typically have one network that is our bread and butter, then fill in the other time with others. The people I know that have their bread buttered by ESPN get to travel all over the world, make a nice chunk of change, and have fun, but the overall demeanor of the higher ups (and not even above the line) is just not right in my opinion.

Prime example: http://deadspin.com …for-free-and-no-471205365 (external link)

This is to freelancers not just staffers. Ridiculous.

Professional Camera Operator
Amateur Photographer

Acetoolguy
401 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 21, 2013 05:17 |  #12

Hope they dump Berman soon, "Boomer" doing US Open golf is just wrong. Comes across as way to full of himself for my taste.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

BDKR
196 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 01, 2013 01:57 |  #13

gjl711 wrote in post #16031200 (external link)

I will put up with queasiness until right after we see Tebow come down with his first poorly thrown pass in his new TE role...

7D,5Dii, EF70-200/2.8L ISII, EF24-105L, EF50/1.8, EFS10-22, EF85/1.8, Strobes/SpeedLites and imagination. Oh, and an empty wallet

Rstanford
201 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 10, 2013 15:38 |  #14

gjl711 wrote in post #16025808 (external link)

Ask and you shall recieve

http://petapixel.com …aptures-360-degree-shots/ (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 10, 2013 21:23 |  #15

Rstanford wrote in post #16108613 (external link)
Ask and you shall recieve

http://petapixel.com …aptures-360-degree-shots/ (external link)

What's the image quality and resolution like on that thing? It might be interesting dropping one from space!

sponsored links

3,051 views & 0 likes for this thread
ESPN: making producers shoot their own stuff, terminating some in-house cameramen.
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.