Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best 50mm Prime?

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Jun 12, 2013 13:51 |  #1

I'm trying to gather a consensus as to what the *absolute best 50mm prime* by any manufacturer that is compatible with Canon in terms of IQ.

sponsored links
mkville
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 12, 2013 14:00 |  #2

money no object - Canon 50 1.2L
budget - Sigma 50 1.4

Mark
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 12, 2013 14:08 as a reply to  @ mkville's post |  #3

They are all pretty good. And all pretty soft wide open.... Note I love all of them. And when I say soft....they are soft relative to my RZ67's 110mm F2.8... Which means they are all lovely to use!

If you are after maximum image quality the zeiss 55mm f1.4 distagon is the sharpest. Also the most money....

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 12, 2013 22:06 as a reply to  @ pyrojim's post |  #4

50L or zeiss makro planar

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 12, 2013 22:37 as a reply to  @ Kylemorgan88's post |  #5

Considering quality, abilities, price, etc. -- I'd say the nifty-fifty for $90.

For 85+% of DSLR owners results are indistinguishable. Something to be said for that :-)

My point is the average wedding photog will likely do more with a nifty-fifty than I (hobbyist and typical DSLR own) can do with a 1.2L. So, if you are currently held back by you current 1.x, than I'd suggest you are a 15-percenter and a 1.2L upgrade is in order.

I have a Canon 1.4 and 1.8. I can only tell the difference if I pixel peep (nobody that looks at my results cares). Reality, if I spend any money chasing 1.2 it's going to targeted at my 85mm 1.8 (which I love BTW) because it's significant enough that people who view my pictures will notice the difference.

Dillan_K
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 12, 2013 23:24 |  #6

Judging by the answers you received, 'best' depends upon what you're looking for. That's my take on it. Are you looking for the best wide open performance? How about stopped down, corner to corner? Does maximum aperture matter to you? Are you okay with manual focus? Are you looking to focus close? Is accurate and quick autofocus important to you? How sensitive are you to price? 'The best 50mm lens' depends upon how you answer all of these questions. Like many things in life, one man's favourite thing is exactly the wrong thing for another man.

Gear: Canon 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 300mm f/4L IS, 5D, Elan 7, 420EX, Metz 52 AF-1
flickr (external link)

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 12, 2013 23:29 as a reply to  @ Dillan_K's post |  #7

I take my post back, the correct answer is Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 12, 2013 23:46 |  #8

Dillan_K wrote in post #16026162 (external link)
Judging by the answers you received, 'best' depends upon what you're looking for. That's my take on it. Are you looking for the best wide open performance? How about stopped down, corner to corner? Does maximum aperture matter to you? Are you okay with manual focus? Are you looking to focus close? Is accurate and quick autofocus important to you? How sensitive are you to price? 'The best 50mm lens' depends upon how you answer all of these questions. Like many things in life, one man's favourite thing is exactly the wrong thing for another man.

+1

If I could only choose 1, I'd choose the 50L, but that said, I've only ever used the 50L and 50 f/1.8II :)

With these type of threads, you're bound to get the "Zeiss" hand grenades thrown in

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 12, 2013 23:48 |  #9

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #16026172 (external link)
I take my post back, the correct answer is Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux.

For a healthy 10 grand.

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

kepa
94 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 13, 2013 02:44 |  #10

I have owned the 50 f/1.8, the 50 L, and the sigma 50 f/1.4.

The best is the 50L hands down. If you own 2-3 lenses, and if you shoot a lot in the 50mm focal length, this should be one of those lenses. However, the sigma 50 is a great bargain, especially second hand, in my opinion. Just make sure to shoot a load of test shots on your own camera with it beforehand to check for back/front focus issues. I chose the sigma over the canon f/1.4 because it is smoother in it's rendering, especially for out of focus areas or bokeh. I don't have any experience with manual only focusing lenses for a Canon dslr.

shinyknights
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 13, 2013 03:21 |  #11

I hope canon will release a 50mm 1.2 with fixes to the focus shifting. The tell tale of it scares me from owning one.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 13, 2013 03:57 |  #12

shinyknights wrote in post #16026525 (external link)
I hope canon will release a 50mm 1.2 with fixes to the focus shifting. The tell tale of it scares me from owning one.

I've never noticed it - probably because I never stop it down :)

And mind you, I'm a pixel peeper who checks every shot at 100%!

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2013 04:56 |  #13

I second the Zeiss Distagon 55mm f/1.4 reccomendation - in case you want highest quality at f/1.4.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,171 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 13, 2013 07:02 |  #14

I have owned all three Canon 50mm primes, and still own the 50L and f/1.4. I started with the f/1.8 II, and did not care for the lens at all. The AF performance was very poor, the bokeh a little wonky, and my copy was soft until stopped down. Since I was not enamored with the focal length on a crop body, I kept the lens but rarely used it.

Once I bought a 5D3, I wanted something better and picked up a used f/1.4 to try (and sold the f/1.8 to a co-worker). The bokeh was better, and the AF performance was better, but still not as good as my ring-USM lenses. I planned on living with the AF performance for awhile, but found a good deal on a new 50L so pulled the trigger.

The 50L solved all my issues with the previous two primes. It's only downside for me was the size and weight, so I hung onto the f/1.4 for those instances when I was traveling and wanted to pack a small, light prime. However, I recently picked up a refurbished 40mm f/2.8 pancake that now meets that need, so I will eventually sell the f/1.4.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Kaigler
500 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 13, 2013 15:00 |  #15

Scott M wrote in post #16026801 (external link)
I have owned all three Canon 50mm primes, and still own the 50L and f/1.4. I started with the f/1.8 II, and did not care for the lens at all. The AF performance was very poor, the bokeh a little wonky, and my copy was soft until stopped down. Since I was not enamored with the focal length on a crop body, I kept the lens but rarely used it.

Once I bought a 5D3, I wanted something better and picked up a used f/1.4 to try (and sold the f/1.8 to a co-worker). The bokeh was better, and the AF performance was better, but still not as good as my ring-USM lenses. I planned on living with the AF performance for awhile, but found a good deal on a new 50L so pulled the trigger.

The 50L solved all my issues with the previous two primes. It's only downside for me was the size and weight, so I hung onto the f/1.4 for those instances when I was traveling and wanted to pack a small, light prime. However, I recently picked up a refurbished 40mm f/2.8 pancake that now meets that need, so I will eventually sell the f/1.4.

Has there ever been an instance where you were like, "yeah, the 50L is just too heavy. I'm putting on the 50 1.4."

I just cannot imagine ever doing that if I owned the 50L.

Canon 5D Mk III - Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC

sponsored links

7,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best 50mm Prime?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.