Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 5 is out.....

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,601 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2013 21:12 |  #106

Arob1000 wrote in post #16025833 (external link)
Exactly my thoughts! Photoshop isn't really necessary much anymore!

Depends on your style. LR is a nice program, catalogs well, and does basic adjustments ok. But it is not a decent photo editor. Try stacking, panos, combine elements, remove elements, layers, hdr, and so much more. Na, LR is not ready to take over PS just yet. Maybe for the pure photographer but not if you want to get creative.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Jun 12, 2013 21:49 |  #107

gjl711 wrote in post #16025853 (external link)
Depends on your style. LR is a nice program, catalogs well, and does basic adjustments ok. But it is not a decent photo editor. Try stacking, panos, combine elements, remove elements, layers, hdr, and so much more. Na, LR is not ready to take over PS just yet. Maybe for the pure photographer but not if you want to get creative.

I still use Photoshop for pano's but that's about it with Lightroom able to clone now. For the rest of it I use NIK software, Color EFEX PRO, Silver EFEX PRO, and HDR EFEX Pro.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,560 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 12, 2013 22:12 |  #108

Mark-B wrote in post #16024393 (external link)
Slow with no precise control, and very resource intensive. If you have a lot to do, you're still better off with Photoshop.

I agree with that. It's much better than the LR 4 spot tool but is not close to being a replacement for the content aware Spot Healing Brush in CS6. For files from my digital cameras it'll probably be all I need 99% of the time, but it's not useful for things like photo restoration (B&W film scans) or if you need to remove significant elements from an image.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

mwsilver
Goldmember
4,095 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 12, 2013 22:31 |  #109

I downloaded the new version yesterday. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet, but so far it seems faster than version 4.4. One thing I did notice immediately was that the auto feature in the Basic panel of develop is significantly more accurate than in the previous version. I know there are many here that think the auto feature is terrible. I and many others use it just as a string point. But on the dozen or so pictures I've tried it on in version 5, the results were much closer to the settings I would have chosen. Time will tell when my initial assessment of that feature holds up.

Mark
Nikon Z fc, Nikkor Z 16-50mm, Nikkor Z 40mm f/2, Nikkor Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE), Nikkor Z DX 18-140mm, Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab 5 Elite, DXO FilmPack 6 Elite, DXO ViewPoint 3

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 13, 2013 01:05 as a reply to  @ post 16020298 |  #110

I'm on the fence on the upgrade since I actually do most of my work in PS using PS plugins.

digital ­ paradise
"It takes a bit of work to get it in."
18,322 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 13, 2013 01:35 |  #111

If you are not doing al lot of mass edits then PS is just fine. That is where LR shines for me. I use both as as required. I Iike my actions in PS.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 13, 2013 08:09 |  #112

Most plugins work in LR.

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #16026373 (external link)
I'm on the fence on the upgrade since I actually do most of my work in PS using PS plugins.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

digital ­ paradise
"It takes a bit of work to get it in."
18,322 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 13, 2013 08:12 |  #113

Yes I was going to say that as well. I have a few older ones that don't so I decided not to.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 14, 2013 05:10 |  #114

Mark-B wrote in post #16024389 (external link)
Do you not use the lens correction tool in LR4? It's the same thing, but LR5 just takes it's best guess at doing an automatic correction. I've found it to be good enough about 20% of the time on non-architecture shots and about 10% of the time on architecture shots. I still end up using the manual corrections anyway.

I don't use the lens correction tool in LR4. I'm not very good at doing those kind of manual corrections. The reason why I ask how much space to give the image before I take it is because I know after correction, parts of the image will need to be cropped.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,601 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 14, 2013 05:16 |  #115

lsquare wrote in post #16029825 (external link)
I don't use the lens correction tool in LR4. I'm not very good at doing those kind of manual corrections. The reason why I ask how much space to give the image before I take it is because I know after correction, parts of the image will need to be cropped.

A response was given earlier "how long is a piece of string". It's a accurate response as that it depends on how far off you are. If your are only 1 degree off then the correction will be minimal with maybe a few pixels shaved off the corners. If your 10 degrees off, then much more will be lost. If your 45 degrees off, most of the picture will be lost.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mak65
331 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2013 14:49 |  #116

I have LR 3.6. I know a lot of those who upgraded to 4 stated it handled noise reduction and other items much better than 3. But, they also said it was slow. I see a few comments here that the speed is faster on 5. Since i never used 4 how slow was it in comparison to the speed of 5? I am thinking of upgrading to 5 before Adobe makes everything Cloud based.

Thanks

Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Jun 14, 2013 21:46 |  #117

mak65 wrote in post #16031306 (external link)
I have LR 3.6. I know a lot of those who upgraded to 4 stated it handled noise reduction and other items much better than 3. But, they also said it was slow. I see a few comments here that the speed is faster on 5. Since i never used 4 how slow was it in comparison to the speed of 5? I am thinking of upgrading to 5 before Adobe makes everything Cloud based.

Thanks

Word on the street is that Lightroom isn't going to be only cloud-based and will be sold as a separate product, who knows how long that will last though.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

Preeb
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 14, 2013 22:16 |  #118

mak65 wrote in post #16031306 (external link)
I have LR 3.6. I know a lot of those who upgraded to 4 stated it handled noise reduction and other items much better than 3. But, they also said it was slow. I see a few comments here that the speed is faster on 5. Since i never used 4 how slow was it in comparison to the speed of 5?

Thanks

This question can be answered as above -"How long is a string?" Comments ranged for those who considered LR4 to be unusable, to those like me for whom response was virtually instantaneous. From Version 4.2 on, I never had any trouble with it, even when making extensive use of the adjustment brushes. There are some for whom LR4 was slow who are saying that LR5 is not, so take that for what it's worth.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

mak65
331 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2013 22:44 |  #119

Thanks Arob and Preeb. Can anyone tell me, since LR 3 was my first version will the LR 5 upgrade work or would I have to buy the full package?

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 14, 2013 23:50 |  #120

When you upgrade online, you will select your current version from a drop down box
I'm not certain, but as far as i could see, the price is the same.
You could go through the process online and check with out confirming the order

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

sponsored links

31,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 5 is out.....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.