Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Images for self-promotion?

McMongo
555 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 11, 2013 10:56 |  #1

I've got a LOA to cover a racing eventand their Media Director e-mailed me this:

You CANNOT use your images for self-promotion in any way. All images you shoot can only be used by the Lions Club, if your images are used in anyway outside of your LOA, your credentials will be revoked and you will lose any and all possibilities of obtaining credentials for any USAC event in the future.

My Question is this, is this normal? and does this keep me from talking to race teams for my pictures or covering the race for them?
thanks
David

Canon-6d, 70-200 f4L, 17-40L, 85-1.8, 50-1.4.

sponsored links
skippix
124 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 11, 2013 11:14 |  #2

typically it means you can't sell the images to the public or put them on your business card or put them on your website or put them in emails that you send out soliciting business.

however, it typically does not preclude you from shooting for teams and/or publications where you have a business relationship with the team or publication.

if you want the best answer, though, call the media director and ask him. most of them would rather know that you are someone they don't have to worry about, as opposed to being someone they have to keep their eye on.

have fun!

Skip
feel free to visit my website (external link) | some resources (external link) | collections (external link) | epic panoramics (external link)
"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably wind up somewhere else" - David Campbell, PhD

McMongo
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 11, 2013 11:19 |  #3

Thanks for reply, Just wanted to make sure that the Media Director, who also just got the contract to cover the events, he does onsite printing at the events, isn't overstepping his position to shut out compition. There's no mention on not being able to use the photos.

Here's the Torc Racing Media rules off their web site:
TORC Media Policies
- USAC issued Media Credentials are required for all Media personnel at all times both
on track and in the Pit Area.
- All media credential requests must be submitted to USAC for approval at least one
week prior to the event.
- All approved credentials will be valid for the specifically requested event.
- All credentialed individuals are required to wear official TORC safety vest at all times
while on the racetrack or in the Hot Pit area. Safety vests must be returned to the TORC
Registration trailer at the end of the event.
- All credentialed individuals are required to wear TORC media credentials at all times
including on track activities and in the pit areas.
- All credentialed media is required to attend a mandatory Safety meeting directly
following the drivers meetings. Individuals that do attend the safety meetings will not be
allowed on the track during race times.
- Approved Credentials must be picked up from the TORC Registration trailer upon
arrival at the event.
- Credential requests the day of the event will not be honored.
- Media credentials will only be given to individuals or entities that represent appropriate
publications, broadcasts, race teams, series sponsors, promoters or race tracks.
Individuals will be required to provide valid proof of representation of any of the above.
Freelance photographers without proper representation of the above will not be
approved for credentials.
- Race Teams will be required to notify TORC of any media personnel representing
them.
- All credentialed media are required to abide by the Official TORC Safety rules at all
times. Failure to follow all safety rules may result in revocation of credentials.

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 11, 2013 11:28 |  #4

It is not unusual. I cover a variety of events and the event credentials often restrict usage of the images to the publication that I represent. Consequently I cannot offer those images to event participants. As far as covering the event for two different parties that is possible as long as the credentials issuer as well the two clients are fully aware and in agreement.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 12, 2013 15:57 |  #5

When he says that your images "can only be used by the Lions Club" that seems to imply that you can't give them to anyone else. If he's in a position to revoke your credentials because you're not playing by the rules he's making up, then you either play by his rules or don't play at all.

Presumably you're getting paid reasonably well for this gig? Or, donating your services to the Lions Club? I would hate to shoot an event and then never be able to show anyone the photos.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

McMongo
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 13, 2013 09:03 |  #6

I'm getting paid, was just hoping to at least use the pics on my web site. Not for sale. Still arm wrestling with him.

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 13, 2013 09:10 |  #7

Dude sounds a bit egotistical. What exactly does the Lion's Club do in the way of community service, anyhow?

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 13, 2013 19:07 as a reply to  @ jt354's post |  #8

Who is the contract with torc or the lions club?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 13, 2013 19:27 |  #9

hes gone wrote in post #16028799 (external link)
=he's gone;16028799]Who is the contract with torc or the lions club?

...the OP has been hired by the Lions Club and they have provided him with a LOA so that he can obtain media credentials. He has been granted media credentials but has been reminded that he has been granted credentials based on the parameters set out by the LOA. The OP is attempting to negotiate outside of the scope of the LOA. I don't like his chances.

To the OP: don't screw things up for you client. Don't forget who you are shooting for. You might be able to negotiate usage from the Lions Club that will remain within the scope of the LOA. But get paid, shoot the job, deliver the images. Not every job is a marketing opportunity. Some of my favorite work no-one knows I took.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 13, 2013 20:04 |  #10

banquetbear wrote in post #16028835 (external link)
...the OP has been hired by the Lions Club and they have provided him with a LOA so that he can obtain media credentials. He has been granted media credentials but has been reminded that he has been granted credentials based on the parameters set out by the LOA.

that's what i thought at first but then with the posting of the "TORC Racing Media rules" was a little confused.

definitely agree on not bending the rules. If you are being paid to be there, you should not be moonlighting on-site. Go there and try to get some contact info for the people who really put on the event, next year skip having the Lion's club as the middle man.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 13, 2013 20:32 |  #11

hes gone wrote in post #16028890 (external link)
=he's gone;16028890]that's what i thought at first but then with the posting of the "TORC Racing Media rules" was a little confused.

...I see what you mean. I read it as the OP is trying to run an "end around" the Creative Director by trying to see if their is a loophole in the rules. To the OP: they are allowed to grant you credentials for any reason and can withdraw them for any reason as well. In my layman's opinion the relevant parts are this:

Individuals will be required to provide valid proof of representation of any of the above.
Freelance photographers without proper representation of the above will not be
approved for credentials.

The LOA is your proof and it spells out the requirements of the organization you are shooting for. You have been reminded that you are only allowed to shoot to those requirements. You can debate the fine print of those requirements: and they can simply withdraw your credentials and tell the Lions Club exactly why they withdrew them.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

McMongo
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 25, 2013 10:10 |  #12

Thank everyone for their information. This is why i love this forum.

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 25, 2013 11:01 |  #13

Use to be pretty rare but I see it happening more often now.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 25, 2013 11:14 |  #14

It is very common for event producers to put restrictions on Media and Sponsors not to use photos for other purposes. If your media credential is granted for one specific purpose, they want to make sure the photos are not used for another without permission. If you cover the event for another client, you should request a separate media credential for each to avoid problems.

When you have a media credential you very should be subtle about soliciting other clients. It certainly happens, but you will cause problems if you are obvious in soliciting other business.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sponsored links

1,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
Images for self-promotion?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.