Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 11, 2013 16:01 |  #541

cbknight wrote in post #16015331 (external link)
There are tons of ways of doing it with some photographers here being way more successful than us. But we are doing well and growing strong. Our in-person sales with the reveal sessions have been amazing and the difference we were looking for. I highly suggest doing reveal sessions. It works wonders.

Makes totally sense to me. Thanks for the input.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 11, 2013 23:21 |  #542

Mike, I could never pull off getting that pose but it SOOoo cool the way you did it. nice job

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

rjharris
947 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 12, 2013 07:41 |  #543

jb_browneyes wrote in post #16022670 (external link)
Mike, I could never pull off getting that pose but it SOOoo cool the way you did it. nice job

I agree, I think my back would break trying to demonstrate it:)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,598 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 12, 2013 07:47 |  #544

rjharris wrote in post #16023361 (external link)
I agree, I think my back would break trying to demonstrate it:)

:lol::lol::lol:,, LMAO......It works for me because I think I embarrass them. I actually demo the pose and say..OK time to watch an old fat guy pose:lol:... they totally crack up and get in there and ALWAYS do it better than I do. Dani just graduated and is doing some light modeling stuff so she got it right away.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,598 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 12, 2013 07:54 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #545

I was actually teaching a class on how to use ND filters and strobes outside so Dani was one of 6 models that came to the our associations training day. TCPPA in Minnnesota. Here is another i took of her. Had about 3 minutes to get some shots after everyone was done. This pose was actually a little hard for me to do:lol:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …53-Edit-1_zps3077f224.jpg (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,598 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 12, 2013 07:57 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #546

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW- we shot these at 3:00PM in the afternoon. Not the best light but we were trying to show that you could make it work in harsh light.

AB1600 with a 22" beauty dish. Ambient was F/13 @ 1/125 and sun was directly overhead. So we stacked some NDs and shot this at F/3.2 @ 1/125.....this is a straight off and I removed a couple of blems in post and sharpened and contrast with NIC software. Thats it. 3 minute edit to present to clients. Im not doing final edits on anything until i go to print.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 12, 2013 21:53 |  #547

cbknight wrote in post #16013880 (external link)
We have a master marketing plan. It has worked wonders the last few years. The shoot and book are included. We do "in-person" Reveal session when we show the images. Since moving from online proofing, our sales have gone thru the roof with our largest senior sales being $3125 (this year), and of course the least being not purchasing anything but the package (shoot and book) and invitations. But without any effort, the senior session turns into glam session with mom, or mom and daughter, etc. All we do is give a voucher to the mother at the reveal session and they usually book right then. We gift the session and our average sale on this session is just under $1,200 the last time we checked. Boudoir sessions bring in less than glamour, for us. So our senior sessions bring in the mothers. Mothers who never even considered a session for them book because it doesn't cost a dime. They love the experience and purchase. Mothers talk. Brides hear. Brides come. We book their weddings. Shoot their bridals (traditional and boudoir), their engagements, then wedding. The circle of life continues. So yes, when your only an average photographer like us, a great marketing campaign works well, but there has to be a money maker in your circle of life. Provide great products and charge for them.

Don't discount your ability. I am impressed.

Sounds like someone has been watching Sue Bryce on CL. :)

Canon investor

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 12, 2013 21:57 |  #548

cbknight wrote in post #16015289 (external link)
In conference room we use a 55" HDTV. When we are away from the office such as at a Starbucks or restaurant, we just use a laptop or iPad. No printed proofs.

What software are you using? :)

Canon investor

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 12, 2013 23:31 |  #549

GerryDavid wrote in post #16025949 (external link)
Sounds like someone has been watching Sue Bryce on CL. :)

I have actually. But you have to use of it what works for you. Most everything she says has already been out there in the AIBP group. Some amazing talent. So hearing what worked and didn't work for them set off bells and whistles in our marketing. But yeah, love SB marketing, not a huge fan of her personally. More than likely, she probably doesn't care. :D

We upload to PASS. Use it to show onscreen and on on laptop or iPad

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 12, 2013 23:33 |  #550

umphotography wrote in post #16023394 (external link)
I was actually teaching a class on how to use ND filters and strobes outside so Dani was one of 6 models that came to the our associations training day. TCPPA in Minnnesota. Here is another i took of her. Had about 3 minutes to get some shots after everyone was done. This pose was actually a little hard for me to do:lol:

Nice work Mike. I need to attend your class on ND's.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 13, 2013 09:33 |  #551

Just in case anyone want to know how I do my viewing sessions....
90% of them are done in our office. We do have clients that have traveled 3+ hours to us, and those we do online using Zenfolio galleries.

For our normal sales session, they come in and have a seat in front of our 48" HDTV I use an apple TV to stream a slideshow ( animoto.com ) wirelessly from my PC in the office area. Even though I have a PC, I can use iTunes to stream the slideshow. As soon as the slideshow is finished, I hand them my iPad which has their images in a nice app called Portfolio for iPad. I have found my customers love being able to hold the iPad in their hand to go back and forth at their own will and look at them on their own pace.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 13, 2013 10:30 |  #552

jmalonear wrote in post #16027171 (external link)
Just in case anyone want to know how I do my viewing sessions....
90% of them are done in our office. We do have clients that have traveled 3+ hours to us, and those we do online using Zenfolio galleries.

For our normal sales session, they come in and have a seat in front of our 48" HDTV I use an apple TV to stream a slideshow ( animoto.com ) wirelessly from my PC in the office area. Even though I have a PC, I can use iTunes to stream the slideshow. As soon as the slideshow is finished, I hand them my iPad which has their images in a nice app called Portfolio for iPad. I have found my customers love being able to hold the iPad in their hand to go back and forth at their own will and look at them on their own pace.

Thank you very much! Do you put music with the slideshow?

Facebook (external link)

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 13, 2013 11:10 |  #553

NewCreation wrote in post #16027307 (external link)

Yes..I use the music provided by Animoto. I have the pro account so it is legal to sell and they have quite a good selection, if you don't have to have the mainstream music you hear on the radio. Mostly with Seniors, I use just music, no singing. But with families and kids, I usually pick something that brings a tear to their eye$$ :)

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 13, 2013 11:12 |  #554

NewCreation wrote in post #16027307 (external link)

If you want to see a little girl's slideshow that I shared the other day, with an actual song provided by Animoto. https://www.facebook.c​om/photo.php?v=4867516​497893 (external link)

Friends call me Jay!
Facebook (external link)

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 13, 2013 11:21 |  #555

jmalonear wrote in post #16027488 (external link)
If you want to see a little girl's slideshow that I shared the other day, with an actual song provided by Animoto. https://www.facebook.c​om/photo.php?v=4867516​497893 (external link)

Very nice!

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

765,822 views & 2,446 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior - Part 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.