Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Changing to FF for dance recitals

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 13, 2013 16:21 |  #1

I shoot a lot of dance recitals and dance comps. I currently use a 7d with a 70-200 I.S. II and get very good results but about one in every 5 comps becomes a challenge due to extremely harsh,changing,low light conditions. I know the ISO performance of the 5d mrk III is said to be outstanding and this would be hugely beneficial to me in the above mentioned conditions. What Im looking for is real world experiences going from a crop sensor to full frame and shooting harsh condition recitals. The 5d mrk III is not a cheap camera and before I pull the trigger I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,235 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2013 16:27 |  #2

Harsh is a non descriptive word for light, but you will get much better low ISO performance. You will give up some reach. You will also get a bit better dynamic range as well.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 13, 2013 16:35 |  #3

I traded in my pair of 7D's for a pair of 5D Mark III's (I work professionally with newspapers and magazines). For my performance photography, I wouldn't say the 5D3 has added much in terms of high ISO performance for the price. Sure the files are cleaner (maybe 1-1.5 stops better), but I don't think they are $2,500 better.

My mindset is that my clients can't tell the difference between photos shot with the 7D and 5D3 at ISO 6400. They also can't tell the difference between a photo shot with the 50 f/1.4 and 50 f/1.2L. Therefore, they are going to buy your prints regardless of your equipment. What's in the frame is what matters, not the high ISO noise.

Your best bet is to buy a faster prime lens rather than spending money on a more expensive body, IF your only hold up is high ISO noise. You can snag a 135 f/2L for $800 used (in like new condition) and take your settings from 1/320 sec, f/2.8, ISO 6400 to 1/320 sec, f/2, ISO 3200. Need something longer, for not much more money than a new 5D3, you can buy a used 200mm f/2L IS.

Here is a youth ballet performance I shot in 2011 with the 7D and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II combo – http://soskiphoto.phot​oshelter.com …4ruXPu9A/C0000c​gq5MZj4G_0 (external link)

And here is another [Similar] performance I shot last month with the 5D3 and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II combo. You be the judge if the noise difference is noticeable. – http://soskiphoto.phot​oshelter.com …EOQZ4yGw/C0000j​Oj4H9Aa0yY (external link)

With that said, I hope it helps steer you in the right direction. I absolutely love my 5D3's, but I also loved my 7D's for their price point. To make it clear, I upgraded to the 5D3's for my general daily news assignments, the full frame look, the autofocus system, and because my employer was paying for it. I did not upgrade for the slightly better high ISO performance.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 13, 2013 16:46 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

FF gives you several key improvements over Crop but some will still miss the lighter APS.
Reach is not a real concern because with FF you have larger hearty pixels and can crop more.
Your lenses tend to cost more w FF.
If your major concern is DR and Low Light you might consider a D800.
If your 2nd concern is price you might consider 6D.
If It was me with your given scenario ... 5D MK III.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

527 views & 0 likes for this thread
Changing to FF for dance recitals
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.