Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best 50mm Prime?

buffumjr
168 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 14, 2013 07:01 |  #31

Scott M wrote in post #16026801 (external link)
Once I bought a 5D3, I wanted something better and picked up a used f/1.4 to try (and sold the f/1.8 to a co-worker). The bokeh was better, and the AF performance was better, but still not as good as my ring-USM lenses. I planned on living with the AF performance for awhile, but found a good deal on a new 50L so pulled the trigger.

The 50L solved all my issues with the previous two primes. It's only downside for me was the size and weight, so I hung onto the f/1.4 for those instances when I was traveling and wanted to pack a small, light prime. However, I recently picked up a refurbished 40mm f/2.8 pancake that now meets that need, so I will eventually sell the f/1.4.

Just curious. Could you more completely identify the "50L" that solved all your issues? Lenses, I have noticed, have such similar names, it's easy to confuse.

Politics is a game of lies. He who tells the best lies the best, wins.

seanlancaster
198 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 14, 2013 08:51 |  #32

smorter wrote in post #16029430 (external link)
Apologies for those who have seen this before as I posted it about a week ago already, but I did a quick and dirty test comparing the 50 f/1.8 @ 1.8 compared to the 50 f/1.2 @ 1.2 for background blur performance

I think to 99% of non photographers, they wouldn't be able to tell a difference:

While I appreciate that you did a test, I am not sure one test proves anything. ThatNikonGuy also did testing and even at f/1.8 for all 3 Canon 50s, the f/1.2L comes out looking much softer (and then it is considerably better when opened up). Here is a comparison video, but I have it linked to start just as he reveals the side-by-side at f/1.8 for all 3 lenses: http://youtu.be/PUmA2g​bUXFo?t=4m16s (external link)

I am Sean Lancaster on Flickr (external link)
Sony A7, Contax G 90/2.8, Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II, & FE Zeiss 55/1.8 (<-most used)
Sony NEX 5N and many lenses including many Canon FD

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 14, 2013 08:56 |  #33

smorter wrote in post #16029430 (external link)
Apologies for those who have seen this before as I posted it about a week ago already, but I did a quick and dirty test comparing the 50 f/1.8 @ 1.8 compared to the 50 f/1.2 @ 1.2 for background blur performance

I think to 99% of non photographers, they wouldn't be able to tell a difference:
QUOTED IMAGE

Very good test for BKG blur performance!
You know why 99% wouldn't tell? Because all three are kind of dull... :rolleyes: Kind of monochromic. Where is no way Nifty-Fifty is the same in terms of colors rendering as 50L is.

hiketheplanet wrote in post #16024492 (external link)
I'm trying to gather a consensus as to what the *absolute best 50mm prime* by any manufacturer that is compatible with Canon in terms of IQ.

At f2.8-5.6 Zeiss ZE glass seems to be noticeably better compare to 50L in terms of IQ.
More 3D effect, much better colors and more micro-contrast.
Zeiss works extremely well under harsh mid-day sun. Colors coming so vivid, it was the only lens I want to desaturate.

But. I traded my Zeiss for 50L, because I still need AF, f1.2, sharp images right at 1.2 and I prefer weather sealing.
With 50L it is easy to get sharp images at 1.2-1.8, compare to Zeiss 50 1.4 ZE and 50L bokeh at these apertures is just "no name". Compare to crazy bokeh from Zeiss at 1.4-1.8. It is getting too crazy sometimes on Zeiss.
The rest of modern Canon and Sigma lens, IMO, isn't in the same league with L and Zeiss in terms of colors rendering.
On extreme cheap side, OM Zuiko 50 1.4 has very good IQ. 50 1.8 II is just as dull as old coat button compare to it.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 14, 2013 12:36 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #34

I've owned the 50 1.8 II, Zeiss 50 MP, and 50L.

The zeiss is great and sharp, but just didn't give me the bokeh I wanted. With the 50L I sacrificed a little sharpness, but the razor thin DOF and great subject isolation more than made up for it.

The 50 1.8 II is a fantastic starter portrait lens and probably the first lens photographers start to really understand how to use depth of field.

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 14, 2013 13:12 |  #35

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #16026172 (external link)
I take my post back, the correct answer is Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

My Leica Summicron beats my Canon 50 1.2 but for a Canon camera the 50 1.2 is hard to beat.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best 50mm Prime?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.