Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 20:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"All around lens" vs Fuji X100

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 14, 2013 09:54 |  #16

JP-Eugene wrote in post #16030402 (external link)
If you were mainly using your 15-85 for street, yes, the X100 could be a worthy replacement. I added a X100S to my kit, and absolutely love it (and no I don't planning on getting rid of my SLR). But, the X100 doesn't do landscape as well as an SLR, and of course, you'll lose the versatility of the 15-85 range. But, I'm finding I'm loving the 35mm FL... just learning I need to get a little closer than I used to. ;)

I agree, IMO keep the 15-85 and your 60D for times when you need the reach and wideness that it can provide.
but also buy a smaller portable camera that you can bring with you all the time.
main reason why I invested on a X100 and now the X100s.
for people telling you to skip the X100, don't listen to them as IMO it's still a perfect usable camera with a decent AF allowing me to capture some people walking or running, and the X100 goes for half the X100s.
I used mine 95% on my trip in Orlando/Miami and it was such a pleasure to carry around compared to DSLR.

funny enough, I never liked 35mm on FF DSLR, however I love the X100/s and before I used to shoot Rebel + 24 2.8

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

Tiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
523 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 14, 2013 10:42 |  #17

Ok thanks everyone! Unfortunately I can't keep the 15-85 and buy the x100/s. I'll be looking for a good deal on the x100s I think.

Canon 60D|Tamron 90mm 52B|Canon 50 1.8|Canon 85 1.8|Yongnuo YN-568ex|Manfrotto 055XProb with 498RC2|Fuji AX Multi Program with 50 1.9 and 135 2.8|Mamiya 645 Pro with 85 2.5|

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ Tiller's post |  #18

What about a small lens like the 40mm on your 60D, or is that combination still too big?

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2013 11:25 |  #19

Tiller wrote in post #16029400 (external link)
Not too large for me at all. This is just for everyday shots. Street photography you could say. I love my 60d and use it for macro/portraits/whatev​er. But for walking around downtown, I hate being "that guy" with the massive dslr+grip+big lens. I find myself wanting to be more inconspicuous.

I would like to address the other point that you are making - "being that guy".

A year ago both my wife and I took a photography class at a local high school. One of the homework task was to take candid photos of people on the streets. We both got our dslr's, went downtown Boston, and started shooting. I was using the 15-85, wife - 18-200. And you know what? Nobody gave a damn. Nobody even gave us a second look. Nobody cared.

I have always been of the opinion that nobody cares about me on the streets, as long as I do not do anything challenging wrong that would affect others. I am not important to anybody. People have other things and people to think about, and I am not "that guy" to them. If this is what pushes you to buy a smaller camera, and you will have to sell your 15-85 for that, I will say: Please don't. Not worth it.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
"All around lens" vs Fuji X100
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.