Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 13 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 09:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paypal Invoicing is kiling me....

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 13, 2013 09:23 |  #1

Can any one suggest a way to accept credit cards without paying the 2.9% transaction fee from Paypal Invoicing? There has to be something with a lower rate out there....

The 2% per swipe from "paypal here" is also kinda steep IMO.

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 13, 2013 09:34 |  #2

If you took credit cards directly with a merchant account with Visa etc, they would also hit you for a similar fee, plus charge you for the terminal etc.

There are, I believe, apps for the iPad (etc) that can take credit cards and I also believe it is possible to do so without fees, but it would depend on how much you needed to use it I suspect. Any heavy regular use would probably have them insisting you get a merchant account.

But fees with credit cards have always been the case, even without paypal, that's why stores have minimum amounts to put on credit cards (small sales aren't worth it after the fees) and also sellers either take a bit less for cash or charge a premium for credit cards, on big ticket items.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 13, 2013 09:36 |  #3

2.9% is about average for small volume sellers. You could look into Square and/or Intuit but you'll pay more if you can't swipe the card, and there's no invoicing/checkout option (that I know of). Intuit does have a $12.95 a month option to get a 1.7% rate though. You have to see if your volume of credit cards is high enough that the 1% you save adds up to more than $12.95 though or it's a wash/potentially higher fee.

As sandpiper said though, you're simply not going to be able to accept credit cards without some fee.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 13, 2013 10:05 |  #4

I use square and I think they take 3% per keyed card and 2.5 per swipe? I dont ever swipe cards its always manually keyed. 2.5-3.5 % is normal fees for cards, even high volume merchants still pay that rate depending on the card. Your paying for the convenience....Just like a store does.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 13, 2013 12:15 |  #5

Kronie wrote in post #16027242 (external link)
I use square and I think they take 3% per keyed card and 2.5 per swipe? I dont ever swipe cards its always manually keyed. 2.5-3.5 % is normal fees for cards, even high volume merchants still pay that rate depending on the card. Your paying for the convenience....Just like a store does.

It's 2.75% for swipes and 3.5% + 15¢ for keyed entries. That's why I generally use Square or Intuit GoPayment for swipes and bill people via PayPal or use the Intuit Merchant Portal for phone orders. The portal has a 2.75% rate.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 13, 2013 12:42 |  #6

cdifoto wrote in post #16027681 (external link)
It's 2.75% for swipes and 3.5% + 15¢ for keyed entries. That's why I generally use Square or Intuit GoPayment for swipes and bill people via PayPal or use the Intuit Merchant Portal for phone orders. The portal has a 2.75% rate.

Yea, I meant 3.5. Am I missing something? The Intuit portal looks like 2.98% and .30 per transaction, plus 12.95 a month?

http://payments.intuit​.com/price_online_paym​ents (external link)

If I can pay less for CC transactions I am all over it. I dont do a ton of them but every little bit helps...

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 13, 2013 12:48 |  #7

Kronie wrote in post #16027765 (external link)
Yea, I meant 3.5. Am I missing something? The Intuit portal looks like 2.98% and .30 per transaction, plus 12.95 a month?

http://payments.intuit​.com/price_online_paym​ents (external link)

If I can pay less for CC transactions I am all over it. I dont do a ton of them but every little bit helps...

I'm not sure. I rarely do phone orders but I just checked one and it worked out to about 2.75%. I don't pay monthly. I do have the GoPayment app though, and its rate is 2.75% if you don't pay monthly for swipes, 1.75% if you do pay the $12.95 monthly for swipes, but the monthly also gets you non-swipe fee of 2.75% instead of the 3.75% for non-monthly.

So maybe if you come into it from the GoPayment side and use both, you get a little better deal? Here's the GoPayment page: http://payments.intuit​.com …e-credit-card-processing/ (external link)

Zebedee123
240 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 14, 2013 08:07 |  #8

Can you not add it onto the clients bill? I give them a choice of a bank transfer, cheque or paypal but I tell them upfront that there is a 3.4% charge to use paypal as thats what they charge me - no one has ever questioned it.

http://www.paulabeaumo​ntphotography.co.uk/ (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/paulabeaumontphotogr​aphy (external link)
Canon 5D Mk III II Canon 5D II II Sigma macro 105mm II Tamron 24-70mm 2.8f VC II Canon 70x200mm L F2.8 Mk II II Canon 50mm F1.8 II tripods, lots of bags, flashes strobes, pocket wizards and lots of other "stuff" II

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 14, 2013 08:19 |  #9

Zebedee123 wrote in post #16030133 (external link)
Can you not add it onto the clients bill? I give them a choice of a bank transfer, cheque or paypal but I tell them upfront that there is a 3.4% charge to use paypal as thats what they charge me - no one has ever questioned it.

Best check your terms of service. All the ones I'm familiar with very strictly state that you are not allowed to do that (So as to not discourage people from using the service)

If the costs are an issue, up your fees across the board by 3.4%. If your margins are so tight that at a 3.4% fee is 'killing' your business, then I would strongly suggest re-evaluating your business and whether or not you remain in operation.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 14, 2013 08:25 |  #10

Luckless wrote in post #16030161 (external link)
Best check your terms of service. All the ones I'm familiar with very strictly state that you are not allowed to do that (So as to not discourage people from using the service).

I agree, in the way it is stated, it is a violation of the TOS. However, the way around this is to offer a discount for cash of check and none if using PP or CC. For example, $100 for CC/PP, $95 for cash or check.

There are a lot of retailers out there that do this - first one coming to mind is furniture stores.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 14, 2013 12:32 |  #11

huntersdad wrote in post #16030188 (external link)
I agree, in the way it is stated, it is a violation of the TOS. However, the way around this is to offer a discount for cash of check and none if using PP or CC. For example, $100 for CC/PP, $95 for cash or check.

There are a lot of retailers out there that do this - first one coming to mind is furniture stores.

Gas stations do that as well. Usually the independent ones.

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 14, 2013 19:35 |  #12

Toneaero wrote in post #16027139 (external link)
Can any one suggest a way to accept credit cards without paying the 2.9% transaction fee from Paypal Invoicing? There has to be something with a lower rate out there....

The 2% per swipe from "paypal here" is also kinda steep IMO.

Charge them a 4% fee to cover the additional costs if they use paypal or square. This greatly increases their interest in paying with a check or cash.

Or raise your prices 4% and offer a 4% discount for those paying with cash or check.

Canon investor

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 14, 2013 19:47 as a reply to  @ GerryDavid's post |  #13

I use Groupon Payments (now known as Breadcrumb). It has the lowest fees out of the bunch. https://breadcrumb.gro​upon.com/pricing (external link) (scroll to the bottom)

And you dont need to sign up for any of that Breadcrumb plan stuff, you can just get the card reader and pay the fees per swipe/entry.

And recently credit card companies were legally forced to allow us to charge the customer your credit card transaction fees (however 10 states have it made it illegal anyway):

http://www.forbes.com …e-good-news-for-shoppers/ (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 14, 2013 20:11 |  #14

mirrorrim wrote in post #16032089 (external link)
I use Groupon Payments (now known as Breadcrumb). It has the lowest fees out of the bunch. https://breadcrumb.gro​upon.com/pricing (external link) (scroll to the bottom)

And you dont need to sign up for any of that Breadcrumb plan stuff, you can just get the card reader and pay the fees per swipe/entry.

And recently credit card companies were legally forced to allow us to charge the customer your credit card transaction fees (however 10 states have it made it illegal anyway):

http://www.forbes.com …e-good-news-for-shoppers/ (external link)

Interesting. All the PRO and POS stuff seems to be iOS only. Do they support Android? You do have to watch though as AmEx rates are higher.

sponsored links

1,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paypal Invoicing is kiling me....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.