Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This Photo ... is there a market as fine art?

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 13, 2013 19:59 |  #1

Need some feedback.

I'm getting ready to become more aggressive selling forest and outdoors prints. Probably going to get another website just for this.

I've got huge redwood photos, a couple of flower photos, a few forest photos. Then two days ago, as I was browsing some portraiture photos, the photo below got me to pause, wondering if there's a market for this kind of look.

I'm planning to sell only 16" x 20" and larger at this time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 14, 2013 10:10 |  #2

Are you talking about that specific image or are you talking about it as a style to sell as a part of a portrait session? If you mean the former, who do you envision would buy the image and hang it on their wall other than the models family?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 14, 2013 10:15 |  #3

If you had an existing following you might be able to. I rather doubt this image is going to create a market.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 14, 2013 10:20 |  #4

I'm certainly not a marketing expert by any means. Frankly, I got out of the wedding photography business because I hated the amount of marketing required to make a go of it. However, your image may have a market in the tattoo business. "Ink" is a big seller these days. I could see a quality tattoo shop hanging your work for marketing purposes. It's certainly very well done and would be very attractive on the walls of a shop. You might want to do some door to door work to try to line up some potential clients. It's a thought.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

girvan
314 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 14, 2013 17:24 |  #5

georgebowman wrote in post #16030510 (external link)
I'm certainly not a marketing expert by any means. Frankly, I got out of the wedding photography business because I hated the amount of marketing required to make a go of it. However, your image may have a market in the tattoo business. "Ink" is a big seller these days. I could see a quality tattoo shop hanging your work for marketing purposes. It's certainly very well done and would be very attractive on the walls of a shop. You might want to do some door to door work to try to line up some potential clients. It's a thought.

I don't think there is enough ink highlighted in the image for a tattoo shop. also the setting is not what most shops, and I've spend my share of time if several, are looking for. the forest is not what is usually seen in tattoo photos.

I'm not sure that it could be marketed as an art piece as well. I think you may have just missed the mark on this one.

shoot with canon gear and some lights. my blog is at www.lightgangsta.com (external link)

5D2 | 7D | 17-40 f4L | 70-200 f2.8IS | Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro | Sigma 50 f1.4

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 14, 2013 18:28 |  #6

Even shots of old tricycles have been sold as art. You just gotta find the right buyer. :D

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 14, 2013 18:47 as a reply to  @ Biffbradford's post |  #7

Appreciate the feedback.

I've seen shots of people outdoors, say like nudes among rocks or driftwood, and that seems to almost go without asking that it can be sold as art if done well. I was just unsure about more clothed in natural woodland or forest. Guess it just depends.

Suppose I've seen a few with themes before, like werewolf, or fairy, etc..

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 14, 2013 19:00 |  #8

You can sell anything to the right buyer.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

domrafiti1
67 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 14, 2013 19:06 |  #9

i think i really depends on how you plan on selling it. if its the style i bet you'll be solid, although i think if your trying to sell a portrait of another person, you prolly wont have much success.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 14, 2013 23:29 |  #10

Yeah, maybe I did miss the mark here. My son has frequented tattoo shops but I'm a novice when it comes to this industry. It would appeal to me but then again, I wouldn't get a tattoo either.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 15, 2013 16:31 |  #11

mdvaden wrote in post #16031931 (external link)
Appreciate the feedback.

I've seen shots of people outdoors, say like nudes among rocks or driftwood, and that seems to almost go without asking that it can be sold as art if done well. I was just unsure about more clothed in natural woodland or forest. Guess it just depends.

Suppose I've seen a few with themes before, like werewolf, or fairy, etc..

Remember, seeing images for sale is very different than seeing images that people are actually selling.

Just because someone is selling something doesn't mean that they have had any success at it. I'm not trying to be discouraging or negative, just realistic. I go to (photographic) art shows and galleries and the artists and gallery owners tell me how very little ever actually sells. The market for prints of any kind is nowhere near what it was 10 years ago.

By the way, there is a small tree trunk growing out of the top of your model's head. If you "fix" that, you may have more success selling the image. Otherwise, the composition of the vegetation is absolutely outstanding!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

2,224 views & 0 likes for this thread
This Photo ... is there a market as fine art?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.