Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 15:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do You Save Photoshop Layers?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2013 13:57 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #16030757 (external link)
Oh yes, save anything with text in a form with layers preserved. That font thats so cool now my end up being the the typographic equivalent of the harlem shake, cool today, tacky tomorrow.

...and it's not just the font selection. It's pretty common that I'll have to revisit a project to change a date, name, price, specific wording, etc.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 14, 2013 17:46 as a reply to  @ post 16030831 |  #17

As "cheap" as storage space is, my Tiff files are averaging about 1gb per Tiff file. I think that's quite a bit of space for a single photo.

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 14, 2013 23:24 as a reply to  @ post 16030831 |  #18

If I've gone to the trouble to bring it into Photoshop to edit, rather than just Lightroom, I save the PSD with layers intact.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

NG8JGFX
742 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 14, 2013 23:38 |  #19

If you have layers while working in a file that you may want to re-adjust in the future or come back to then yes. Save it as a .PSD file. I always work in 16 bit then save the completed file to a 16 bit tiff (no layers) for further adjusting in raw if necessary then save to 8 bit jpg once complete... Thats how I roll

MyCanonPhotos (external link) facebook (external link)
Tenba 32L, 5D IV, 5D III, 7D II, 8 Lenses, Three 600 EX-RT's, ST-E3-RT +

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 15, 2013 00:03 |  #20

kjonnnn wrote in post #16032520 (external link)
May I ask ... what are doing that that makes a file 1gb? I do photography and graphic design, and I do posters and banners that dont come to that size. Just curious.

Well, a 16-bit 21Mp tiff is 120Mb or so. But we are saving all copies and all adjustment layers without flattening or combining them. That can add up.

For example: The original + a duplicate layer or two (maybe with some Nik adjustments), a couple of selective curve adjustment layers, saturation, dodge/burn and color adjustment layers and it can easily get into the several 100s Mb. And that's with doing as much as possible in the raw converter.

If I am blending in a sky from another image (say different exposure typically) and tweaking that separately I can end up with 3-4 full tiffs and a dozen adjustment layers quite easily. Blending more layers and it can get out of hand very quickly.

And then there's sharpening which many people do in PS, particularly if using Nik software. You might have two adjustment layers just for that at 160Mb each.

Now for portraiture or street photography and the like, I can't imagine using quite as many adjustments, but for some images they may get into the dozen or so. Start adding some Nik effects layers and I can see how you could still get well over 500Mb with all layers.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 15, 2013 08:14 |  #21

kjonnnn wrote in post #16032520 (external link)
May I ask ... what are doing that that makes a file 1gb? I do photography and graphic design, and I do posters and banners that dont come to that size. Just curious.

ejenner wrote in post #16032604 (external link)
Start adding some Nik effects layers and I can see how you could still get well over 500Mb with all layers.

What ejenner said. I have a 60D which is 18MP. So files average to be 105mb per tiff with layers flattened. I use Nik filters, usually end up with 3-6 layers.

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Jun 15, 2013 12:47 as a reply to  @ BigBadWolfie's post |  #22

Everything I have to turn in for school I'm saving a psd file with layers, a print file and a jpeg from that. Needs tons of space but we often come back to images and tweak something here or there. For personal work it really depends also, family images usually not, but other work I think might have potential to be used for a school project I might if it's a complex edit.

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 15, 2013 17:39 |  #23

Like with so many other questions, to me the answer is "it depends"!

Back when I was getting started with Photoshop, the "accepted wisdom" was: save you files as 16-bit tiffs/psds with all your layers intact. I accepted that advice without much question. Of course, at the time we were in the early days of digital imaging, so our photos were either scanned photos or early digicams that produced low-MP images and so a tiff/psd wouldn't be as overwhelmingly large as they have become.

But, I also have seen things come up over the years that have challenged that conventional wisdom. Especially with the advances in Raw processing, the "16 bit rule" has been getting a new look, and in fact a lot of us have "adjusted" our thinking there. Also, a lot of us have adopted Raw processing as our "main" editing process, so we don't often resort to Photoshop, layers and such.

But, as has been mentioned, there are times when you want/need the PS tools, there are times when 16 bit files in PS can be good, and certainly there are jobs done with layers that you invest a lot of work in and that you don't want to discard.

I did watch an interesting little video by a co-worker of Scott Kelby once. He was buzzing through processing shots in Lightroom, then opened them in PS, tossed up some layers, and quickly finished the job! Funny, at one point he flattened most of his layers, and I was like "what the heck?"...but as I thought about it I realized that the work he had done with those layers was stuff that was very familiar to him, no-brainer type of quick stuff, and so to him there was just no interest or need to revisit them.

Now of course he was an experienced "expert" and could get away with that. Perhaps in the learning/beginning stages I would, well, give some thought to my actions!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

3,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do You Save Photoshop Layers?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.