Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Jun 2013 (Friday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ALERT: YOU WILL GET SCAMMED IF...

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 14, 2013 15:56 |  #31

MT Stringer wrote in post #16031489 (external link)
I advertised a 300 f/2.8 for sale and had a couple of inquiries. One potential buyer asked that I send him a close up photo of the lens front with his email address in plain view. I did just that and the sale was consummated. I like that idea...especially when you are talking about a lot of money changing hands.

That's a good idea.

When I received the fraudulent offer to sell me a 70-200, I did a google image search on the ones sent in the PM. That's when I found that they were lifted from a 2010 WTT thread.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 14, 2013 16:17 |  #32

kozal01 wrote in post #16031492 (external link)
Pekka I dont know how big of an issue scamming is on this site since Im fairly new here also but I can tell you what we did on another site that I moderate that was having issues with scammers. We started a 25 post minimum or a 60 day tenure to even be allowed to post in the classified section. Once allowed to post in the classifieds pictures are required and in the pictures of the items you are selling your member name and date need to be hand written on a piece of paper in the photo. We dont allow google or stock images of items for sale. It obviously isnt a fix all but in the last year or so weve had no reports of members being scammed.

We already have a 30 Day, 30 Post requirement. There will be no tweaking the software at this time because we have all new software arriving later this year.

Each and every member is required to vet their own buyer/sellers. There are a few guidelines that all should follow, the primary being: "PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

After that, be sure to know your trading partner and establish lines of communications outside of this forum.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 14, 2013 16:49 |  #33

Sorry to hear that some folks were scammed. Sad reminder to NOT BUY/SELL/TRADE WITH BRAND NEW MEMBERS. I have not yelled like that in a while.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 14, 2013 17:10 as a reply to  @ Ron Bailey's post |  #34

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCUM SCUM SCUM SCUM......

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

Gutterscum
Goldmember
1,030 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 16, 2013 04:24 |  #35

They are everywhere unfortunately, but keeps the mods employed lol.

Canon 60D gripped,70-200 2.8 IS, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tamron 15-55 2.8 non VG

AmberValetta
65 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 16, 2013 05:14 |  #36

Would you consider me a scammer?

Better not try sell my gear then D: Idk about in US, but in AU there is a thing called Cash on Delivery, works pretty well against these kind of things.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 16, 2013 06:51 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

AmberValetta wrote in post #16035388 (external link)

Better not try sell my gear then D: Idk about in US, but in AU there is a thing called Cash on Delivery, works pretty well against these kind of things.

Not without some suspicions. If someone looked up all your posts and all 30 were simple ones such as "nice shot", "^this", etc. and all done within a very short timeframe, then someone would be right to have suspicions you were a scammer.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 16, 2013 06:53 |  #38

AmberValetta wrote in post #16035388 (external link)

COD in the us allows cashier check. Unfortunately that cashier check or money order can be easily fake these days w ink jet printer. The delivery person simply is not that good at spotting fake checks.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

AmberValetta
65 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 16, 2013 07:13 |  #39

goldboughtrue wrote in post #16035486 (external link)
Not without some suspicions. If someone looked up all your posts and all 30 were simple ones such as "nice shot", "^this", etc. and all done within a very short timeframe, then someone would be right to have suspicions you were a scammer.

Sure, and If ones intentions was exactly that? Except they are legitimate?
Basically what I'm saying is I wish to trade some gear, but should I wait and become somewhat more reputable on forums to avoid a potential ban? ( is it permanent?)

liupublic wrote in post #16035490 (external link)
COD in the us allows cashier check. Unfortunately that cashier check or money order can be easily fake these days w ink jet printer. The delivery person simply is not that good at spotting fake checks.

I'm not sure what your saying. The receiver writes a fake cheque, thus the seller receives nothing? Well that's pretty detrimental to the point of COD, in Au its only cash or EFTPOS.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 16, 2013 08:00 |  #40

AmberValetta wrote in post #16035529 (external link)
Basically what I'm saying is I wish to trade some gear, but should I wait and become somewhat more reputable on forums to avoid a potential ban? ( is it permanent?)

I'm not sure what your saying. The receiver writes a fake cheque, thus the seller receives nothing? Well that's pretty detrimental to the point of COD, in Au its only cash or EFTPOS.

For me to send anyone anonymous my money, they have to prove themselves to me beyond a handful of "nice pic" or other random musings in some threads. External contacts, references, and yes something more substantial on the boards.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2013 08:45 |  #41

Peter2516 wrote in post #16030956 (external link)
Cheers!!!!! And welcome. You will love this forum if you are in to photography. Hobbyist or Professional there is always something new to learn in this forum.

Like how to get banned quickly? :p

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

AmberValetta
65 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 16, 2013 08:51 |  #42

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16035634 (external link)
For me to send anyone anonymous my money, they have to prove themselves to me beyond a handful of "nice pic" or other random musings in some threads. External contacts, references, and yes something more substantial on the boards.

Ahh. This is too much to expect from a student like myself. :p

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2013 08:56 |  #43

AmberValetta wrote in post #16035529 (external link)

No, you don't get banned for trying to sell gear directly you have reached the stipulated days + posts.

Your low post counter will just make it harder for you to sell, so you might not make as good a deal because you have few people interested in buying your gear.

This thread was about a person trying to circumvent the forum rules. And all these PM most probably also contained information that was easy to prove incorrect.

Lots of scams can be proven as scams - just that the potential buyer gets too interested in the interesting price that they don't stop and think about it before deciding to buy. It is the greed in us that makes us miss all the evidence of foul play.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 16, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #44

Actually, I don't care if the member has been here for 3 years and has several posts. I also got scammed by someone here with a join date of 2010, 100+ posts. I believe at that time I was looking for a 5D2. The guy PM'd me, sent me pictures on my email and was very prompt with his response.

I almost hit the payment button but something about him was just off. My instinct probably, at that time the body was being sold for about $200.00 less than the market price. Now I know there are AMAZING DEALS that are valid in this site but still, I just used common sense and avoided the deal. Guess what? An hour later I think it was Pekka who sent me a PM advising not to deal with that member since he's a scammer, turns out he was also selling to a few members on this site at the same time.

Whew, that was close. You know the saying? If its too good to be true, then it probably is.

Only way I buy really is from people who are active here if not at least someone who has a established website and perhaps willing to communicate by cell.

smacatl
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 16, 2013 12:03 |  #45

Rittrato wrote in post #16036013 (external link)
Only way I buy really is from people who are active here if not at least someone who has a established website and perhaps willing to communicate by cell.

Cell phones are fine, but home phones are better, since they will have a physical address.

I've made several sales and purchases on here where I have either asked for, or given my home address and number. If you type your name and address into The Google - you can pretty much get a good feel for who your dealing with.

This won't prevent someone from scamming you using their real name, but at least I'll know who I'm after when I come looking for them!

A big thanks to all the Moderators for all they do in keeping this place free from undesirables.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

sponsored links

7,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
ALERT: YOU WILL GET SCAMMED IF...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.