Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 01:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Confused about lens choices...

KristyT2i
57 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 18, 2013 01:49 |  #1

I shadowed a photographer today who had a 35L, 135L. and 24-70. We did an outdoor portrait shoot with a model and a few of his son who was helping with lighting. It seemed like he was choosing lenses at random...grabbed the 135L, took a few steps back and shot a full body portrait. Then threw on the 35L, took a few steps forward and again, shot a full body portrait.

I can understand that maybe indoors or in tight spaces it might make sense to use a 35L over a 135L, but outdoors, whats the point? When I asked him he said all three lenses produce different "looks", but I dont really see it. It seemed more like he was grabbing lenses at random and shooting.

In a situation like this, outdoors with a human subject...in what situation would you grab for the 135L vs the 24-70 vs the 35L, and why?

sponsored links
kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 18, 2013 02:02 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

KristyT2i wrote in post #16041193 (external link)
I can understand that maybe indoors or in tight spaces it might make sense to use a 35L over a 135L, but outdoors, whats the point? When I asked him he said all three lenses produce different "looks", but I dont really see it. It seemed more like he was grabbing lenses at random and shooting.

In a situation like this, outdoors with a human subject...in what situation would you grab for the 135L vs the 24-70 vs the 35L, and why?

The photographer is right. They all give different looks and more precisely, perspective.

35mm is a semi wide lens on ff, and it's best suited for environmental portrait.

135L when used to take a full body shot means he will have to stand a lot further, therefore the oof area will be more blurred (of course aperture used also comes into play) and the subject will appeared to be more 'compressed' compared to a 35mm.

Personally I would grab the 135L for half body, tight head portrait for better compression. Full body @ large aperture to separate the subject to the background which gives a unique 3D look.

I would grab the 35L for full body environmental portrait which aims to add a bit more context to the shot.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

huangyu84
88 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2013 02:02 |  #3

IMHO, perspective is different which makes difference.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 18, 2013 05:35 |  #4

KristyT2i wrote in post #16041193 (external link)

The relationship between the subject and the background is controlled by how close the photographer is standing to the subject, and the focal length selected.

So if you shoot a subject from fairly close with a wide angle lens, you will see more of the background and the subject will appear in context of where they are standing. Step back a ways and shoot the same subject with a longer focal length and the view of the background will be much more narrow.

Here are two shots of the same subject in the same place (pretty much). The first is at 24mm and very close, the second is at 300mm and far back. Note the difference in the relationship of the subject to the background.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 18, 2013 13:42 |  #5

Yes, distance = perpsective. Lenses do not alter this.

GEAR LIST

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,315 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 18, 2013 13:54 |  #6

http://stepheneastwood​.com …/lensdistortion​/index.htm (external link) Maybe this will help.

daystar
589 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 20, 2013 09:41 |  #7

kin2son wrote in post #16041208 (external link)
The photographer is right. They all give different looks and more precisely, perspective.

35mm is a semi wide lens on ff, and it's best suited for environmental portrait.

135L when used to take a full body shot means he will have to stand a lot further, therefore the oof area will be more blurred (of course aperture used also comes into play) and the subject will appeared to be more 'compressed' compared to a 35mm.

Personally I would grab the 135L for half body, tight head portrait for better compression. Full body @ large aperture to separate the subject to the background which gives a unique 3D look.

I would grab the 35L for full body environmental portrait which aims to add a bit more context to the shot.

Thank you for this explanation. It helped me a lot.

Nikon D750 | Nikon D7100 | 85mm 1.8G | 50mm 1.8G | 35mm 1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2013 12:17 |  #8

Different lenses offer different look based on distance, aperture and background/foreground separation. Larger aperture telephotos compresses the background nicely.
OP, you may not know what's in the creative mind of the photographer. There is no such thing as "if this is the scenario, I should use this lens." That's the beauty of interchangeable lens systems.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 20, 2013 19:39 |  #9

Before yoou start making notes on how a certain photographer shoots and what they use, I hope you have seen their results and like them.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
Confused about lens choices...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.