Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Jun 2013 (Tuesday) 02:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bag for 5D Mark III + Canon 24-70mm II?

cleonoff
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 18, 2013 02:12 |  #1

I'm looking for a bag to fit my newly purchased 5D Mark III and 24-70mm II (of which I excitedly await the arrival).

Throughout the years, I've had a lot of different bags that I've used sporadically, and never been as happy with as I'd have hoped. I've had a Think Tank sling, a 5 (or was it 6? my memory... *sighI*) Million Dollar Home, a Lowepro shoulder bag, a Think Tank holster, and nothing's ever been quite right (as I understand, this is a common enough feeling among shooters). I think a big part of what I disliked was simply the bulkiness of it all -- and this is part of why I'm happy to have consolidated a lot of my gear into a (relatively) simple kit.

With the above in mind, I'm looking for something that's a snug fit and really isn't meant to fit a whole ton more than my basic set-up (a cleaning cloth and extra battery would be great). So I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions as to what might be an appropriate fit (perhaps based on their own experiences)?

I really wish one of the Think Tank Retrospective bags provided a better match, but as I understand the 5 is to small for this purpose and the 7 and 10 would be a fair bit bigger. (Not too much of a fan of holster-type bags -- I find them awkward to carry on my side.)

I really appreciate any responses. :D

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II

sponsored links
dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,300 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 18, 2013 07:52 |  #2

Ive got the same combo so here are my recommendations. Ive not used many bags aparet from these so im sure you will get lots of other recommendations.

My main, and most used bag is a Lowepro Classified AW160. This will hold the camera and lens, with hood attached in the shooting position. Its a top loader and very easy to get in and out, and it means there is no need for a lens cap for day to day shooting so its my all tiem fav bag.
With the camera and lens in the middle positing, facing down, I can also fit my 70-200 f/4 IS as well, and a small prime or two or my flash, my iPad and it has a generous pocket on the front for small bits.
Its a very compact bag and ive been using it for the past two years, almost daily.

If that sounds too bulky then i also have a Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55AW
http://www.amazon.co.u​k …o09_s00_i00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

This holds the camera and lens in the same way. The downside to this is the outside pocket wont hold much. certainly a battery and cloth, but not much more as it becomes a bit bulging.
There is a bit of room above the camera when the lens is attached with the hood on, maybe about 1-2" so its a pretty good fit for this combo. I can also get the camera in with the 70-200 attached, but hood reversed.
It is a holster type, in that it has a belt loop, but to be honest i would never use it like that, not unless i want my trousers to fall down while im out ;-)a
With the shoulder strap, with the camera out, its very light and you really wouldn't notice it. I use this bag if im just going local for a walk, or i dont need to take anything else out other than camera and one lens.

My latest bag is a Vanguard Up-Rise 33. This is just a bit bigger than the Classified. I got this as i wanted a little bit more room to get things in and out using the top slot (i like my bags to allow me very quick and easy access).
http://www.amazon.co.u​k …o01_s00_i00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Its not a bulky bag, and the insides can come out so you can use it as a normal bag, but its probably not ideal for just one camera and lens if you are looking for as small as possible.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

sawsedge
773 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 18, 2013 11:08 |  #3

I have a belt bag that might be something to look at, although it might be a bit big for your taste. The LowePro Sideline Shooter. It's a snug fit for my 5D3 and 24-70 in 2 dimensions, but it would fit a longer lens too. It has room for cleaning stuff, memory cards, and a couple of batteries and even a couple of filters.

When I used compact 24mm, 50mm, and 100mm primes, all three would fit, one mounted, in the bag. The 24-70 is almost too big to allow another lens, though a compact lens would fit as well.

- John

Mr.Noisy
286 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 18, 2013 11:20 |  #4

Lowepro Toploader 70 AW

I have one, it fits a 5D mkII/III with the 24-105 or 16-35 II on the body, and according to figures the 24-70 II (I presume its the f2.8) is about 2mm longer than my 16-35 II,plus it has room for batteries, memory cards and cleaning cloths, and it is snug, only mod I made was fitting the Op/Tech curve S.O.S strap for comfort on long days.

Gear List

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 18, 2013 13:23 |  #5

I'd go with the TopLoader, a retrospective or I also have a backpack that I like and bought drop-in inserts for lens and body. I find a little more room than I need tends to come in handy.

bovverwonder
30 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 18, 2013 19:54 |  #6

Check out this sling bag by Case Logic. I took it with me in my recent European trip. It's pretty small but I was able to fit my 6D, 17-40L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, Sirui tripod, plus a couple of extra batteries and a lens pen. Very comfortable because the strap is so wide. Go check it out on Amazon, only $38.99 (Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling) http://www.amazon.com …se+logic+sling+​camera+bag (external link)

6D | 7D | 17-40L | 24-70L II | 85L II | 70-200L II | 24-105L | 100L | 50 1.4 | 600EX-RT x 3 | ST-E3-RT
INSTAGRAM: http://www.instagram.c​om/bovverwonder (external link)

cleonoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 18, 2013 20:11 as a reply to  @ bovverwonder's post |  #7

Thank-you all for your feedback! I really appreciate it -- now to go look up some reviews and pictures of all these bags! :)

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2013 20:13 |  #8

If you dont want to put a long lens I would look at the thinkTANK Retro 10. I have that setup, with a grip that I use with my Retro 20 and if you dont use a longer lens like the 70-200mm the 10 will do the trick.

IMO the Retro 7 is a little small. I use one for my Fuji Mirrorless kit with a X-E1 or X-Pro1.

Al these bags are really well made, agan IMO.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

cleonoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 18, 2013 23:39 |  #9

swldstn wrote in post #16043674 (external link)
If you dont want to put a long lens I would look at the thinkTANK Retro 10. I have that setup, with a grip that I use with my Retro 20 and if you dont use a longer lens like the 70-200mm the 10 will do the trick.

IMO the Retro 7 is a little small. I use one for my Fuji Mirrorless kit with a X-E1 or X-Pro1.

Al these bags are really well made, agan IMO.

Yeah, I worry a bit that even the 7 or 10, having looked at them in-store, might be a bit bulkier than I'd like (because I really do just intend to use it with the 5D + 24-70 combo), but nonetheless I'm still really tempted to just go for one of them because the quality seems so solid. I might have to go take my camera with me and try it out in store when I actually get my hands on the delivery. :)

Probably can't hurt to have a little bit of space in it for this and that.

Thanks for your feedback as well. :)

-- Also, having just now looked at your signature, do you mind asking... have you ever used the 5D + 24-70mm in the Retrospective 7? Is there enough room? I know you said it's a bit small, but if there were nothing else in there with it, would it work?

I really appreciate your help with everything!

bovverwonder
30 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 19, 2013 19:34 |  #10

cleonoff wrote in post #16043667 (external link)
Thank-you all for your feedback! I really appreciate it -- now to go look up some reviews and pictures of all these bags! :)

The Case Logic is rated 4.5/5 stars with 480 reviews on Amazon. Can't go wrong with that :)

6D | 7D | 17-40L | 24-70L II | 85L II | 70-200L II | 24-105L | 100L | 50 1.4 | 600EX-RT x 3 | ST-E3-RT
INSTAGRAM: http://www.instagram.c​om/bovverwonder (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 19, 2013 19:37 |  #11

Domke F5B. It'll hold just that, with a front pocket for filter(s) and battery. There's just room (if you fold it) for the 580EX flash, should you want to.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 20, 2013 18:02 |  #12

Dear CLEONOFF,

Don’t worry, be happy! (Congratulations & enjoy your 5DmkIII – it is indeed a great camera!)

Bags are such a personal decision but, because you asked… here is one option you may want to seriously consider - I really like these NEW Think Tank CITY WALKER bags, which are not bulky, so that meets your criteria (& eliminates your frustration)…
To me they are sort-of-like a “modern” Domke bag.
(and while the Think Tank Retrospective Series 10 & 20 are nice bags, I found them both too bulky and heavy even empty).

Both of these below CITY WALKER bags are light-weight, very compactable (which is useful for travel etc.) and also have great really comfortable shoulder straps - unheard of in a camera bag; so you don’t need a Domke Post Office Shoulder Pad!

Try the Think Tank New CITY WALKER 10: (capacity: 400 cubic inch)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Citywalker_10_​Black.html (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=gpdvsCXqA9c (external link) (3:39 minute product video)

or if you think you are going to add stuff (e.g. flash, other lens or two) later & want more room then
CITY WALKER 20: (capacity: 600 cubic inch)
I have the City Walker 20 (solid black not the black/blue one) for a quick body contouring kit for carrying my 5DmkIII with mounted 24-70f2.8, 85f1.2, 70-200f2.8 IS mkII, a 580EXII & i-pad.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Citywalker_20_​Black.html (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=VKHMoqmpSzs (external link) (6:28 minute product video)

Hope this helps and good luck in your bag iteration process (as we have all been there & empathize with your past "disappointments")…

Mary

MARY

cleonoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 22, 2013 02:21 |  #13

happy2010 wrote in post #16049581 (external link)
Dear CLEONOFF,

Don’t worry, be happy! (Congratulations & enjoy your 5DmkIII – it is indeed a great camera!)

Bags are such a personal decision but, because you asked… here is one option you may want to seriously consider - I really like these NEW Think Tank CITY WALKER bags, which are not bulky, so that meets your criteria (& eliminates your frustration)…
To me they are sort-of-like a “modern” Domke bag.
(and while the Think Tank Retrospective Series 10 & 20 are nice bags, I found them both too bulky and heavy even empty).

Both of these below CITY WALKER bags are light-weight, very compactable (which is useful for travel etc.) and also have great really comfortable shoulder straps - unheard of in a camera bag; so you don’t need a Domke Post Office Shoulder Pad!

Try the Think Tank New CITY WALKER 10: (capacity: 400 cubic inch)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Citywalker_10_​Black.html (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=gpdvsCXqA9c (external link) (3:39 minute product video)

or if you think you are going to add stuff (e.g. flash, other lens or two) later & want more room then
CITY WALKER 20: (capacity: 600 cubic inch)
I have the City Walker 20 (solid black not the black/blue one) for a quick body contouring kit for carrying my 5DmkIII with mounted 24-70f2.8, 85f1.2, 70-200f2.8 IS mkII, a 580EXII & i-pad.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Citywalker_20_​Black.html (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=VKHMoqmpSzs (external link) (6:28 minute product video)

Hope this helps and good luck in your bag iteration process (as we have all been there & empathize with your past "disappointments")…

Mary

Mary!

I saw the links for these and immediately felt like this was more what I was looking for!

As it turned out, the only one that was in stock at any local camera store (for some reason a lot of places here don't seem to be carrying them yet) was the 20, so I picked that up for now. It's a bit bigger than I was initially leaning towards, I figured there's a decent chance of me coming around later to want to fit a 70-200 in it after all. :) MIght have to get myself a 10 as well at some point if this does end up being a bit too big, but for now I'm excited!

Thanks for the awesome advice! And oh my -- I was comparing it to the Retrospective series bags and the weight different is incredible. This really seems like quite a cool bag!

:D

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 22, 2013 10:24 |  #14

Dear CLEONOFF,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your bag search. We all benefit from each other’s experiences - that’s what makes POTN so great. So many different perspectives.

While the CITY WALKER 10 bag may be more suited to your original post criteria (& would hold an un-mounted 70-200 lens), the CITY WALKER 20 is also a light-weight but effective bag, albeit bigger but still relatively compact when compared to many of the other bags on the market.
Here in Western Canada none of the retailers have any of the Think Tank CITY WALKER series bags yet (always seems about a 6-12 mth lag for new product introductions), that’s why B&H, Adorama, Samy’s etc. are so helpful for product selection & availability.

I think the problem we have all had over the years, is based on the size of camera technology i.e. the DSLR’s are still so big & heavy! (so bags are the symptom of the underlying problem). I am a 5ft 2in petite female.

Again have fun with the nifty new Camera 5D mkIII of yours, which was a great choice of camera. (I am sure you will get tremendous image quality IQ with your 5Dmkiii & 24-70mkii; what a versatile combination) HAPPY shooting…

Mary

P.S.
If you are looking for a true “shooting” bag, for all day carrying/activity… while I think the CITY WALKER 10 (or 20) will serve that function extremely well, I have also found the Think Tank SPEED FREAK V2.0 bag very useful:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …reak_V2_0_Black​_Gray.html (external link)
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/products/speed​-freak-v2.aspx (external link) (with 0:39 second product video in bottom right corner)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=KHWWYbkH3t4 (external link) (5:24 minute product video)
to be a truly 12hour+/day bag, with no shoulder or neck fatigue or issues, as it’s convenient retractable waist-belt significantly helps distribute the bag weight. (however it is more rigid than the CITY WALKER bags, so once again you are back to that life long search and tradeoff of criterias & bag characteristics). Each have its own merits depending on the photographic application.
Else for endurance - the waist belt modular systems (such as Think Tank SKIN Systems, or Lowopro’s - I own both systems); but these are not as discrete and give a more commando look as you know.

MARY

sponsored links

8,828 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bag for 5D Mark III + Canon 24-70mm II?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.