Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

fisheye users chime in

powerhousefan
35 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 19, 2013 15:04 |  #1

i have been considering this one for a while - the price is certainly a barrier but i just can't imaging using this one all that frequently (compared to other ones).

if i decide to sell it down the road, do these drop in price significantly? i don't really see these for sale all that frequently and that worries me - will there even be demand for one should i decide to sell later?

sponsored links
lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 19, 2013 15:28 |  #2

It seems like they hold their value just as well as other lenses. As you mentioned you don't see many used ones for sale, so even though the demand is low so is the supply.

My Canon 8-15 seems to be holding it's value quite well even though it cost a lot more than the rest, but it's also like getting 2 lenses in one on FF(circular at 8mm and full frame at 15mm). It can be cheaper to only slightly more than buying one of each type while not needing to swap lenses so it makes it more desirable to many.

The 3rd party manual focus ones are quite a bit cheaper the DOF is huge on these things so there's a good chance you can get most of what you'd like to shoot without needing AF.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,636 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2013 15:51 |  #3

they are trendy right now.

you're right you probably won't use it much.

bleeped out dirty language video about fish-eye lenses. (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

powerhousefan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 19, 2013 15:52 as a reply to  @ lovemyram4x4's post |  #4

how frequently do you find yourself using the fisheye? do you find it to be a great lens or a nice to have? wonder if i should upgrade my other "prime" lenses before going with the fisheye.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,636 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2013 16:01 |  #5

powerhousefan wrote in post #16046101 (external link)
how frequently do you find yourself using the fisheye? do you find it to be a great lens or a nice to have? wonder if i should upgrade my other "prime" lenses before going with the fisheye.

i bought a fisheye for my minolta film camera. I rarely used it.

for me, it only works in very limited situations.

apparently i can buy a $40 dollar adapter to fit my canon, but I haven't done it yet. if it were going to cost me any more than about $75, i wouldn't do it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,503 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 19, 2013 16:08 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #6

I bought a Rokinon for my 7D. I hardly ever use it, but it wasn't expensive and I'll never sell it. But then, once I decide to buy something, I never sell anything. The fisheye is a handy to have thing when you feel the need.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 19, 2013 16:32 |  #7

I've got the Sigma 15mm Fisheye. I shoot concerts, I use it at almost every show I shoot.

So, to me, it was a great investment.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,844 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 19, 2013 16:32 |  #8

I have a Canon 15mm FE. It's a specialized lens that I wouldn't want to part with. No, I don't have a daily usage for it. But, I just like having it when I might want to go for a specialized look. Basically, it's just a fun lens. ;)

a7RII • RX1RII • CV12 • B18 • L21 • B25 • B85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 19, 2013 16:37 |  #9

Well I bought mine for 3 reasons. Primary is for underwater were close is always better and there's a lot of things you want really wide FOV, plus it loses it's fishyness when shooting fish(well not really just not as many things to make it as noticeable). Next for those shots that the fishyness makes the shot just that much better/cooler. Lastly for when you just want really wide.

I haven't used it yet UW since I haven't picked up my housing for the 5DIII yet(I might have the properly port extension for my 40D housing but haven't bothered to check, nor have been diving much lately). I have used for the other 2, but I don't use it that often. I do shoot a lot of varied types of things so the same could be said about just about all my lenses.

My 8-15 is a great lens but since I don't shoot things a lot that a fisheye desired(even for UW a UWA, standard zoom and macro would quite often be used instead of the fisheye) it's only a lens that's nice to have. I really wish I had one when I was younger for all the action sports I used to do(well I still do some of them, just not that often and normally don't take photos since I'm the only oldish fart that still like to jump in the groups).

Here's a couple of full frame fisheye shots that I've uploaded for photo sharing(I have a lot more but either haven't PP and/or uploaded). First is one I thought the fisheye would give it a cool look, the second is one I wanted to get it all in.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5470/9086513915_cf95391b38_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/83602155@N04/9​086513915/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8123/8640758729_ac7dd1f6e3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/83602155@N04/8​640758729/  (external link)

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 19, 2013 17:08 as a reply to  @ lovemyram4x4's post |  #10

I have the Rokinon fisheye. I decided to go with it because I just couldn't bring myself to spend more on it when I didn't know how much I'd use it. I love the lens, love the quality, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Resale value on the Rokinon seems to be OK, but it's not all that expensive to start with.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 19, 2013 18:38 |  #11

I've got the Sigma 10mm/2.8 and it is one of my favourite lenses.
It gets used fairly frequently - almost on every shoot I do and for a variety of subjects.
You'll probably find that when (if) you get one, you'll use it a lot more than you think.
The trick is to know when to use it and how much to use it.

Even though it's designed for a crop body, I use it a fair bit on my 1 Series bodies.
I does create a bit of a vignette when not used on a crop body, but it's easy enough to crop out so doesn't create that much of a problem.

Here are a few sample shots.

IMAGE: http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/undefined/5M9X8511.JPG

IMAGE: http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2013-Scouts-RallySA---Sunday/5M9X7692.JPG

IMAGE: http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2013-Scouts-RallySA---Sunday/5M9X7891.JPG

IMAGE: http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2013-Scouts-RallySA---Testing-Media-Day-and-Gawler-Super-Special-Stage/5M9X9671.JPG

IMAGE: http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/IM2_0247.JPG

IMAGE: http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2013-Mt-Alma-Mile-Hillclimb---Sunday/KB2N8780.JPG

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Hatallas
182 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 19, 2013 20:53 |  #12

I love mine, first real lens I bought for my old Xti.

It is a lot of fun, it's great for architecture and landscape. It makes for interesting portraits. And it's a great close up lens.

It will probably be the only lens I will keep until it dies.

7D | C: 70-300mn f/4-5.6L IS USM | C: 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="black"]L IS USM | C: 50mn f/1.8 II | C: 40mn f/2.8 STM | C: 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | X100s

powerhousefan
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 19, 2013 21:00 as a reply to  @ Hatallas's post |  #13

It is a lot of fun, it's great for architecture and landscape.

a friend of mine does architecture shots with the fisheye and that's what got me excited in the first place. i think i'm going to pick it up after all.

thanks for the pictures guys - awesome work!

Hatallas
182 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 19, 2013 23:16 |  #14

No matter which I e you get, you will have fun, more so than the others you have, since that lens is effect is so unique.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …as/singapore/39​9380de.jpg (external link)

7D | C: 70-300mn f/4-5.6L IS USM | C: 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="black"]L IS USM | C: 50mn f/1.8 II | C: 40mn f/2.8 STM | C: 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | X100s

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,636 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 20, 2013 08:06 |  #15

philwillmedia wrote in post #16046561 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

nice shot.

getting the helicopter in there really adds to the feeling of being there.

sponsored links

1,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
fisheye users chime in
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.