Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama trade in Service

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2013 20:49 |  #1

Prolly posted this in the wrong spot but anyways...........

I just sent in my 85 1.2 L II and a 100 2.8 L IS Macro for a 70-200 2.8 L II

Any body ever trade anything in at Adorama and how fair are they on prices?

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2013 21:15 |  #2

I feel this is a good trade. I never use these lenses and got to use a 70-200 on our trip out west and couldnt put it down!!

Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 19, 2013 21:16 |  #3

So, you have answered your own question?

GEAR LIST

scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 19, 2013 21:44 |  #4

I havent been offered a price for mine yet.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 20, 2013 15:03 |  #5

scpictaker wrote in post #16047015 (external link)
I havent been offered a price for mine yet.

The Adorama used department will aim to offer you 70% of the expected re-sale value, but of course, a final figure can only be given once they have had the opportunity to physically appraise your gear.
The used department receives hundreds of items every day, so will generally ask you to allow up to 8 days to look over your items – especially as at least 2 (and sometimes 3) highly-skilled technicians will need to examine it.
At this point you will receive a call with a firm offer; if you accept it, you can get a check right away - or you can use it as a credit toward any purchase you would like to make. Don’t forget, if you trade up for a new item, you won’t have to pay state tax on the portion of the new gear to the value of your trade!
If a deal is not made, your goods will be returned to you, fully insured, at our expense.
Sadly not everything that is sent in can be accepted, usually due to overstock issues, or because experience indicates that there is little demand for an item.

Finally – and this is important – the selling prices on the Adorama website can only be a rough guide if you are trying to figure out how much you might receive for your gear. When new models are released, the overall market tends to soften. Pre-owned units will usually drop in value, but the used department will still be looking to sell existing pre-owned stock without making too great a loss!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 20, 2013 18:44 |  #6

i don't see any reason why someone would sell to adorama or B&H...you could price them for more than they'll offer you, and still under value them, and have them posted here, and sold within minutes

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 20, 2013 19:36 |  #7

I agree, sell it yourself and make more money.

GEAR LIST

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 21, 2013 02:11 |  #8

the benefit of selling to an established company is not having to deal with the various people who come to examine, check your gear... negotiations.... and general pain in the neck that is inherrent in it. I personally prefer getting less money and dealing with a company (that I would consider fair) than having to deal with a general ad. That might sound snobbish - but the last times I had to deal with selling something to someone was so bad... that I prefer to "pay the money" just to not deal with it.

I am always impressed by those who sell so much and their patience with the process and the people involved.

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 21, 2013 05:05 |  #9

I buy and sell lenses on eBay. Probably over 500 in the last 4 years. No issues, no problems. Gives me something to do and lots of lenses to play wth. A little profit as well.

GEAR LIST

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 21, 2013 07:00 |  #10

Wow 500 lenses in 4 years, that about 2 1/2 a week... If you sell that many, then you have to buy that many too. Amazing you could have that many go through your hands, thats a lens bought or sold every working day.... I'll bet UPS likes you... Of course EBay and PayPal are making about 13% a transaction too.

I've sold quite a few items here. EBay, isn't nearly as good a market as you have here on this site.

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 21, 2013 09:48 |  #11

ceriltheblade wrote in post #16050673 (external link)
the benefit of selling to an established company is not having to deal with the various people who come to examine, check your gear... negotiations.... and general pain in the neck that is inherrent in it. I personally prefer getting less money and dealing with a company (that I would consider fair) than having to deal with a general ad. That might sound snobbish - but the last times I had to deal with selling something to someone was so bad... that I prefer to "pay the money" just to not deal with it.

I am always impressed by those who sell so much and their patience with the process and the people involved.

i think a lot of the pain in the neck aspect is gone once you're selling online...

take the 85L he has for example...what do they sell for used $1600? or so...so adorama will offer something like $1100...say he adds 15% to that to cover ebay fees, he could put a buy it now at $1265 on ebay, and that lens would sell probably in less than an hour...hell he could put it up for $1400, and sell it instantly

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Shackleton
986 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 21, 2013 15:10 |  #12

P51Mstg wrote in post #16051017 (external link)
Wow 500 lenses in 4 years, that about 2 1/2 a week... If you sell that many, then you have to buy that many too. Amazing you could have that many go through your hands, thats a lens bought or sold every working day.... I'll bet UPS likes you... Of course EBay and PayPal are making about 13% a transaction too.

I've sold quite a few items here. EBay, isn't nearly as good a market as you have here on this site.

Mark H

I've bought and sold here too-I love not being required to accept paypal, and not having to pay listing fees-that said, I would understand if some sort of yearly paid membership were required, and I would probably pay it. The only issue I have is an upgrade to the feedback system would be great. Current system is adequate but having ratings displayed next to usernames would be nice.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 21, 2013 15:12 |  #13

eBay works fine for me. I have 17 lenses up for bid at the moment. Many people are scared of eBay but that is silly in a way.

GEAR LIST

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 22, 2013 22:19 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #16051503 (external link)
take the 85L he has for example...what do they sell for used $1600? or so...so adorama will offer something like $1100...say he adds 15% to that to cover ebay fees, he could put a buy it now at $1265 on ebay, and that lens would sell probably in less than an hour...hell he could put it up for $1400, and sell it instantly

He could sell it to me for $1400 +paypal + shipping instantly and I'll give him a bunch of references and enough personal info to feel comfortable that I'm not going to scam him.

You're right though, for $1400 you could basically choose who you felt comfortable selling it to.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,151 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 22, 2013 23:20 as a reply to  @ ejenner's post |  #15

When I had my 300 f2.8 IS for sale, I contacted Adorama. I emailed them a link to detailed photos of the lens and a description about its condition. The lens was 2 yrs old and in mint condition. I didn't want to send them the lens until I got a ball park idea of what they would pay. The lens included the case and all accessories that came with it, all in perfect condition. Adorama told me for a lens in this condition $2500 is the max they would offer. I later sold the lens for almost $4k. I contacted BHP and their offer was $3k.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

sponsored links

4,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama trade in Service
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.