Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will Lightroom ever completely replace Photoshop?

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jun 19, 2013 22:16 |  #16

Not for me, and graphic designers are replacing photographers more and more every day.

That's why I'm majoring in both fields.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links
georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 19, 2013 22:56 |  #17

Tony-S wrote in post #16047091 (external link)
I don't know about Lightroom, but after adding the Nik suite to Aperture, I don't even know the last time I edited a photo in Photoshop.

I'm migrating everything from my Tower PC to my Mac Book Pro. I currently have LR2 and PS CS4 on my tower. However, I rarely use PS. It sounds like you are pleased with Aperture. Can you do layers with Aperture or do you need on of the NIK add-ons? Any advice before I make the move?

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,956 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 19, 2013 23:02 |  #18

Tony-S wrote in post #16047091 (external link)
I don't know about Lightroom, but after adding the Nik suite to Aperture, I don't even know the last time I edited a photo in Photoshop.

I'm also not a fan of Silver Efex. I have both LR 4 and Silver Efex and prefer photoshop (CS4)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,974 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 20, 2013 04:49 |  #19

What a ot of folks forget is that PSCS/PSE when used with LR works in exactly the same way as any other plugin. The only real difference is that with compatible versions ACR is used to render the image as it is opened into the PS window so that the default file type as defined in the LR Edit in Photoshop settings is not generated until you hit save in PS. I guess that when it comes down to it Adobe should be pushing PS as the ultimate LR Plugin. It would certainly save a lot of confusion.

It would be nice to see Adobe produce a 'LR Plugin" version of PS with a photography based tool set similar to Elements, but with full 16 bit support. As long as it was outside CC like PSE it would fill the needsof serious amature photographers for whom CC is un-economic. It would not really need a version of ACR as there is nothing stopping LR rendering the imagesand creating the file on open, as is done for all the other plugins.

Personally I was disapointed when I discovered that the so called plugins that offered layers within LR were nothing more than a stand alone application with a separate interface requiring the RAW file to be rendered just like using any other editing program. This was why I went back to using versions of PS as I already knew the tools and interface.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2013 17:00 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

maverick75 wrote in post #16047093 (external link)
Not for me, and graphic designers are replacing photographers more and more every day.

That's why I'm majoring in both fields.

Yeah, how so??? Can you photoshop something that hasn't been photographed? In fact, can you produce a photo without photographing the subject at all?

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 20, 2013 17:11 |  #21

TooManyShots wrote in post #16049436 (external link)
Yeah, how so??? Can you photoshop something that hasn't been photographed? In fact, can you produce a photo without photographing the subject at all?

Yes. 3D rendered images are already starting to replace photographs in product advertising shots.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2013 17:22 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16049466 (external link)
Yes. 3D rendered images are already starting to replace photographs in product advertising shots.

That's CG.:rolleyes: Not photography. Look, you can't CG a football game taking place with real players in real time.

Facebook (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 20, 2013 17:26 |  #23

TooManyShots wrote in post #16049493 (external link)
That's CG.:rolleyes: Not photography. Look, you can CG a football game taking place with real players in real time.

You asked if you could produce a photo without photographing the subject, I told you that in the product photography market it's already happening. Will it effect everyone? Of course not, but it is happening.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 20, 2013 17:32 |  #24

Absolutely no chance.

For photographers maybe, but photoshop has a million and one uses beyond lightroom.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2013 17:35 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16049504 (external link)
You asked if you could produce a photo without photographing the subject, I told you that in the product photography market it's already happening. Will it effect everyone? Of course not, but it is happening.

That's far from replacing photographers because CG can't capture real time events. You can't CG a wedding. You can't CG the brides and grooms. Really, a photo of some CG rendering is called photography???

Facebook (external link)

docstryder
39 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 20, 2013 17:45 |  #26

Each has its own use. In my opinion Photoshop has too many features to ever be completely replaced by LR. LR makes stuff easy. But PS is essential in that there are somethings you can only do in PS.

7D | Canon 10-22 | 55-250 | 18-55 | 50 1.8
Flickr (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 20, 2013 17:59 |  #27

I never warmed up to LR.
Bridge->Photoshop all the way.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 20, 2013 18:36 |  #28

I honestly only use photoshop for panoramic images. I use lightroom for 99% of everything else I need.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

docstryder
39 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 21, 2013 00:38 |  #29

LR is kind of difficult to wrap your head around the first time around. Then one day you triage about a thousand shots in a couple of hours including some edits and get 10 or 15 awesome ones. Then the light bulb goes on in your head. So this is what it is used for..
Now you can't really manage without it.

7D | Canon 10-22 | 55-250 | 18-55 | 50 1.8
Flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 21, 2013 03:43 |  #30

TooManyShots wrote in post #16049436 (external link)
In fact, can you produce a photo without photographing the subject at all?

Yes.

TooManyShots wrote in post #16049528 (external link)
That's far from replacing photographers because CG can't capture real time events.

Wow! Talk about moving the goalposts.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

3,709 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will Lightroom ever completely replace Photoshop?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.