Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A playful edit

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,128 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 19, 2013 17:00 |  #1

The Operating Room.

This is one of the operating rooms aboard the USS Hornet.

IMAGE: http://genelewis.smugmug.com/Photography/HDR-High-Dynamic-Range-photos/i-6ZjC6kb/0/XL/Operating-room-XL.jpg

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
rafikiwilliams
77 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 19, 2013 17:43 |  #2

Are you sure this isnt taken from a comic book? Definitely has that unreal feel to it.

Hannahsdad
116 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 19, 2013 17:45 |  #3

very nice, brings back memories from my Navy days. Imagine having to perform surgery using only battle lanterns,wouldn't want to be on that table.

"A Mans heart away from nature turns hard"
Standing Bear

navydoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,128 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 19, 2013 18:43 as a reply to  @ Hannahsdad's post |  #4

Thanks for the comments. I was going for kind of a cgi look. Sick bay is generally located as close to the ships center of gravity as possible to minimize movement. Of course, an aircraft carrier like this one doesn't get tossed around like a smaller ship either. Still, if battle lanterns are all that's available, that's better than having to hold flashlights. ;)

Here's the original image I worked from by the way:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 20, 2013 06:37 |  #5

im normally not a fan of this processing style but it does work well here. the image seems slightly off kilter, maybe a slight clockwise rotation.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Ianfp
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 20, 2013 06:49 |  #6

I really like what you did with the shot! It is also very interesting to see inside the aircraft carrier!

Ian
Nikon D850, 85mm f/1.4G
5D2
EF17-40 f/4.0 L, EF135 f/2.0L EF200 f/2.8L

EF24-105L, EF100 f/2.8L Macro. EOS-M, 22mm f/2
Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f/2.8

adamfarl
100 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 20, 2013 07:19 |  #7

Definitely feels like a video game. Really creepy. Your mind starts creating a story just by looking at it. Nice work.

Canon 6D | Canon 50 1.4 | Sigma 150-500 | Canon 17-40L

Qbx
Goldmember
3,951 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 20, 2013 08:53 |  #8

What's CGI? This looks like grungy HDR - and I like it. Couldn't you get a Wave to pose on that table though and go for a pin-up look?

-- Image Editing OK --

navydoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,128 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 20, 2013 09:05 |  #9

mike_311 wrote in post #16047818 (external link)
im normally not a fan of this processing style but it does work well here. the image seems slightly off kilter, maybe a slight clockwise rotation.

Thanks. Because I aimed up a little to include the lighting, the whole image is off kilter a bit. If I rotate clockwise, then the hatch on the right will lean even more to the right.

Ianfp wrote in post #16047842 (external link)
I really like what you did with the shot! It is also very interesting to see inside the aircraft carrier!

Thanks. That was the main reason for visiting the ship, to compare the medical and dental depts. with my old ship, the Oriskany.

adamfarl wrote in post #16047909 (external link)
Definitely feels like a video game. Really creepy. Your mind starts creating a story just by looking at it. Nice work.

Thanks. That's the kind of look I was going for...a bit creepy.

Qbx wrote in post #16048106 (external link)
What's CGI? This looks like grungy HDR - and I like it. Couldn't you get a Wave to pose on that table though and go for a pin-up look?

CGI= computer generated image...I thought I'd see if I could make the room appear like it was more like a matte painting from some science fiction movie or game. No Waves aboard but placing an alien into the scene might have worked. :D

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 20, 2013 18:27 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #10

Gene...I like the PP...what concerns me is the bone saw on the overhead table and no anesthesia machine present. Are navy guys that tough? :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 20, 2013 18:30 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #11

Gene...I like the PP...what concerns me is an operating room without an anesthesia machine present. Are navy guys that tough? :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Elusivesouls
88 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 20, 2013 19:09 |  #12

It looks like it's from the game Fallout 3 or Borderlands 2. I like it. :)

navydoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,128 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 20, 2013 19:19 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #13

Thanks Chauncey. First, yes...Navy guys are that tough. ;) And second, see that black bladder on the table? It's next to the saw used to remove casts...not to cut bones. :D That's what the anesthesiologist uses to pump the gas through a mask to the patients by hand.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,396 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 20, 2013 22:08 |  #14

Nice work, doc. I like it. Reminds me of a scene from the movie called Away All Boats. The doc comes staggering out after a kamikaze attack and says, "That man....on the table..."

Mark J.
Gear

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 20, 2013 23:18 |  #15

I think it is excellent

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sponsored links

2,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
A playful edit
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.