Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)

this thread is locked
Stompert
102 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 21, 2013 07:41 |  #2011

And *BAM*, cute looking shot, just like that

Canon 60D | 100mm f2.8 L IS USM <3 | 50mm f1.8 | 17-85 IS USM | Tokina 11-16 f2.8

sponsored links
BurnUnit
845 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2012

Jun 21, 2013 08:06 |  #2012

Immaculens wrote in post #16050404 (external link)
I only have 6gb ram and when Lr4 and 2 other programs are running like Chrome and Windows Live Mail - my ram rarely goes over 55%. I see Lr4/5 just use 1.8gb which is about the highest I've seen it... I never understood how 16GB ram to makes Lr run better - if Lr is only using less than 2gb?

what do you mean swapping below... the virtual ram?...

I'm assuming he/she's talking about page filing or scratch disk usage when there's no RAM available. I don't have LR but PS can be a bit of a memory hog for some tasks. But I've got an old desktop with WinXP, AMD dual core and 4gb of RAM with a memory monitor running in the tool tray. Even with PS and maybe a couple of other apps open I seldom see it drop below 1gb of available RAM. I figure that's enough to keep it from page filing or writing to the scratch disk.

Am I thinking about this in the right way? If I wanted more speed I'm figuring that I'd need a faster processor or OS, and not just more RAM. :confused:

Canon 60D+EFs 18-200, EFs 10-18, G5, A20 (retired), Pentax Optio Z10, Powershot A620 and a recently adopted Digital Rebel/300D

"They've introduced a new camera that's so advanced, you don't even need it!"
Steven Wright

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,284 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 21, 2013 08:25 |  #2013

I think ram, processor and faster hard drives all contributes when it comes to speed. Just my thought.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,284 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 21, 2013 08:28 |  #2014

I have exciting pin up shots yesterday with fellow photogs here in our area. I can't wait to process them.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

swhiggins
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2013 08:42 |  #2015

Immaculens wrote in post #16050404 (external link)
I only have 6gb ram and when Lr4 and 2 other programs are running like Chrome and Windows Live Mail - my ram rarely goes over 55%. I see Lr4/5 just use 1.8gb which is about the highest I've seen it... I never understood how 16GB ram to makes Lr run better - if Lr is only using less than 2gb?

what do you mean swapping below... the virtual ram?

I need a quad core... I've just done a google search on comparative speed between 4 & 5 and while the occasional person says Lr5 is faster - the typical reviews its about the same...

Hi, I opened task manager while editing a photo and watched the RAM usage. Before localized edits, Lightroom was under 500MB, I think it was actually in the 350 range or so. Once I started adding localized corrections with the brush, the amount of RAM used by LR5 jumped a lot. By the time I was done with my photo LR was using about 2GB of RAM. I was only running Firefox to stream audio from my favorite web-radio station, LR5, the OS and whatever it runs in the background. Once LR requested enough RAM, the OS had to start using virtual memory (hard drive) and LR became very very slow. (this was with 8GB installed).

After installing 16GB, I haven't pushed my system to the point that it requires virtual memory, and LR5 remains responsive. (At least, I think that this is what is going on).

I've recently formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows, I ran the LR5 beta for a few weeks then it came out, and then I upgraded to the official release. I think that there is a minimum amount of crap on my PC. It is an AMD x555 dual core.

If you stay out of the adjustment brush, the RAM usage doesn't appear to be too bad. I'm pretty sure I did at least one graduated filter and the RAM usage didn't spike too badly with that edit.

I searched on the Adobe website, but the few posts that mention this seem to imply that it is a Wacom tablet issue. Well, unfortunately I don't have one of those, I'm just using a Microsoft Mouse.

I hope this helps, it's just my experience with it.

Best,
Steve

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,285 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 21, 2013 09:57 |  #2016

thanks for the conversation Steve, how do know when virtual memory kicks in - and for that matter... if Lr and other apps are only using a portion of physical ram... why would the pc use virtual ram at all?

sorry - what did you search on the adobe site - and do you mean have a Wacon Tablet was a good thing or negative thing, as you wrote you unfortunately did not have one - only a mouse?

I ask because I use a Wakom Bamboo Capture daily

Thanks ~

swhiggins wrote in post #16051300 (external link)
Hi, I opened task manager while editing a photo and watched the RAM usage. Before localized edits, Lightroom was under 500MB, I think it was actually in the 350 range or so. Once I started adding localized corrections with the brush, the amount of RAM used by LR5 jumped a lot. By the time I was done with my photo LR was using about 2GB of RAM. I was only running Firefox to stream audio from my favorite web-radio station, LR5, the OS and whatever it runs in the background. Once LR requested enough RAM, the OS had to start using virtual memory (hard drive) and LR became very very slow. (this was with 8GB installed).

After installing 16GB, I haven't pushed my system to the point that it requires virtual memory, and LR5 remains responsive. (At least, I think that this is what is going on).

I've recently formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows, I ran the LR5 beta for a few weeks then it came out, and then I upgraded to the official release. I think that there is a minimum amount of crap on my PC. It is an AMD x555 dual core.

If you stay out of the adjustment brush, the RAM usage doesn't appear to be too bad. I'm pretty sure I did at least one graduated filter and the RAM usage didn't spike too badly with that edit.

I searched on the Adobe website, but the few posts that mention this seem to imply that it is a Wacom tablet issue. Well, unfortunately I don't have one of those, I'm just using a Microsoft Mouse.

I hope this helps, it's just my experience with it.

Best,
Steve

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 85 f/1.8
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 21, 2013 11:54 |  #2017

Super Moon(?) last night taken with my 5Dc, 70-200 f/4 stacked on a 1.4x II converter. Not bad to me, but I'll be keeping my 60D for the reach.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

5Dc moonshot (external link) by detpenguin5 (external link), on Flickr

feedback

gear list

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,284 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 21, 2013 12:10 |  #2018

very nice. that's why i bought a crop(SL1) for the reach. I'm planning to get a 2x tele one day

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 21, 2013 12:48 |  #2019

Thanks Vinz. If the weather cooperates, I'm going to duplicate the shot with the 60D to compare, although I think I already know the answer.

feedback

gear list

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,284 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 21, 2013 12:55 |  #2020

My first pin up attempt. CC's are welcome.... i have more of the series but NSFW. I'll give you a link once i process all of them.

SL1+Canon 17-55 Combo

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

A glimpse from the shoot. i'm not sure if this is ok to post here.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,676 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 21, 2013 14:17 |  #2021

Looks great Vinz!! The first one is really grainy (on my POS work monitor) but it might look better black and white.
Waiting patiently for a link..lol

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,284 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 21, 2013 14:23 |  #2022

had i overdone adding noise? thanks... i will check it out.

here's ur request 8/11

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 21, 2013 14:26 |  #2023

vinmunoz wrote in post #16052123 (external link)
My first pin up attempt. CC's are welcome.... i have more of the series but NSFW. I'll give you a link once i process all of them.

SL1+Canon 17-55 Combo

IMAGE NOT FOUND

A glimpse from the shoot. i'm not sure if this is ok to post here.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

First one looks genuine vintage photo. Very nice.

BTW, those are totally safe for my work. ;)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,673 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 21, 2013 14:29 as a reply to  @ Canon_Lover's post |  #2024

6D has insane ISO abilities. This is 12,800 and looks better than 3,200 on the 5D2 to me.

Zero banding at all ISO levels even pushed to extremes.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

swhiggins
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 21, 2013 15:03 |  #2025

Immaculens wrote in post #16051529 (external link)
thanks for the conversation Steve, how do know when virtual memory kicks in - and for that matter... if Lr and other apps are only using a portion of physical ram... why would the pc use virtual ram at all?

sorry - what did you search on the adobe site - and do you mean have a Wacon Tablet was a good thing or negative thing, as you wrote you unfortunately did not have one - only a mouse?

I ask because I use a Wakom Bamboo Capture daily

Thanks ~

Hi Willi,

My guess is that on my machine, Windows 7 x64, Firefox, and LR5 running together were enough to max out the RAM. It seems bizarre, but the effects were hard to miss... my web-radio station started cutting in and out, and the mouse started behaving erratically in lightroom... like the update rate was slower than normal. It was really difficult to smoothly apply corrections.

That's when I opened up task manager to see what the heck was going on. I know that my processor isn't the latest and greatest either, but it is running ~3.2GHz, if I recall correctly.

I'd love a Wacom tablet, but Santa hasn't brought me one yet...
:-)

Best,
Steve

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

sponsored links

707,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D users, friends and their random OT B.S. (II)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.