Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jun 2013 (Friday) 16:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Possible Dumb Question - Aperture Modifications???

ExplicitSnow
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 21, 2013 16:31 |  #1

just got to thinking the other day, "what if you could swap out aperture blades from 1 lens to another?"

such as using a 24-70 f2.8 lens w/ a 35L f1.4 aperture???

is this possible? is this a stupid question not worthy of an answer???

complete curiosity here as i dont own a 24-70 & no longer own a 35L

thanks though

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 21, 2013 16:44 |  #2

What would be the point? It isn't like putting a bigger aperture in a slower lens would make the slow lens work like a faster lens. The entrance pupil is going to start becoming the restriction.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

ExplicitSnow
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 21, 2013 16:48 |  #3

JeffreyG wrote in post #16052851 (external link)
What would be the point? It isn't like putting a bigger aperture in a slower lens would make the slow lens work like a faster lens. The entrance pupil is going to start becoming the restriction.

reason for the question...it was a simple thought that popped in my head randomly the other night...thanks

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2013 16:55 |  #4

Probably not. Just because the aperture blades are designed around the optics and barrel and are all different sizes. I suppose if you crafted your own to fit in the area designed by Canon to take the aperture blades, it could work.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 21, 2013 17:09 |  #5

It guess it would be useful if you were replacing straight blades with curved blades for nicer boken. On the other hand if you already have a lens with curved blades(assuming they'd fit the other lens) it's probably already a better overall lens.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 21, 2013 20:43 |  #6

ExplicitSnow wrote in post #16052820 (external link)
just got to thinking the other day, "what if you could swap out aperture blades from 1 lens to another?"

such as using a 24-70 f2.8 lens w/ a 35L f1.4 aperture???

is this possible? is this a stupid question not worthy of an answer???

complete curiosity here as i dont own a 24-70 & no longer own a 35L

thanks though

I apologize if this sounds condescending, but it seems like you are thinking about the redesign of optics created by professional designers and engineers without the appropriate skill or knowledge required to properly understand their original design choices. If this is not your area of expertise what would you hope to gain over the original design of experienced engineers?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 22, 2013 09:31 |  #7

ExplicitSnow wrote in post #16052865 (external link)
reason for the question...it was a simple thought that popped in my head randomly the other night...thanks

Look at it like this. There is a reason why fast lenses have large objective elements. It's to let in more light. Compare a set of good night binoculars to a standard pair. The objective end is huge so that they gather more light to allow you to see at night, even under starlight. Look at the size of the 17-55 vs. the 18-55. That added size is what is needed to bring in an additional stop of light. The extra 1 mm of field is a slight factor, but most of the difference in the objective end of the lens is for light gathering. Even if you could make the blades fit in the 18-55 (no way, but if you could), it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the speed of the lens.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 22, 2013 09:54 |  #8

The easiest way to understand this is as follows: If all you had to do to make a lens faster was stick a bigger aperture in it, don't you think Canon would have done that in the first place?

The EF-S 18-55 is $150. The EF-S 17-55 is $950. If you could just take the $5 aperture from the 17-55 and put it in the 18-55 and get the 18-55 to be a constant f/2.8 lens, then I'm pretty sure that is what Canon would have done.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

1,290 views & 0 likes for this thread
Possible Dumb Question - Aperture Modifications???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.