Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 5 is out.....

CaptainSteve
337 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 22, 2013 14:04 |  #166

I Bought LR2 and been upgrading each time ever since, just installed LR5 night and it is indeed a bit faster than LR4 . I love it! the F key shortcut to fullscreen is badazz, just hit the L&R arrows to scroll through and X to delete the ones I don't want.. those previews are indeed faster to load in the Develope mode.

Thumbs up for me!

1DX | 5D III | 7D | 50D | 40D | 100-400 II L | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 16-35L II | 24-105L | Sigma 30 f1.4
My Portfolio
http://captainstevepho​tography.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
http://captainstevepho​tography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 22, 2013 14:57 as a reply to  @ post 16054806 |  #167

How many have gone crazy and have LR, Catalog, and Cache on different SSDs?

oxygen45
150 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 22, 2013 22:09 |  #168

CaptainSteve wrote in post #16055014 (external link)
I Bought LR2 and been upgrading each time ever since, just installed LR5 night and it is indeed a bit faster than LR4 . I love it! the F key shortcut to fullscreen is badazz, just hit the L&R arrows to scroll through and X to delete the ones I don't want.. those previews are indeed faster to load in the Develope mode.

Thumbs up for me!

This sounds a lot easier than what i am doing in 4. Am waiting to see if they approve my complimentary upgrade but may pay for it if not now.

Canon 60D ~ Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon 55-250 IS II | Sigma 150-600 C

darktiger
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 22, 2013 22:14 |  #169

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #16055089 (external link)

I have :)

My Flickr (external link)
My Gear
My Zenfolio (external link)

shabbs
23 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 22, 2013 22:21 |  #170

BigBadWolfie wrote in post #16055089 (external link)

That is crazy... crazy awesome!

:cool:

[Shabbs]
Current gear: Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Flickr (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 22, 2013 23:46 |  #171

Refill wrote in post #16054806 (external link)
I'm sorry, but you didn't read my post correctly.

I have already discussed this Lr issue with other forum members, and the only way is to use another software for this task (selection at 100% among huge number of RAW images, I also tried 1:1 previews rendering, which was even more time consuming). I already went from 4 to 8G ram on my home computer just because of this Lr5 issue, but now I deleted Lr (and kept the 8G of course! but 4G was fine for all other apps). And yes, I have win7 64bits pro.

I read your post correctly. What you are doing is not unusual but your computer is underspec'd and you likely had a few settings that were sub optimal.

You are correct. Given that you have what you have another software package is probably a better choice for you.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

lsquare
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 23, 2013 02:20 |  #172

How many of you guys are using the new smart preview feature? I'm not convinced that it's a handy feature for my desktop, but I could see it be a nice feature for laptops.

lsquare
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 23, 2013 02:52 |  #173

Bob_A wrote in post #16053423 (external link)
If you are having issues it's your system and the way you've set up the software:

- As already mentioned, an SSD can make a huge difference
- Camera RAW cache settings need to be increased to a max of 20GB
- Standard Preview Size in catalog settings needs to be set to a number of pixels higher than the horizontal spec for your monitor (for my 1920 x 1200 monitor it's set to 2048).
- 8GB RAM is ok'ish. I have 12, but my next system will have 16 min and more likely 32GB.
- I assume that you are running 64 bit Win 7 ... but if you're running 32 bit that would be big part of your problem
- If you are going to be working on the same group of images over a long period of time and have lots of HDD space then increase the time you keep 1:1 previews to something like a month

I have close to 30,000 images in my catalog and it works fine. I even auto write to XMP and don't experience any slowness. To me it's the ultimate tool if you are dealing with thousands of images.

I think a SSD and RAM makes a huge difference. I'm not sure how 32GB will really benefit most people. I have a hard time making full use of 16GB of RAM. I think the best combination right now is a fast SSD and 16GB of RAM. I wouldn't settle for anything less.

Refill
177 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 23, 2013 03:30 |  #174

Again, my system and settings are fine, thanks ;)

But people must know that there are MUCH faster solutions than Lr for browsing RAW at 100%, in case it can help them! Just search the forum, this has been discussed before.

Bob_A wrote in post #16056226 (external link)
I read your post correctly. What you are doing is not unusual but your computer is underspec'd and you likely had a few settings that were sub optimal.

You are correct. Given that you have what you have another software package is probably a better choice for you.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,463 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 23, 2013 06:34 |  #175

Refill wrote in post #16056470 (external link)
Again, my system and settings are fine, thanks ;)

But people must know that there are MUCH faster solutions than Lr for browsing RAW at 100%, in case it can help them! Just search the forum, this has been discussed before.

I agree. I have never liked the browser aspects of LR's Import module, even after they improved it greatly for LR3. LR1 and 2 were utterly worthless. I browse/rate my cards in Breeze Browser Pro, use it for the transfer to the computer, and only then do "Add" in LR Import.

Elie / אלי

lsquare
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 23, 2013 08:25 |  #176

tzalman wrote in post #16056686 (external link)
I agree. I have never liked the browser aspects of LR's Import module, even after they improved it greatly for LR3. LR1 and 2 were utterly worthless. I browse/rate my cards in Breeze Browser Pro, use it for the transfer to the computer, and only then do "Add" in LR Import.

I don't get it. How much faster can your solution be? On my Core i5 2500K at 4.0ghz, 16GB of RAM, and a Crucial M4 SSD, everything loads up almost instantaneously. I don't notice any slowdown unless I get LR to build a 1:1 preview.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 23, 2013 08:49 |  #177

Refill wrote in post #16056470 (external link)
MUCH faster solutions than Lr for browsing RAW at 100%

lsquare wrote in post #16056839 (external link)
I don't notice any slowdown unless I get LR to build a 1:1 preview.

Sounds like you agreee with each other.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 23, 2013 19:52 |  #178

lsquare wrote in post #16056444 (external link)
I think a SSD and RAM makes a huge difference. I'm not sure how 32GB will really benefit most people. I have a hard time making full use of 16GB of RAM. I think the best combination right now is a fast SSD and 16GB of RAM. I wouldn't settle for anything less.

12-16GB is fine and anything higher will have little benefit for LR. However, for my next system I will likely go with 32 GB of faster RAM, just because it's not all that expensive anymore and I tend to only upgrade every few years.

SSD and the 20GB cache setting both improve speed significantly.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Arob1000
823 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Jun 23, 2013 20:02 |  #179

I'm upgrading my 2.0ghz i7 Macbook Pro from 8 to 16 gigs of ram and from a normal hd to a 500gb SSD, pretty excited, I'm ok when I'm running Lightroom but if I'm exporting a photo to Photoshop for a panorama or to an external editor it really slows up and sometimes freezes up on my. It'll be nice to not have to worry about that anymore.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 23, 2013 20:45 as a reply to  @ Arob1000's post |  #180
bannedPermanent ban

I've just experienced an extreme slow down with an extended use of the adjustment brush on two different powerful computers. Totally different configurations that functioned fine with LR 4.4. Wow....the two totally different systems are just crawling!

Dave

sponsored links

23,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 5 is out.....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.