Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 Jun 2013 (Wednesday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama trade in Service

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 22, 2013 23:27 |  #16

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #16056177 (external link)
When I had my 300 f2.8 IS for sale, I contacted Adorama. I emailed them a link to detailed photos of the lens and a description about its condition. The lens was 2 yrs old and in mint condition. I didn't want to send them the lens until I got a ball park idea of what they would pay. The lens included the case and all accessories that came with it, all in perfect condition. Adorama told me for a lens in this condition $2500 is the max they would offer.

I have no idea how other resellers calculate the amount they can offer, but at Adorama's used department get upwards of 1,800 pieces sent in for evaluation every week........that's a LOT of used gear (there are around 26-27,000 used pieces in our warehouse right now!) The way the value is established is by using a calculation which takes into account the number of exact same units (of the same grade) in the warehouse at the time of your trade; the average number of that exact same unit in stock over the past 6 months; the average selling price of the unit over the past 6 months and projected decreases in the pre-owned market in the coming months due to new models becoming available. That gives them the ‘value’.

Then they offer up to 70% of that figure, (to cover shipping, insurance, staffing, advertising, the warranty, warehousing costs AND the boss expects them to turn a profit), but of course, a final figure can only be given once they have had the opportunity to physically appraise gear. They send out a pre-paid shipping label so units can be sent in for a thorough evaluation – fully insured – at no cost to the seller! And as you know, if no price can be agreed, there is the cost of returning the gear to the seller.

sponsored links
Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 22, 2013 23:28 |  #17

I sold my 7D on ebay and it was a headache. The person who bought it kept sending emails with questions on how to use it. I sold things to Adorama , and yes I got less for them but it was hassle free. Sometimes you pay for convenience. (price out the "per pound cost" of coffee when packaged in K cups) If you want to be 100% sure that the sale will be trouble free, Adorama is the way to go. If you want more money in your pocket and don't mind having to deal with individuals, the go the forum or ebay route.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 23, 2013 12:56 |  #18

Sorry but Adorama is not, never has been trouble free.

GEAR LIST

TheLensGuy
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 23, 2013 13:41 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Why would you ever "trade" anything when you can get a lot more if you sold it yourself? Same thing applies to car dealers and trading in cars. A car that you can sell to private party for 35k is worth 30k to a dealer. The 5k difference is there only for 1 reason only and thats because you as the seller did not want to bother with listing and selling the car. Instead you literally wasted your hard earned cash.

Why would I let adorama sell my 4k lens and give me 2.5k for it? Am I incapable of selling it myself? Why should I let a 3rd party make profit on a sale without any capital. Think about it. You bought a lens for 5k, you paid for it. You give it to adorama for 2.5k, they sell it for 4k, they made 1.5k in a financial transaction with almost no risk. Its just beyond me why people do this kind of thing.

I always sell my own gear and always get top dollar for it. Yes sometimes it takes 1 week or 1 month but still.

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,481 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 23, 2013 14:31 |  #20

I will give you a counter example.
1. ) there are people who work for a living and make more money per hour than the difference between selling their gear privately than through a 3rd party. The time that it takes to deal with the truly inquisitive phone calls, the people who try to call and negotiate on the phone/email/texts... the ones who set a time and flake.... This all takes time...and time is money, truly.

2.) I am a person who hates selling anything. I probably couldn't sell water to a thirsty man in the middle of a desert. And it is a skill that I have no interest in deveoping.

Add those 2 things together and I find the loss of potential monies to be gained to be dwarfed by far by the additional time and lack of people to get on my nerves a win in the "me" category.

This is my way of looking at this.... and if adorama has 26-27k used items ob their shelves, I am going to guess that I am not the only one.

As I said in an earlier post.....I am impressed by people who can sell... I am not one of those kinds of people.

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

TheLensGuy
598 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 23, 2013 15:33 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

I guess this is more about a personality thing than anything else (i.e. income). Because even if I had a 7 figure income, I still would not go for the trade in option. I guess it's more of a principle thing than anything else.

As for selling something, anyone can do anything, as long as they really want to do it.

And Helen says there are 27,000 used items in their warehouse, I highly doubt those high earning photographers you mention is more than 1-2% of that.

ceriltheblade wrote in post #16057663 (external link)
I will give you a counter example.
1. ) there are people who work for a living and make more money per hour than the difference between selling their gear privately than through a 3rd party. The time that it takes to deal with the truly inquisitive phone calls, the people who try to call and negotiate on the phone/email/texts... the ones who set a time and flake.... This all takes time...and time is money, truly.

2.) I am a person who hates selling anything. I probably couldn't sell water to a thirsty man in the middle of a desert. And it is a skill that I have no interest in deveoping.

Add those 2 things together and I find the loss of potential monies to be gained to be dwarfed by far by the additional time and lack of people to get on my nerves a win in the "me" category.

This is my way of looking at this.... and if adorama has 26-27k used items ob their shelves, I am going to guess that I am not the only one.

As I said in an earlier post.....I am impressed by people who can sell... I am not one of those kinds of people.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 25, 2013 02:23 |  #22

gasrocks wrote in post #16057455 (external link)
Sorry but Adorama is not, never has been trouble free.

Hmmmmm...2nd negative comment from you about Adorama in this thread, but you have failed to respond to my request for additional information.

We ship over 5,000 packages every day and I don't read 24,999 complaints a week. If you have a specific issue you might find that contacting me directly: Helen@adorama.com (external link) will enable me to fix the issue(s).

Or you can continue to make unsubstantiated comments.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 25, 2013 10:12 |  #23

First off I notice no other retailer has a paid employee posting on this forum or any other photo forum I know about. Reason: they do not have to. Bought a used lens on-line from Adorama, my last, will stay the last. 3 days later got an e-mail saying the order cannot be shipped until I call a certain salesperson. Took another 2 days to connect with him. Problem, I asked? I see you did not buy the extended warranty or the "kit" we offered with the lens. Big B.S. Of course not I said. Took another 2 days before they shipped my lens. Not the first such treatment from them. I would not touch Adorama wth a 10 foot pole, so to speak.

GEAR LIST

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,127 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 25, 2013 10:49 |  #24

B&H have an employee that posts here
lensrentals.com has roger that posts here occasionally
borrowlenses.com used to have someone that would post here occasionally...

i'm sure most of the companies have people behind the scenes here at the very least...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 25, 2013 12:15 |  #25

gasrocks wrote in post #16063269 (external link)
First off I notice no other retailer has a paid employee posting on this forum or any other photo forum I know about. Reason: they do not have to. Bought a used lens on-line from Adorama, my last, will stay the last. 3 days later got an e-mail saying the order cannot be shipped until I call a certain salesperson. Took another 2 days to connect with him. Problem, I asked? I see you did not buy the extended warranty or the "kit" we offered with the lens. Big B.S. Of course not I said. Took another 2 days before they shipped my lens. Not the first such treatment from them. I would not touch Adorama wth a 10 foot pole, so to speak.

Please email me: Helen@adorama.com (external link) with the name of that employee; we do NOT permit, encourage or countenance our staff to upsell to customers; if this has happened then I need details and appropriate action will be taken in line with our internal procedures.

BTW I don't only post on POTN to respond to complaints; far from it.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,437 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 25, 2013 13:18 |  #26

:cry: It truly is a shame you had a bad experience, but goodness that is a pretty weak excuse for a public negativity campaign.

As DreDaze already articulated, you're wrong about Helen being the only retailer spokesperson that comes on the forum. Henry, the B&H spokesman comes on here and on the FM forums. He's even posted within the last week: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1307280 . I know made the claim was made out of ignorance, but ignorance is no excuse when words are delivered with hurtful intent.

I have a special measure of appreciation for Adorama on account of their "Adorama TV" channel on YouTube. They make them, but to use your words: "they don't have to." Ive become appreciative of how I have received excellent service and free photography training (Mark Wallace's videos are particularly excellent!). :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 25, 2013 13:32 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #27

With some people, they would rather complain than get satisfaction or their grievance corrected or solved. That way they can continue to complain and draw attention to themselves by the "Poor Pitiful Me" act or I was a victim of .......... In the south we call it a pity party because they want to drag down others into their "Drama" so others will feel sorry for them.

If you have a grievance, Put Up or Close-up. Looks like Helen has asked more than once on this board for specifics from a few different members, yet "SOME" members choose not to rectify their grievance.

Not mentioning any member names though.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

ay ­ jayy
61 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 25, 2013 13:48 |  #28

I've buy almost everything from Adorama, and I can't say I've ever had a bad experience. No one has ever called and try to upsell me on anything.

-Anthony
http://www.asekellickp​hoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
2,446 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 25, 2013 14:16 |  #29

ay jayy wrote in post #16063864 (external link)
I've buy almost everything from Adorama, and I can't say I've ever had a bad experience. No one has ever called and try to upsell me on anything.

I too bought much of my gear from Adorama and never had a bad experience. Once I ordered the wrong item from them but didn't notice it until it had shipped. I contacted them and they sent out the correct item and asked me to just return the other item when I received it. They adjusted my account so I was not charged for the first item. Excellent company and customer service.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 25, 2013 14:24 |  #30

gasrocks, you are seriously in error it the statement that no other retailer has a paid employee posting on this forum. As a matter of fact many vendors have representatives here. One of their main jobs is to deal with customer relations complaints that pop up here. Helen and the others are actually quite adept at taking care of business.

HelenOster wrote in post #16063610 (external link)
Please email me: elen@adorama.com (external link) with the name of that employee; we do NOT permit, encourage or countenance our staff to upsell to customers; if this has happened then I need details and appropriate action will be taken in line with our internal procedures.

BTW I don't only post on POTN to respond to complaints; far from it.

Now, if you had a problem with upsell pressure, gasrocks, I advise you to take Helen up on her offer. That will be a much better path than continuing to try to spread hate and discontent about a reputable vendor.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

sponsored links

3,976 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama trade in Service
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.