Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Jun 2013 (Saturday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reinforcements

jdetmold
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 22, 2013 18:43 |  #1

I posted this photo on my facebook and it just went crazy got picked up by a number of media outlets (once i said it was mine all gave me a photo credit) as well as the canadian army's facebook page (its now their cover photo & they asker permission before posting it)

As people may know southern Alberta is somewhat under water right now with record flooding. The army has been called in to help control the flooding, evacuate people, prevent looting, and help with the clean up.

IMAGE: http://jjdphotography.com/POTN/potnarmy.jpg

-Jeff
Gear List

sponsored links
CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 22, 2013 19:42 |  #2

I hope you're getting paid for its use.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 22, 2013 20:25 as a reply to  @ CoPhotoGuy's post |  #3

hope you're getting paid for its use]

Sometimes compensation is unnecessary... ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 22, 2013 20:28 |  #4

chauncey wrote in post #16055820 (external link)
hope you're getting paid for its use]

Sometimes compensation is unnecessary... ;)

Well...if it's being used by media outlets then he should be getting paid. It's a quality shot. The last thing we should be doing is giving media more free content.

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,113 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 22, 2013 21:10 |  #5

Really great capture. Getting paid for its use doesn't take money out of the soldier's pockets, so I don't see why you shouldn't be requiring compensation.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 22, 2013 22:53 |  #6

That's a nice shot, and yes, the media should have paid you. If they removed your watermark: http://www.photoattorn​ey.com …e-music-to-your-ears.html (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 23, 2013 00:26 |  #7

ya no pay and im ok with that the traffic to my site has gone way up since it started getting used and i have booked several jobs today because of it. sadly a lot of copies got out without my water mark only because i never expected it to travel so fast I put it on my personal facebook account and did not watermark it just low rez and it was allover facebook & twitter before noticed what was happening.

no media outlet has removed my watermark and all have given me photo credits.

-Jeff
Gear List

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 23, 2013 00:55 |  #8

jdetmold wrote in post #16056287 (external link)
ya no pay and im ok with that the traffic to my site has gone way up since it started getting used and i have booked several jobs today because of it. sadly a lot of copies got out without my water mark only because i never expected it to travel so fast I put it on my personal facebook account and did not watermark it just low rez and it was allover facebook & twitter before noticed what was happening.

no media outlet has removed my watermark and all have given me photo credits.

That photo is worth more than just credits. You really need to be paid when published. Just saddens me that the work is so cheapened these days.

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 23, 2013 01:15 |  #9

and I wonder if it's set up like the newspaper here.
Anyone can ask to purchase a copy of a photo used in the newspaper...the newspaper gets paid for the copy..not you.

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

Qbx
Goldmember
3,958 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 23, 2013 08:28 |  #10

Congratulations on all the great exposure you are getting and the bump in your business. I'd agree this is a good photo - but I'd be interested to hear what makes it a great photo. It's got quite a bit of w/a distortion especially on the right and there are some disembodied feet there too. The soldiers might be better if you had some fill flash on them or had selectively lightened them. It's not really an action photo as in wartime or even action in peacetime since it seems that the vehicles are stationary on the road.

-- Image Editing OK --

tacphotog
590 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 23, 2013 16:23 |  #11

Good pic. There's a lot to look at and it tells part of the story.

Canon 5D Mark II
24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 24, 2013 11:53 |  #12

Qbx wrote in post #16056846 (external link)
Congratulations on all the great exposure you are getting and the bump in your business. I'd agree this is a good photo - but I'd be interested to hear what makes it a great photo. It's got quite a bit of w/a distortion especially on the right and there are some disembodied feet there too. The soldiers might be better if you had some fill flash on them or had selectively lightened them. It's not really an action photo as in wartime or even action in peacetime since it seems that the vehicles are stationary on the road.

I agree with you 100% I wish I had a flash and time to get the feet out from behind the apc. but as this was not a posed photo and I have no special access its all I got. I wish I had a flash with me but I consider myself lucky just to have had my camera! What I wouldn't give to take it again with my studio strobes and some level of control over the situation!

I just saw an army convoy going a direction I didn't expect and decided to check it out, as it turns out they were regrouping and refuelling before heading to the flood zones.

-Jeff
Gear List

KaylaIveigh
340 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 24, 2013 16:01 |  #13

Your photo has gone viral all over twitter and FB. There really is no way to control it at this point.

The photo symbolizes hope for a lot of Albertans. Great job BTW. It's nice to "meet" the person who took it.

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 60D | 35mm 1.4 L USM | 85mm 1.8 USM | 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II USM | 600EX-RT Speedlite | Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 24, 2013 16:10 |  #14

It's sad that I can't see this photo that is so apparently so great. All I see is a block with a red X....not very compelling but if THAT can go viral on facebook then I guess anything can. :lol:

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 24, 2013 23:15 |  #15

rivas8409 wrote in post #16061077 (external link)
It's sad that I can't see this photo that is so apparently so great. All I see is a block with a red X....not very compelling but if THAT can go viral on facebook then I guess anything can. :lol:

Photo works fine for me.

sponsored links

1,764 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reinforcements
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.