Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 03:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any rumors about new G1X version?

Judder ­ Man
759 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 23, 2013 06:44 |  #16

shadowcat wrote in post #16056466 (external link)
I doubt they will have a new version I think they will focus on the EOS-M but I think they should keep it and dump the G15.

They are extending the range of EOS-M lenses, there is a wide angle version available next month in the UK forĀ£380, that's almost the price of a G1x.
I wonder how long the G15 in this series will last, I wouldn,t be happy if they discontinued the G1x and be forced into a G16, G17 etc. An EOS-M or any interchangeable lens compact system wouldn,t be an option for me as I would always have DSLR. So buying more and more lenses for a compact system is not very appealing.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

sponsored links
Rally ­ Man
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 23, 2013 08:48 |  #17

There's a guy on dpreview, Marco Nero, that is adamant there won't be another G1X. He says this was just a one off. If Canon does create more M models, lower and higher versions, I could see them just forgetting the G1X. After all, there is more money to be made in selling lenses and accessories.

canon | sigma | thinktank | sandisk | lexar | radiopopper | rrs | b+w | eneloop | creative light | westcott | upstrap

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 24, 2013 00:26 |  #18

Rally Man wrote in post #16056877 (external link)
There's a guy on dpreview, Marco Nero, that is adamant there won't be another G1X. He says this was just a one off. If Canon does create more M models, lower and higher versions, I could see them just forgetting the G1X. After all, there is more money to be made in selling lenses and accessories.

Sure, there's money to be made in selling lenses and accessories. But there's money to be made in large-sensor compacts as well, if you have the right offering. Unfortunately, I think that Canon got the timing/feature-set of the G1X wrong: it came in too late for the large sensor, alone, to generate much excitement among enthusiast-photographers and didn't have enough other features to generate the kind of excitement needed to sell a lot of cameras to the enthusiast market.

(Let's face it, if a large sensor is the main thing you're selling then your market is those who actually know what sensor size means photographically.)

If the G1X had some other especially outstanding quality or qualities, aside from the large sensor, it might have generated the excitement needed to kick sales along. Faster autofocus (I mean, really snappy) and/or overall speed of operation (eg. shot-to-shot performance in RAW mode) would have helped. But the most important thing Canon might have done, but didn't, would have been putting a much better optical finder in the thing. Larger, brighter and (most importantly) with accurate framing.

That's the one thing that the G1X has that other manufacturers' offerings don't: the competition (for large-sensor, fixed-zoom, non-system cameras) have either no eye-level finder or use EVFs (built-in or add-on). Canon didn't even need to go all high-tech with something like the hybrid finders Fujifilm is offering, or even include any non-framing indicators in the VF: they just had to make it larger and allow more accurate framing. Something like the not-especially-great 120% finder with bright-line frameline in my old, cheapish, Olympus superzoom from the 1990s. (Parallax correction and in-VF indicators would be icing on the cake, of course, but not necessary given the lack of competition.)

But Canon didn't do that, and I doubt they'll do anything similar in any putative follow-on model. I suspect they'll either kill the line off as a failure (which, from a profitability perspective, it probably is), continue with more-of-the-same through sheer inertia (a pretty standard Canon response) or do one or more really dumb things like:

1. remove the optical VF entirely (thus removing it's one unique feature in this class of camera);
  2. replace the optical finder with an eye-level EVF (just like everyone else);
  3. get rid of the tilt/swivel LCD (as they've done with the G15), removing another advantage over some of their competition; and/or..
  4. fail to improve AF and other speed-of-operation factors so as not to interfere with EOS-M and DSLR sales.

I'm liking my G1X. I wouldn't have bought if it wasn't a small-sized (by SLR standards) all-in-one camera with optical finder, tilt-swivel LCD, large sensor, good-enough movie mode and stabilised lens. That combination makes it valuable to me. Remove any one of those and much of the value (to me) would have gone away. But it's the optical finder (poor though a pokey 73% view is) which makes the G1X unique in its class and also the feature I fear is least likely to appear in future cameras - either because Canon doesn't follow up with a new model or because me-too-ism has them replace it with an EVF or no eye-level finder at all (which to me is much the same thing). One reason I bought (once the price dropped!) was to get this combination of features, which I don't think will be around in future.

...Mike

Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.
Day-to-day photos on flickr (external link), some older stuff at dA (external link).

Jeff ­ Smith
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 24, 2013 01:31 |  #19

Thanks for the info everybody. I think now I'll try to find a good used one and quit waiting around.

Jeff
Canon 7D gripped | 70-200 2.8L IS | 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM | EFS 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM | 50mm 1.8 II | EFS 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM | Speedlite 580EX

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 24, 2013 01:55 |  #20

I don't know what used prices are like near you, but a quick look shows one here:

http://www.adorama.com​/US%20%20%20%20572124.​html (external link)

which might or might not interest you. (I've no connection with Adorama aside from being a customer, and really have no idea if that's a good price or not.)

...Mike

Day-to-day photos on flickr (external link), some older stuff at dA (external link).

Rally ­ Man
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 24, 2013 08:01 |  #21

That's not a bad price. I got mine for $420 used. But I'm seeing less and less G1X for sale on the photography boards.

canon | sigma | thinktank | sandisk | lexar | radiopopper | rrs | b+w | eneloop | creative light | westcott | upstrap

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 25, 2013 14:07 |  #22

I'm thinking of getting this camera too and getting rid of my DSLR.

I hardly ever shoot things that move, and the DSLR is a beacon when in public situations.

Plus, for street photography or events that say (no professional cameras or dslrs) it is just a point and shoot, allowing more covert.

Thank you. bw!

flandog5
49 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 30, 2013 17:50 |  #23

Rally Man wrote in post #16056877 (external link)

While I agree with you that more than likely there will not be a G1X, I disagree about selling lenses. The current trend is in getting a smaller, take anywhere camera, with great resolution. Along those lines I believe the G15 is where canon will be going with the G series.

jarski
94 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 05, 2013 23:30 as a reply to  @ flandog5's post |  #24

Don't know about future models, but IMO firmware update can be expected only if Canon wants to buy more time for current camera, for reason or other. As G1x user, can only jealously watch by how Fuji and some other makers are treating their customers with feature updates and fixes. But, u go with what u got and make most of it :)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 14, 2013 12:23 |  #25

Jeff Smith wrote in post #16047615 (external link)
I'm thinking about getting the G1X and wonder if there is a new version coming that any one knows about?

Jeff

Only hopes and wishes. Canonrumors.com has no whispers of a replacement.

Jeff ­ Smith
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 17, 2013 01:12 |  #26

I just bought a like new one today from a member here. It should be here Friday. I can't wait to take some pics with it this weekend. Thanks for all the info.

Jeff
Canon 7D gripped | 70-200 2.8L IS | 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM | EFS 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM | 50mm 1.8 II | EFS 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM | Speedlite 580EX

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 17, 2013 05:27 |  #27

Jeff Smith wrote in post #16127283 (external link)
I just bought a like new one today from a member here. It should be here Friday. I can't wait to take some pics with it this weekend. Thanks for all the info.

Congratulations! Enjoy your camera, and show us some photos!

...Mike

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 17, 2013 09:30 |  #28

I like my G1X but feel I could not just have it, I need the G12/G15 to accompany it to make my shooting complete.

cal_gecko
48 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2013 10:28 |  #29

I'm also interested in a firmware update for the G1X ... I use the camera as a compact alternative to my 5D3 .. I love the camera, it takes amazing photos, but the focus speed is horrible.

My Site (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Smugmug (external link)

vas182
59 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2013 12:46 |  #30

I hope they do, but I think they are going to focus on mirrorless.

sponsored links

10,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any rumors about new G1X version?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.