Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 04:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Speedlite + Beauty Dish

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2013 10:39 |  #16

A beauty dish on a bracket seems like a terrible idea. A softbox would be a better option there. The weight, the extra specularity, and the fact that you have a harder light source that close tot he lens just doesnt add up. Beauty dishes have their place, but they arent the miracle tool people often think.

sponsored links
dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 13, 2013 10:50 |  #17

gonzogolf wrote in post #16027345 (external link)
and the fact that you have a harder light source that close tot he lens just doesnt add up

I'm not experienced enough to know what will and what won't work. I feel with some experimentation I may get a better idea though.

I can always get both :)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2013 10:52 |  #18

dancook wrote in post #16027392 (external link)
I'm not experienced enough to know what will and what won't work. I feel with some experimentation I may get a better idea though.

I can always get both :)

Sure you can. But do so having realistic expectations of what sort of results you are going to get.

dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 13, 2013 11:08 |  #19

gonzo, would you say these setups are no good? I was considering the beauty dish above to the side - not directly above.

IMAGE: http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5553/imx1485.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1042/959832721_f40efc4d19.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2013 11:22 |  #20

dancook wrote in post #16027472 (external link)
gonzo, would you say these setups are no good? I was considering the beauty dish above to the side - not directly above.

Note that 2 of those are attached to some mounting system. That setup is going to be heavy. I'm saying that whatever special quality you expect to get from the beauty dish (over another modifier of a similar size) will be limited because of the whole bracket thing. I'm essentially saying a softbox will yield essentially the same results (if not softer) at less than half the weight. Plus you can fold up the softbox and put it away afterward. The beauty dish is best used very close to the subject, when you back up its just a harder contrasty source. I'm assuming you want to use this as you were before at the cosplay events and its probably not going to deliver what you hope it will.

dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 13, 2013 11:34 |  #21

Thanks I will try out some softbox options

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2013 11:37 |  #22

I'm still curious though why you dont consider one of the manfrotto nano stands and a brolly box like the softligher. It folds up for transport and you can just move it around but still use a full sized modifier with optimal placement/

dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 13, 2013 11:43 |  #23

I guess I can consider it, in the crowded busy walkways of the expo I just feel that it will be more of a problem to make room for it

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2013 11:46 |  #24

dancook wrote in post #16027580 (external link)
I guess I can consider it, in the crowded busy walkways of the expo I just feel that it will be more of a problem to make room for it

Its not going to be any bigger than the unit attached to your camera in real terms. You can always use the bracket for the walkaround stuff, but use the stand for the actual portrait setups where you can get away from the crowd.

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 13, 2013 19:02 |  #25

I've been very happy with my Lumodi. http://www.lumodi.com/​beauty-dish.html (external link)

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 13, 2013 20:31 |  #26

I really don't think you'd want to be carrying something like this around, especially with a BD hanging off the front:

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3442/3945883860_50924a580e_o.jpg

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 14, 2013 00:59 |  #27

tetrode wrote in post #16028941 (external link)
I really don't think you'd want to be carrying something like this around, especially with a BD hanging off the front:

QUOTED IMAGE

Why not? Have you? I have and it's not all that bad.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

DDL
450 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 21, 2013 12:42 |  #28

dancook wrote in post #16027334 (external link)
I'm in contact with Jerry over email, so I've asked him to quote me some stuff.

I'm assuming the dish with twin bracket is all I need to adapt it to either a flash bracket or flash stand.

Yup - Jerry was a great guy to deal with.

I bought the double bracket as I can always just use 1 speedlight if required. The umbrella clamp needs to be sturdy as otherwise the dish will sag or creep down.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i223.photobucke​t.com …ender%20Test/Ka​cey1LR.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i223.photobucke​t.com …ender%20Test/Ka​cey2LR.jpg (external link)

DDL

GearList

ElliotD
67 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 21, 2013 18:57 |  #29

I've never tried my BD on a Flash Bracket. Interesting idea!

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 24, 2013 09:01 |  #30

i have the kacey dish (22) with dual speedlite mounting. Even with both 580 at full power you'll have to have the dish close to your subject when using outdoors. I had to get battery packs for my flash for better recycle times and longer use. I was going through so much power that I ended up getting extra battery magazines and batteries for prolonged use. It was an expensive investments when all added up. Of course, you'll want to control the hardness/softness of your light for different situations and that's when the sock and the grid come in to play as well. Honeygrids supplied me with a good grid for a good chunk of change.

Because I don't have an assistant the dish has been a pleasure to use as I don't worry about wind as much as much I used to. And the catch lights I get in my subject's eyes are better for it too.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links

10,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Speedlite + Beauty Dish
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.