Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 5 is out.....

BobbyMartin
250 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 23, 2013 22:26 |  #181

I noticed the same thing Bakewell... not even brushing, just moving my mouse. It's being noticed. http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/5423606 (external link)

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 5DII | 580ex II | Canon 16-35 f/2.8 MKII L | Canon 24-70 MKII f/2.8 L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS MKII L | Canon 100-400 f/4.0-5.6 L | Canon 50 f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 23, 2013 23:19 |  #182

Bakewell wrote in post #16058544 (external link)
I've just experienced an extreme slow down with an extended use of the adjustment brush on two different powerful computers. Totally different configurations that functioned fine with LR 4.4. Wow....the two totally different systems are just crawling!

BobbyMartin wrote in post #16058873 (external link)
I noticed the same thing Bakewell... not even brushing, just moving my mouse. It's being noticed. http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/5423606 (external link)

The new Spot Removal Tool brush that your link points to a discussion about is really slow. It's also not that great a tool if you are used to using the content aware spot healing brush in PS. I honestly feel it's only good for very minor edits and I'm betting that there isn't much Adobe can do to make it any faster.

I haven't seen any slowness with the Adjustment Brush tool though. It seems identical to LR4.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 24, 2013 06:27 |  #183

hollis_f wrote in post #16056880 (external link)
Sounds like you agreee with each other.

Huh?

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 24, 2013 06:29 |  #184

Bob_A wrote in post #16059000 (external link)
The new Spot Removal Tool brush that your link points to a discussion about is really slow. It's also not that great a tool if you are used to using the content aware spot healing brush in PS. I honestly feel it's only good for very minor edits and I'm betting that there isn't much Adobe can do to make it any faster.

I haven't seen any slowness with the Adjustment Brush tool though. It seems identical to LR4.

Why do you say that?

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 24, 2013 09:08 |  #185
bannedPermanent ban

Bob_A wrote in post #16059000 (external link)

I'm talking about the adjustment brush not the spot removal tool. Bluring background, adjusting exposure, etc. Had zero issues in LR 4.4. The actual brush use is crawling in LR 5.

Dave

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 24, 2013 19:46 |  #186

Bakewell wrote in post #16059889 (external link)
I'm talking about the adjustment brush not the spot removal tool. Bluring background, adjusting exposure, etc. Had zero issues in LR 4.4. The actual brush use is crawling in LR 5.

Thanks Bakewell. I've used the adjustment brush for exposure and saturation and haven't seen any difference in response from LR4. I'll try blur to see if it's sluggish.

Bob

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 24, 2013 19:56 |  #187

lsquare wrote in post #16059541 (external link)
Why do you say that?

My guess is that it's a large amount of data that has to be written and re-written to a record in a database, which in my opinion is going to be pretty slow. It's also probably why it isn't a content aware type of healing brush since that would likely require even more horsepower.

Adobe would have been better off not implementing the feature.

Bob

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 24, 2013 22:30 |  #188

Bob_A wrote in post #16061609 (external link)
My guess is that it's a large amount of data that has to be written and re-written to a record in a database, which in my opinion is going to be pretty slow. It's also probably why it isn't a content aware type of healing brush since that would likely require even more horsepower.

Adobe would have been better off not implementing the feature.

What makes you think that faster SSDs in the future (PCI-E base) and more computing power and address those issues?

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 25, 2013 00:23 |  #189

lsquare wrote in post #16062018 (external link)
What makes you think that faster SSDs in the future (PCI-E base) and more computing power and address those issues?

Nope, I don't think they will, not in the short term anyway and not at a reasonable hardware cost for most users. :) (really, it's just my opinion) Give it several years and certainly hardware could be available to use LR5's spot healing brush tool ... but I'm hoping by that time there will be significant code and technology improvements to deal with those kind of speed issues anyway. Maybe some sort of hybrid database/pixel editor approach. Fortunately right now the spot healing brush tool isn't that great anyway, even if it were fast, so for that kind of editing I'll stick to CS6.

The rest of the LR5 editing tools are fast enough on my hardware, which is all good. However, as per a previous post I made, doing massive amounts of metadata changes for some reason grinds my system to a halt. I also just found out that my i7 930 CPU goes to 100% (although RAM doesn't go over 5GB utilized) and really starts to cook, making LR unusable when I select multiple galleries to publish at the same time to Smugmug. Really weird, because it doesn't happen when I select one gallery at a time.

I appreciate the debate and discussion in this thread over performance issues. It's been an informative exchange and in a few areas really eye opening.

Bob

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 25, 2013 03:54 |  #190

Bob_A wrote in post #16062238 (external link)
Nope, I don't think they will, not in the short term anyway and not at a reasonable hardware cost for most users. :) (really, it's just my opinion) Give it several years and certainly hardware could be available to use LR5's spot healing brush tool ... but I'm hoping by that time there will be significant code and technology improvements to deal with those kind of speed issues anyway. Maybe some sort of hybrid database/pixel editor approach. Fortunately right now the spot healing brush tool isn't that great anyway, even if it were fast, so for that kind of editing I'll stick to CS6.

The rest of the LR5 editing tools are fast enough on my hardware, which is all good. However, as per a previous post I made, doing massive amounts of metadata changes for some reason grinds my system to a halt. I also just found out that my i7 930 CPU goes to 100% (although RAM doesn't go over 5GB utilized) and really starts to cook, making LR unusable when I select multiple galleries to publish at the same time to Smugmug. Really weird, because it doesn't happen when I select one gallery at a time.

I appreciate the debate and discussion in this thread over performance issues. It's been an informative exchange and in a few areas really eye opening.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I'm surprised that LR was able to push your CPU to 100% utilization. I haven't checked, but my i5 2500K at 4ghz runs Lightroom without any issues. I think once PCI-E base SSDs becomes cheaper and more prevalent, it's going to make Lightroom even better.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 25, 2013 08:32 |  #191

lsquare wrote in post #16062514 (external link)
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I'm surprised that LR was able to push your CPU to 100% utilization. I haven't checked, but my i5 2500K at 4ghz runs Lightroom without any issues. I think once PCI-E base SSDs becomes cheaper and more prevalent, it's going to make Lightroom even better.

It only does it using Publish and queuing up a bunch of galleries to publish at the same time. Looks like a bug to me, in that Publish seems to want to do all of the operations in parallel instead of sequential. Manually selecting one gallery at a time doesn't cause full utilization of the CPU to occur and images upload faster.

Bob

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 25, 2013 20:52 |  #192

what's the best way to convert my existing raw files to process version 2012? theyre all 2010 from lr3

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 25, 2013 22:44 |  #193

On a pc, select all, settings "Update to current Process"

ekinnyc wrote in post #16065072 (external link)
what's the best way to convert my existing raw files to process version 2012? theyre all 2010 from lr3

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

ShootaBike
337 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 26, 2013 03:00 |  #194

I read earlier in this thread that one may "delete" stuff form the older version when an upgrade to LR5 is performed...

I have always thought that an upgrade builds ontop of the old application and continues to use the same resources. In this case catalogue, backup etc...

So, do I really need to clean anything some time after the upgrade? I will be coming from LR3 on a PC.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon 580EX II | Metz Mecablitz 58 AF1 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM |Yongnuo YN-622C | Lots to learn...
Lowepro S&F Modular Carrying System | Naneu Pro Military Ops - Bravo Backpack
C μ on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shootabike/ (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 26, 2013 10:28 |  #195

ekinnyc wrote in post #16065072 (external link)

I would do it on a photo-by-photo basis as needed (when you want to make further tweaks to a given photo) instead of in bulk. There will be some differences in the rendering and you might not like how LR "translates" 2010 to 2012.

sponsored links

24,901 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 5 is out.....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.