Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rate the Photo Above You

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 25, 2013 12:57 |  #7456

merkaba wrote in post #16063697 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I like it, 7/10.. Just needs to be a bit more level maybe?..bit more to the left so the boy is straight up.

Here's my photo,

1/1600, f/6.3 iso640

IMAGE: http://radshutter-photography.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/0/3/14032034/9725676_orig.jpg

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

sponsored links
Gweebs
321 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 25, 2013 15:31 |  #7457

I am a sucker for pet photography. I'd like to see a little more contrast with the white fur. Making it a little more punchy, I don't think it would alter the mood of the image. Maybe add a catch light in the eyes...!?!?!

I'd give it 7.5/10.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3705/9127956977_13076a8da6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mytintanet/9127​956977/  (external link)
Sarah Rae (external link) by Gweebs 30 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D IV & 5D III - Panasonic G9
Flickr (external link) - Portfolio (external link) - Purpleport (external link)
Why not take a look and join my Flickr Group Flickr - Stand out of the crowd!!! (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 25, 2013 18:42 |  #7458

8/10. great light, great pose, interesting colors, i like every thing about this.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1232.photobuck​et.com …5334-Edit_zps08d9b360.jpg (external link)

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 25, 2013 22:10 |  #7459

I like it, like the expressions on their faces, the only thing I think I might have changed is bring her right arm up maybe on his arm, or perhaps on his chest by her face, I know it's just me but I hate seeing cut off arms, fingers and such. 8/10
Here's mine.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Terry
www.tlmair.com (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,675 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 25, 2013 22:22 |  #7460

TLMair wrote in post #16065264 (external link)
I like it, like the expressions on their faces, the only thing I think I might have changed is bring her right arm up maybe on his arm, or perhaps on his chest by her face, I know it's just me but I hate seeing cut off arms, fingers and such. 8/10
Here's mine.

I love the mountain view in the back of this, but I feel like there is too much foreground, to me that branch on the bottom right is particularly distracting. If it was cropped a bit more I think it would be a great photo, as it is now though I feel like the foreground doesn't add to the image. I don't want to give it a number since I'm not sure where it would be... I do like the shot overall though :)

I posted this one once already, but I did a more in depth edit on it now since I liked the shot

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/8984461950_1d1e053e9c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …erydaygetaway/8​984461950/  (external link)
Baltimore-7 (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

onefourthree
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 25, 2013 23:30 |  #7461

i like how the photo turn out , feels natural and no distraction. The lady is like telling him kiss me baby haha. 8/10

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/9141357752_7e013d80a9.jpg

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 26, 2013 11:40 |  #7462

8/10. the skin is a little blown out but it seems to work here as it draws me to her hair which frames her face well and then that draws me to the sunglasses and the neat reflection. Nice work

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i165.photobucke​t.com …/_MG_5441_zps7f​33cdad.jpg (external link)

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 26, 2013 12:11 |  #7463

3/10 for above.. not trying to be harsh but focus is way off, the colors make it look like it was taken with a point-n-shoot.. Look at examples and try to mimic what others are doing. You'll do great, just keep shooting

Here's one I took last weekend..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 26, 2013 12:38 |  #7464

@ Sens0r to respond to your criticism and no offense meant here either but I think you honestly missed the fact that it's a dead flower. There is a reason the colours aren't perfect. If it were a flower that had just bloomed it would be pink all the way through but that's not what I was going for. Secondly if you think the focus is so far off I think you either need your eyes examined or your monitor recalibrated as at normal viewing resolution on my monitor it looks fine and I'm wearing my glasses. It may look a tad soft blown up as it is and it's being hosted on photobucket so their compression probably has something to do with it.

Not trying to get snappy here and yes this is a rate the photo above you thread but I think that honestly your criticism is far too harsh and you come off as you're Ansel Adams or something. Why not take a look in the mirror and realize you're not a professional photographer by any means but judging by your gear simply a hobby shooter who apparently seems to have a rather high opinion of his own images.

Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8

LadFromNE
235 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 26, 2013 12:45 |  #7465

Sens0r wrote in post #16066829 (external link)
3/10 for above.. not trying to be harsh but focus is way off, the colors make it look like it was taken with a point-n-shoot.. Look at examples and try to mimic what others are doing. You'll do great, just keep shooting

Here's one I took last weekend..

6/10 ..instead of the bird in flight the attention goes to the right side of the frame , i think a tighter crop or more focus on the bird was needed

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3775/9130567991_a15974a2eb_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ladfrmne/913056​7991/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by _Lad_Frm_NE_ (external link), on Flickr

Canon 600D , 18 - 135 mm IS , 50 mm 1.8 II , 40 mm 2.8 , Helios 44-M 2/58
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 26, 2013 12:45 |  #7466

icacphotography wrote in post #16066891 (external link)
@ Sens0r to respond to your criticism and no offense meant here either but I think you honestly missed the fact that it's a dead flower. There is a reason the colours aren't perfect. If it were a flower that had just bloomed it would be pink all the way through but that's not what I was going for. Secondly if you think the focus is so far off I think you either need your eyes examined or your monitor recalibrated as at normal viewing resolution on my monitor it looks fine and I'm wearing my glasses. It may look a tad soft blown up as it is and it's being hosted on photobucket so their compression probably has something to do with it.

Not trying to get snappy here and yes this is a rate the photo above you thread but I think that honestly your criticism is far too harsh and you come off as you're Ansel Adams or something. Why not take a look in the mirror and realize you're not a professional photographer by any means but judging by your gear simply a hobby shooter who apparently seems to have a rather high opinion of his own images.

No, you missed focus, unless you meant to focus on the back of the bloom. You can see focus behind the flower slightly, looking at the leaf behind the dangling petal.

I would not say it looks like a point-and-shoot, but it's oof.

Don't take it personally though. I had about a two years worth of improving photos before my eye was critical enough to realize that I had been missing focus on most of my sports shots. Then I got the 1D3 and thought it was the bees knees right out of the gate. Over the next year, I slowly realized that I had still been missing focus (much better than before, but still imperfect). Just this last month I feel I've finally conquered the 1D3 settings to the point that I'm nailing it in tough sports situations.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 26, 2013 12:47 |  #7467

Sorry, but I agree with Sens0r. I'm having trouble finding the point of focus. Looks like the little brown innards are in focus, as well as some areas of some petals. I think a smaller aperture would have been beneficial.

While I understand the colors being muted because it's a dead/dying flower, the subject doesn't do it for me. There really isn't anything interesting about it. And to beat you up even more, the blue thing in the BG is distracting, and the cut off leafs on the left and bottom left kind of bug me, as well as the phantom leaf on the lower right.

Remember, the point of this thread is (or should be) to hear the harsh criticism, as a way to learn and improve. If he had rated you an 8+, and said "Great shot!", would you have ever learned anything from it? None of the ratings should be taken as a personal blow.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 26, 2013 12:55 |  #7468

KirkS518 wrote in post #16066916 (external link)
Sorry, but I agree with Sens0r. I'm having trouble finding the point of focus. Looks like the little brown innards are in focus, as well as some areas of some petals. I think a smaller aperture would have been beneficial.

While I understand the colors being muted because it's a dead/dying flower, the subject doesn't do it for me. There really isn't anything interesting about it. And to beat you up even more, the blue thing in the BG is distracting, and the cut off leafs on the left and bottom left kind of bug me, as well as the phantom leaf on the lower right.

Remember, the point of this thread is (or should be) to hear the harsh criticism, as a way to learn and improve. If he had rated you an 8+, and said "Great shot!", would you have ever learned anything from it? None of the ratings should be taken as a personal blow.

I shot it a f/8 the focus point was on the innards in the center and I was shoot portrait orientation. To get the composition I wanted pre crop and so the crop wouldn't be too tight I used what would be the outer right focus point on the grid. Lens was my 28-105 USM II. I just personally think 3/10 is way too harsh not saying I can't improve but holy &%$!, I think at the end of it the issue with it has to do with hosting as on my machine it's sharp across the image. Photobucket has been doing weird things to images lately

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 26, 2013 13:06 |  #7469

I think (and I don't know because I'm not sens0r) the DOF and the subject were behind his reasoning. 3/10 may be a bit harsh, but rather than dwell on the 'score', listen to what folks are saying, and use that during your next outing. Using DOF preview may have helped, and because of the close distance, I'm guessing f/16 or f/22 would have given better results. Just remember not to take the rating too seriously, or personally. ;)

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 26, 2013 13:28 |  #7470

icacphotography wrote in post #16066891 (external link)

easy now, its their opinion, you may not think you have missed focus but what ever you did focus doesn't contribute to an appealing image for them and whether you think you hit focus is irrelevant if the viewer doesn't see it.

also criticizing someones gear is way off base as gear has no bearing on whether you can judge a good photo or not. it was a cheap shot and uncalled for.

IMO there is no place for crude responses like you gave, they weren't trying to be harsh and they gave a good explanation for their rating. responses such as yours give some folks pause to give an honest opinion. sure "thats great!" and "awesome image" comments strokes the ego but when you play in the CC section you better have the backbone to handle it when your perception of your own work may not be reality.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links

2,123,352 views & 348 likes for this thread
Rate the Photo Above You
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.