Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Jun 2013 (Sunday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much $ are my photos worth?

Madjackdog
338 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 25, 2013 21:03 |  #16

Wow. I always chuckle when confronted with the hubris of thin-skinned 20 somethings who've taken three whole photography classes and has the experience of 6 years. Buddy, there's a big difference between having your friends swoon over your work, and actually producing quality stuff that earns it's place in the marketplace. You should be down on your knees, thanking Rad for taking the time and effort to try to make you a better photographer. As people have said, your work is fine, but no finer than hundreds of other 21 year olds with your experience. Every so often, I click open a picture on this forum, and It just grabs me, and I say "Wow!" It's a big leap from competent to "Wow", and few photographers make it. You've got the same chance as anyone else to make that jump, but whining over criticism meant to make you a better photographer is a poor way to start. Good luck.

PS - By the way, the recommended book is excellent.

Alan - 5DMKIII - 24-70 2.8 - 70-200 2.8 - 50 1.2 - 100 Macro 2.8 - 100-400 4.5/5.6

sponsored links
Fester
814 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 25, 2013 21:33 |  #17

hes just talking about selling them at a local art festival.
these are are art festival quality, price them where ever you want,just expect buyers to offer you less.
Don't let your ego get into jacking up the price too much or accepting 1/2 less and making a sale.
If you don't post a written sign with a price, you can adjust the price as needed.

Hey, don't let the ego of the others on here that are telling you to read a book on photography, get to ya. They're GODS.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Josh ­ V
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 25, 2013 21:50 |  #18

Welcome to the internet and a forum for photographers of all places. The nerve of expecting to get an answer for your specific question without having to hear opinions about other things you didn't ask about and then having it justified it by pointing out the section of the forum in which you posted your question.

You must be new here. :cool:

5D Mark II, 580 ex II, 24-70mm f/2.8L

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 25, 2013 21:58 |  #19

On a side note, I just googled Michael Freeman, and I must say I am NOT impressed, maybe it's just his subject matter that just doesn't speak to me, and I am sure he is a fine teacher, but not what I expected to see...just sayin!
Yep I just went a looked again, not my cup of tee as they say!

Terry
www.tlmair.com (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 25, 2013 22:52 |  #20

TLMair wrote in post #16065234 (external link)

tea...tea...a cup of tea. :lol:

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 25, 2013 23:33 |  #21

rivas8409 wrote in post #16065400 (external link)
tea...tea...a cup of tea. :lol:

You don't know what I meant, I could have been talking about the cup on the top of a golf tee :D
I know my spelling sucks:oops:

Terry

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,623 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 26, 2013 06:30 |  #22

Madjackdog wrote in post #16065100 (external link)
Wow. I always chuckle when confronted with the hubris of thin-skinned 20 somethings who've taken three whole photography classes and has the experience of 6 years. Buddy, there's a big difference between having your friends swoon over your work, and actually producing quality stuff that earns it's place in the marketplace. You should be down on your knees, thanking Rad for taking the time and effort to try to make you a better photographer. As people have said, your work is fine, but no finer than hundreds of other 21 year olds with your experience. Every so often, I click open a picture on this forum, and It just grabs me, and I say "Wow!" It's a big leap from competent to "Wow", and few photographers make it. You've got the same chance as anyone else to make that jump, but whining over criticism meant to make you a better photographer is a poor way to start. Good luck.

PS - By the way, the recommended book is excellent.

I didn't chuckle, I laughed out loud. You hit it right Madjackdog. Your comments are perfect.

Boy, three photography courses and 6 years of experience.....truly impressive.

One of the very best photographers on this forum has a line in his signature that states..."If you think you are above criticism then you are pretty delusional" (I hope I got it right, Phil)

You might want to consider all of what has been said to you and use it to not only become a better photographer but a better person as well.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 26, 2013 15:08 |  #23

Is picture 1 a crop of picture 2? Also get rid of the distracting borders when selling them it will make them more appealing to the mass crowd

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 26, 2013 15:30 |  #24

SpeedyGoo wrote in post #16067346 (external link)
Also get rid of the distracting borders when selling them it will make them more appealing to the mass crowd

Agree with this as well. Especially if you plan on leaving your "company" name in there. Unless you are truly someone famous, no one wants your name on "their" pictures.

And here's what I've found about people telling you that you are great: Friends and family are the first to tell you that you should sell your pictures, and the last to actually pay for them.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses
http://veritasimageryn​w.smugmug.com/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/VeritasImageryNW?ref​=hlexternal link

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 26, 2013 15:41 |  #25

How much is highly Relative.
You don't have to have MBA only street business sense is what you should rely on. Too high wont let it to be sold and too little will take you out of market in no time.
Having said that, if you sell these to live, you should set a price that first they are sold relatively fast, then more importantly, provide you adequate cash flow to deal with your daily life.
If it is only fun and hubby, place the price high as you like and give a good discount to all friends or interested people.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 26, 2013 18:03 |  #26

I don't want to sound callous, but I wouldn't buy any of them...

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 26, 2013 18:19 |  #27

TLMair wrote in post #16065234 (external link)
On a side note, I just googled Michael Freeman, and I must say I am NOT impressed, maybe it's just his subject matter that just doesn't speak to me, and I am sure he is a fine teacher, but not what I expected to see...just sayin!

...based on your comments I went and looked at his work: and I couldn't disagree with you more. I'm not sure what you expected to see. But I found his work to be quite remarkable: it really is iconic stuff. It isn't the "cookie cutter" "dime a dozen" work you typically stumble across when looking at photographers work. Reading your post kind of reminded me of this (external link).

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 26, 2013 18:25 |  #28

tmoore323 wrote in post #16067855 (external link)
I don't want to sound callous, but I wouldn't buy any of them...

But somebody would! Yesterday my wife and I went to Park City to go through some galleries and see if any of them accepted photography from other photographers, wile we were there we went into fine art galleries to look around, one of them had some lithographs my wife who teaches 2nd grade kind of laughed, and said they looked like kindergartners drew them, I pointed out that they were Picassos, and we both laughed under our breaths, crazy what people will buy, and what they will pay, Picasso is one example of that!!

Terry

ChimpChamp!
175 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 26, 2013 18:27 |  #29

banquetbear wrote in post #16067884 (external link)
...Reading your post kind of reminded me of this (external link).

This was hysterical.

[6D ׷ 50 70-300] flickr (external link)

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 26, 2013 18:32 |  #30

banquetbear wrote in post #16067884 (external link)
...based on your comments I went and looked at his work: and I couldn't disagree with you more. I'm not sure what you expected to see. But I found his work to be quite remarkable: it really is iconic stuff. It isn't the "cookie cutter" "dime a dozen" work you typically stumble across when looking at photographers work. Reading your post kind of reminded me of this (external link).

And that's cool dude, read my post above on Picasso, that's why we all have opinions, and mine is that he is not as great as he was made out to be, to be honest with you I don't know what I expected to see either, but from what others had said I expected it to take hold of me , it did not!

Just went and looked again, thought maybe a good nights sleep might help, it did not, nothing that I haven't see a thousand times in every anthropological, and earth history magazine, and wasn't that the critique of the OP's work, it looks like what others have done a thousand times!!

Terry

sponsored links

9,575 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much $ are my photos worth?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.