Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jun 2013 (Monday) 03:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F4 for weddings?

Fg7uuui
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 25, 2013 12:56 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

ou need F/2.8 and fast primes to do weddings.. you can get by w/o.

Sorry as english is not my native language I'm not sure if I got this sentence right....

I'm not in the situation that I do paid weeding shots anytime soon. Not as long as I don't own a second body (right now I'm thinking about the Mark III by the end of 2014).

But, I see lenses as a long term investment. I don't want to buy new lenses right now, then figure out next year that I'm good enough for doing stuff like weddings (I can't imagine that I am, but two years ago I also did't think that someone pays for a landscape photo of mine :-) ).

Right know I think about doing this:
Keep the f4 lenses and the 100 2.8. Sell the 50 1.8. Buy a 85 1.8 this year and also 35 2.0.
This would mean that I have 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 covered with f4 zooms and 35/85/100 primes.
Next year probably a 135/2L. A flash is already in the camera bag.

Then gaining some experience with shootings in the friends/family circle. Then if and only if I feel good enough for paid jobs, invest in a 70-200 2.8.

What do you think about this?

sponsored links
Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,400 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 25, 2013 13:10 as a reply to  @ Fg7uuui's post |  #32

^^^

I would sell the 17-40 and use the money for a better wedding L lense. You have the 24-105 F4 and a fullframe body, so you can take a couple of steps back and get that extra 7mm difference. You should not be using flash during a wedding, so either lens will be too slow if you are doing an indoor wedding. That's mho.

Fg7uuui
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 26, 2013 01:09 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Buckeye1 wrote in post #16063747 (external link)
^^^

I would sell the 17-40 and use the money for a better wedding L lense. You have the 24-105 F4 and a fullframe body, so you can take a couple of steps back and get that extra 7mm difference. You should not be using flash during a wedding, so either lens will be too slow if you are doing an indoor wedding. That's mho.

Not the best idea. My 17-40 is my most used lens. :cool:

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,400 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2013 10:02 |  #34

Richie1978 wrote in post #16065628 (external link)

It is for me, and I have been doing weddings a long time :p I could get rid of the 17-40L fast enough when I have it for two days. Like I said before, there is only 7mm different between the two on the wide end, and you can take two steps back get that. But the extra 65mm on the long end is very beneficial for reception work.

You said that you are venturing into the wedding business, right?

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 26, 2013 10:51 |  #35

Buckeye1 wrote in post #16063642 (external link)
Not sure what camera body you are using. Try the 135L F2.0 and the 50 F1.4 if you can not afford the 70-200L F2.8 IS II.

Leave the 24-105 on your camera during reception. With manual settings around F5.6, ISO 600, shutter speed at 100, and bounce your 580 EX I or II flash, you should be good all night long. Adjust the settings as needed due to available light. If you know how to use Kelvin, I would set that manually instead of average wb.

Buckeye1 wrote in post #16063747 (external link)
^^^

Richie1978 wrote in post #16065628 (external link)

Buckeye1 wrote in post #16066429 (external link)
It is for me, and I have been doing weddings a long time :p I could get rid of the 17-40L fast enough when I have it for two days. Like I said before, there is only 7mm different between the two on the wide end, and you can take two steps back get that. But the extra 65mm on the long end is very beneficial for reception work.

I think Buckeye1 is saying the 24-105L is a better range for receptions than the 17-40L (not necessarily for other types of photography). He also said for him that both lenses at f/4 are too slow for most weddings (indoor). I assume that he would rather use an f/2.8 or faster lens for the ceremony, so that flash would not be needed.

Buckeye1 do you use the 24-105L at weddings and/or receptions without flash? Or do you use a f/2.8 zoom or some other lens combination? The OP might get more out of what you use (when and why) in place of the 17-40mm.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Fg7uuui
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 26, 2013 11:22 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

First of all, the stuff I shoot most is landscapes.This is why selling the 17-40 would never be an option for me.

Nope. What I said was:

I'm not in the situation that I do paid weeding shots anytime soon. Not as long as I don't own a second body (right now I'm thinking about the Mark III by the end of 2014).

But, I see lenses as a long term investment. I don't want to buy new lenses right now, then figure out next year that I'm good enough for doing stuff like weddings (I can't imagine that I am, but two years ago I also did't think that someone pays for a landscape photo of mine ).

:cool::cool::cool:

Today we had a overcast day so I decided to grab my camera with the 24-105 and go to the local church.

My thoughts: The bridge and groom don't move around while in front of the reverend, so shutterspeeds around 1/50 should be fine. Therefore I needed ISO 1600 - ISO 4000. With the 5d MarkII and PP in Lightroom these ISOs should be fine for great pictures. I was worried more about the DOF.

And just to make it clear. I will surely add some faster lenses to my arsenal. The question is ONLY: Sell f4 lenses and buy 2.8 lenses OR add primes to the f4 lenses...

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,400 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2013 12:00 |  #37

jimewall wrote in post #16066584 (external link)
I think Buckeye1 is saying the 24-105L is a better range for receptions than the 17-40L (not necessarily for other types of photography). He also said for him that both lenses at f/4 are too slow for most weddings (indoor). I assume that he would rather use an f/2.8 or faster lens for the ceremony, so that flash would not be needed.

Buckeye1 do you use the 24-105L at weddings and/or receptions without flash? Or do you use a f/2.8 zoom or some other lens combination? The OP might get more out of what you use (when and why) in place of the 17-40mm.

To be clear, I am in no mean of arguing with the OP. I thought he wanted to get into weddings, so neither the 17-40 nor the 24-105 are fast enough for in-door weddings for me. I use F2.8 or faster for in-door weddings (subject isoltaion and lower ISO) - no flash.

However, as I have staed before, the 24-105 is perfect lens for me during reception. The range is great for large group shots or zoom in for a much smaller group like two to three people. I set it at around F5.6 since I most likely do group shots where they are layered to two or even three rows of people.

Fg7uuui
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 26, 2013 13:44 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

Buckeye1 wrote in post #16066799 (external link)
To be clear, I am in no mean of arguing with the OP.
However, as I have staed before, the 24-105 is perfect lens for me during reception. The range is great for large group shots or zoom in for a much smaller group like two to three people. I set it at around F5.6 since I most likely do group shots where they are layered to two or even three rows of people.

I never had the impression of arguing. It's really great help :D

First of all one important question: What is a reception???

Second, I absolutely know that I need faster lenses. The only question is, like I stated before: Sell f4 lenses and buy 2.8 lenses OR add primes to the f4 lenses...

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 26, 2013 13:50 |  #39

Myself and (it seems like just about) everybody replying thought this was trying to help the OP determine if f/4 was enough for weddings, and if not what would be?

I do not want to argue back with the OP either. But I would like to keep the idea about f/4 being enough or not going a little more, because the answers could not only help the OP, but anyone else who might have a similar question.

Richie1978 wrote in post #16059325 (external link)
Hi,

the regular answer to the question "What lenses for wedding" Is usual 24-70 and 70-200 2.8.

But I would like to know if there are wedding pros that use f4 lenses like the 70-200 f4 IS on a Mark II?

Richie1978 wrote in post #16063706 (external link)
...I'm not in the situation that I do paid weeding shots anytime soon. Not as long as I don't own a second body (right now I'm thinking about the Mark III by the end of 2014)

But, I see lenses as a long term investment. I don't want to buy new lenses right now, then figure out next year that I'm good enough for doing stuff like weddings (I can't imagine that I am, but two years ago I also did't think that someone pays for a landscape photo of mine :-) ).....

Your original post and these statements do imply that you are interested (at least potentially) in doing weddings. As well as wondering if f/4 is enough for wedding use.

Buckeye1 wrote in post #16066799 (external link)
....However, as I have staed before, the 24-105 is perfect lens for me during reception. The range is great for large group shots or zoom in for a much smaller group like two to three people. I set it at around F5.6 since I most likely do group shots where they are layered to two or even three rows of people.

Do you need to use a flash during the reception while using the 24-105L? If so, is the flash on camera, on a bracket, or off on a stand of some sort?

GEAR

Fg7uuui
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 26, 2013 14:13 as a reply to  @ jimewall's post |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

our original post and these statements do imply that you are interested (at least potentially) in doing weddings. As well as wondering if f/4 is enough for wedding use.

Yep. That's true. But there are two important words: "interested" and "potentially" :D

Maybe sometimes it's not that easy to describe what I mean, because English is not my native language :oops:

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 26, 2013 14:16 |  #41

I've not read all the comments, but don't always assume you can use flash at a wedding ceremony. Reception- sure, but lots of churches tell the paid photographer no flash during service. With that in mind, I'd always tell you to use f2.8 or fast primes. You get more light in to focus, even if you aren't shooting at 2.8, and you have the extra stop of light if you need it. ISO performance is better on a mk ii, but not quite as good as a mk 3.

Your mileage may vary :)

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,400 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2013 14:28 |  #42

jimewall wrote in post #16067094 (external link)
Myself and (it seems like just about) everybody replying thought this was trying to help the OP determine if f/4 was enough for weddings, and if not what would be?

I do not want to argue back with the OP either. But I would like to keep the idea about f/4 being enough or not going a little more, because the answers could not only help the OP, but anyone else who might have a similar question.

Your original post and these statements do imply that you are interested (at least potentially) in doing weddings. As well as wondering if f/4 is enough for wedding use.

Do you need to use a flash during the reception while using the 24-105L? If so, is the flash on camera, on a bracket, or off on a stand of some sort?

I do not use the flash during weddings in-door or out-door because it is very distracting. I absolutely use the flash (bounced/diffused) during reception. I often use something similar to the Gary Fong diffuser and set it at +1. Again, the manual set up is around F5.6, SS 100 and ISO at 640. You should be able to capture great images with proper exposure in any reception hall (most likely in the evening hours). Of course, observe your images and make minor adjustments as needed based on your available light and color temperature...When you mastered the manual (Kelvin) white balance, you are golden. You can try this at home :p

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,400 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2013 14:36 |  #43

Richie1978 wrote in post #16067075 (external link)
I never had the impression of arguing. It's really great help :D

First of all one important question: What is a reception???

Second, I absolutely know that I need faster lenses. The only question is, like I stated before: Sell f4 lenses and buy 2.8 lenses OR add primes to the f4 lenses...

Since you are just starting out, try the 50 f1.4 and 135L f2.0 as I have mentioned earlier. I did not like the 17-40L at all because the range does not work for me in wedding ceremonies and receptions. But you shoot landscape and use it often, so in your case, keep it. Again it is only 7mm wider than the 24-105 in the wide end.

Recepiotns are the "party" time after the actual wedding ceremony where they dance and have a great time celebarting with friends!

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 26, 2013 16:23 |  #44

Richie1978 wrote in post #16067156 (external link)
Yep. That's true. But there are two important words: "interested" and "potentially" :D

Maybe sometimes it's not that easy to describe what I mean, because English is not my native language :oops:

The ceremony is where vows are exchanged and the reception is the meet and greet party (usually some other location) after the ceremony.

Since f/4's use at weddings is what you originally asked about it is how just about everybody answered.

(Based on inside wedding ceremonies and inside receptions) If I summarized correctly, most seemed to say that f/2.8 zooms and/or faster primes would be what you would want to save for if you might want to do weddings. This is to be to prevent distractions by a flash, because some churches do not allow flash, and f/2.8 (or faster) can give better subject isolation. The f/4 lenses might work for most of the receptions if you use a flash.

Someone correct me or add to this if I am incorrect.

We will do our best to deal with the potential language difficulty.:)

Buckey1, thanks for the information on using the diffuser and white balance.

GEAR

Charles ­ Mackay
24 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 26, 2013 16:59 |  #45

I used a 17-85 mm f4-5.6 lens and an 85 mm f1.8 lens last year for a wedding, both on EOS 400D backs and needed a tripod for ISO 800 shots of the ceremony in progress without flash indoors. Outside - no problem. The 17-85 mm lens is really versatile as you can photograph one person, a couple or a group with equal ease and most importantly, quickly. With the newer bodies like the 600D/650D/700D, and their higher ISO settings, I'd guess the tripod wouldn't be necessary. Anyone checked this out with the newer bodies?

sponsored links

7,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
F4 for weddings?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.